Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the 94 4.3 V6 is with a balance shaft? I figure since I have the 94 and it has a timing issue I may as well swap the timing set while its out just to make sure it stays in time for the smog test.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes,no and maybe,lol. Some strange things happened at the plant, like different accessory brackets, so the regular belt did not fit. But the strange stuff seems mostly to happen to safari models. Anyway, easiest way to tell, the non balance shaft engines use exactly the same timing cover as a small block chevy, balance shaft cover is taller, different bolt pattern.

·
Super Moderator
14,352 Posts
Mark mine is a 94 TBI. It is a balance shaft engine. Look at the timing cover. Does it look like a old school small block. Non balance shaft. Or does it have a extended up area sloping away from the timing chain. Or possibly a plastic cover that was also a balance shaft motor.

It was a transition year motor they could have been using up old parts. Both the balance and non balance shaft motors. Or the plastic cover which is leak prone and a more refined newer version.

Best way to know is look up the casting number. On the back where the trans bolts on. One on the front is just factory info. When and where it was machined.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks everyone. I will check it tomorrow back hurts so i did work on them both a little today but when pain gets in the way I quit otherwise I will wake up tomorrow in much pain and not want to do anything. This time of year is always more painful for me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
markmitch said:
so does mean its a different timing set?
Yes. Mainly because of the limited amount of room behind the cover and balance shaft gear. Like Randy said, 94 is a messed up year because the 4.3 could be either motor balance shaft, or non balance shaft.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
markmitch said:
it sounds like any other 4.3 its quiet no rattles or odd sounds so its probably not a balance shaft engine.
If it's a non-balance shaft engine, you can add a double roller chain and gear set like your V8 has. I've got one in the engine in my 88.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK well today I got a distributor from pick n pull and it has normal amount of play in it compared to the brand new one I got for the 350. so if that fixes the erratic running issue then I may not even touch the timing set. Just tune it up and run it! lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,352 Posts
MechBob said:
Ya, Mark, not very many balance shafts developed the dreaded rattle, irregardless of what was posted before.
I have had 3 in my van none made the noise. I have the type with oil galleys to it. There is another type with bearings and splash oiling tho.

All newer than 96 vans had balance shafts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts