Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Astro has had many problems with door locks. I replaced the doorlock actuators in both front doors because they were sticky and would not always operate. That solved those problems. The locks sometimes switch on/off so much they sound like jazz drumming.

I traced it to the rear liftgate switch; press gently just enough to engage the switch and all works. Press too hard and all locks malfunction for a period of time. Generally, it locks all doors instead of releasing the liftgate latches. Disconnecting the liftgate doorlock actuator doesn't stop the malfunction of the liftgate switch.

I checked partsavatar.ca for the doorlock actuators, and it is confusing to say the least. For right rear doorlock actuator they list the same as front door actuators but they are distinctly different. I checked with the manufacturer (Bluestreak) and they list it too. I sent photos of the actual part but they claim their part is certified to fit. But it obviously doesn't. Wtf? Did GMC have variations in the right rear doorlock system? I doubt it. If anyone can shed light on this I would be grateful.

Partsavatar.ca is incommunicado about it. I've contacted them numerous times.

My current hack to make it usable follows: disconnect rear right door actuator while unlocked. It can't lock me out that way but it can still be secured by the liftgate lock system which overlaps the two lower doors. Then I pulled the inside trim on the liftgate to access the latch device to manually open the liftgate. A bit inconvenient but I can't get locked out by my possessed lock system. I will work out a manual system with trim in place next, probably a pull string. The other three locks have manual keylocks and two still work.

Anyone have info on removing the liftgate switch? It looks difficult. I got the rear windshield wiper out but am stumped how to get the switch out. Maybe just try harder.

Van is lifted, 4x4, with winch, woodstove, fridge/freezer with solar to lithium battery, tire carrier on rear 2" receiver soon to be on custom front receiver. Still needs sauna, hot tub, and billiards table.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
OK, off top of head- dutchdoor lock actuator is different,yes. The electrical switch connected to the key part, in dutch doors, does 3 electrical jobs, unlock all doors,lock all doors, turn on lift gate release motor, to open the hatch. Also involved is a relay, this allows the lift gate to be opened, BUT only if doors are unlocked. Quite common for the key electrical part to go bad, although some hace removed them, cleaned, and made them wok. But, the special relay goes bad,also. I really don't remember any of these parts being hard to remove/replace.

· Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,534 Posts
The locks sometimes switch on/off so much they sound like jazz drumming.
Most of the time rapid repeating locking is caused by the slider door pin switch, definitely something to take a quick look at. If you found it to be the hatch/liftgate pushbutton, there are threads on here that show how to remove/disassemble/clean/lube/etc.
I checked partsavatar.ca for the doorlock actuators, and it is confusing to say the least. For right rear doorlock actuator they list the same as front door actuators but they are distinctly different.
Not sure about that particular site, however if you say right rear vs rear right, those would be two different things IMO. Most of the time they will refer to the lock actuators as fitting the front left, front right, can't mistake those. When they say rear are they referring to the rear sliding door or the rear hinged door, how about the rear liftgate, is there a difference between right rear and rear right? LOL, but seriously, it's usually pretty obvious by looking at the pictures and comparing your parts, check out rockauto.com, they are usually pretty clear in their parts listings, then compare the part numbers. If you can compare it on the manufactures website, I always trust them over any generic parts store, esp compared to the compatibility lists on ebay or amazon.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Software Parallel

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, off top of head- dutchdoor lock actuator is different,yes. The electrical switch connected to the key part, in dutch doors, does 3 electrical jobs, unlock all doors,lock all doors, turn on lift gate release motor, to open the hatch. Also involved is a relay, this allows the lift gate to be opened, BUT only if doors are unlocked. Quite common for the key electrical part to go bad, although some hace removed them, cleaned, and made them wok. But, the special relay goes bad,also. I really don't remember any of these parts being hard to remove/replace.
Thankyou. I think you confirmed that the key switch is totally screwed. Mine has always done only one function: open liftgate hatch. The key has never inserted completely and simply pushes the button. I always wondered about that. I assume correct function involves complete insertion allowing the key to turn and lock/unlock, and open liftgate latches with a push. That makes sense. The inside must be busted and the contacts scrambled. Again thanks!
Most of the time rapid repeating locking is caused by the slider door pin switch, definitely something to take a quick look at. If you found it to be the hatch/liftgate pushbutton, there are threads on here that show how to remove/disassemble/clean/lube/etc.

