Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what they're called. I also don't know if this is classed as interior or exterior.

My '89 Astro does not have the rubber tubes to pass wires through. I was wondering how hard it'd be to add these so I can clean up a lot of wiring and spare me some headache if a positive wire shorts out. Can these be bought new or do I have to run to a junkyard to get them?

It doesn't seem like they'd be a hard thing to add, but, figured I'd ask due to things being harder than they look sometimes.

· Premium Member
331 Posts
you can find the rubber looms ( thats what i would call it) in good condition at a junk yard, all you would need to remove it would be two screw drivers to pry the platic retainers out and a wire cutter to cut the harness. The hard part would be to install it on your van. there are plugs behind the interior lower kick panel vans with power windows so the it could be disconnected if the door needs to be removed. my advice would be to remove this panel ( the one between the driver's side wheel well and the dash) it's one screw to remove and feel around up there, its a tight spot to get to though, i had to remove my driver's seat so i could lay on my back to find mine. they are really tucked up in there. unplud the harness and pull it through the door jamb. its three plugs, and you need to feed the plugs through one at a time bc the hole is just big enough for one. its a job for small hands which i dont have. the other thing is does you van have the mounting holes for the rubber loom? bc they would suck to have to drill there? it should if it came with power window originally.... i hope this helps.

· Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. The van didn't have power windows. That's something I'm thinking about adding sometime in the future. I've just got a lot of speaker wire (4 6.5" and 4 1" tweeters in each door) and lighted mirror wiring that I need to clean up.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna "try" to get to the junkyard today IF wife ever decides to wake up.

· Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Astro355. Now I know.

Wasn't able to get out there yesterday to find any. I am gonna try again today. I need to take a break from the kid, wife, animals, and computer anyway. Also thinking about picking up a dash, if possible. Mine is sort of trashed and needs replacing.

· Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was able to get out there today. I got 2 of them for free. I also got a door handle due to my drivers side is starting to fall apart. After looking around a bit, I decided to go ahead and get an instrument cluster. Not sure of the year of van it came off of, but do know it's either a 94 or 95. No hockey pucks at all. The mileage is almost (30K less) the same so shouldn't be too hard to get it right (if it works). Also got a pocket full of bulbs for the cluster since I'm thinking about changing them to LEDs.

Now I gotta get the time to drill holes in the doors and van, big enough to fit the wire boots. Shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Almost got a solid slider door. God I wanted it but felt I