Not sure about that particular site, however if you say right rear vs rear right, those would be two different things IMO. Most of the time they will refer to the lock actuators as fitting the front left, front right, can't mistake those. When they say rear are they referring to the rear sliding door or the rear hinged door, how about the rear liftgate, is there a difference between right rear and rear right? LOL, but seriously, it's usually pretty obvious by looking at the pictures and comparing your parts, check out rockauto.com, they are usually pretty clear in their parts listings, then compare the part numbers. If you can compare it on the manufactures website, I always trust them over any generic parts store, esp compared to the compatibility lists on ebay or amazon.
View attachment 288168
Thanks. What do you mean by pin switch on slider door? Two sprung pins complete an electrical connection when door is shut. Is that it? They appear fine. I've cleaned all the contact surfaces often.

The screen print you offered is from Rockauto? It appears to contain the same errors I've seen from other suppliers, listing fitments incorrectly.

Five doorlock actuators: both front doors identical and different from all the others. I think the other three are all different totalling four total different doorlock actuator parts, but the suppliers disagree. They list the front doorlock actuators for the rear right side-hinged door, but a visual inspection shows them as completely different. I sent photos to a manufacturer to illustrate the difference but they just said the part was verified to fit. It doesn't. Gmparts.com lists three part numbers for rear right passenger-side side-hinged doorlock actuator: 15109045, 15109042, 15109043. All have exact same fitment description. GM just referred me to AC Delco for clarification.

It seems the "verification " process screwed up and the error has been repeated down through the suppliers. Strangely, I can't find front doorlock actuators listed on gmparts.com for a cross reference number.

When/if I finally sort this out I will assemble a list of correct actuators for the five lockable doors on the Astro 2003 and post to this forum.

Today I used the info you sent and pulled the liftgate key switch. It had been reassembled wrong and the moveable contact was held pushed in, and was in wrong position. I cleaned and reassembled carefully and voila! It works! Like the way it's supposed to. All parts were keyed to go only one way.

Thankyou. I look forward to the opportunity to give back to this forum.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. As far as door lock actuators, it's a year thing. All barn door doors use the same actuator, throughout the whole vehicle production,all doors,I think. EXCEPT 97 and up, the slider changed to the one that is riveted to the door latch. This is also what was used in the RR lower dutch door. Astro may have been a test bed for these, as most GM's went to these,later on. You can buy the latch assembly, or the actuator separately. Which you could not do "back in the day". The hatch release motor is also just a push actuator, but is almost always sold with the linkage already mounted. Pretty sure this info is accurate.

· Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,534 Posts
What do you mean by pin switch on slider door? Two sprung pins complete an electrical connection when door is shut. Is that it?
Here is a picture of a broken one, sometimes they are just missing the tip, sometimes they break completely.

The screen print you offered is from Rockauto?
Yes
Gmparts.com lists three part numbers for rear right passenger-side side-hinged doorlock actuator: 15109045, 15109042, 15109043.
15109045 is the complete latch and actuator assembly and they also sell the actuator separately, but is DIFFERENT than the others, check the fitment notes, it says LIFT GATE(E54), compare them and look at the other one with the part stamped R2. Now that doesn't meant that that part is FOR the liftgate, just that it's for the models WITH a liftgate, the liftgate actuator would be 15694155.

Again, checking the images and the fitment notes. The difference between 42 and 43 is that 42 is with power locks ELECTRIC SIDE DOOR LOCK(AU3), and 43 is without, says EXCEPT ELECTRIC SIDE DOOR LOCK(AU3), you can see it has no actuator on it.
Compare to the actual part that you remove.

Today I used the info you sent and pulled the liftgate key switch. It had been reassembled wrong and the moveable contact was held pushed in, and was in wrong position. I cleaned and reassembled carefully and voila! It works! Like the way it's supposed to. All parts were keyed to go only one way.
Glad to hear that you got it fixed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts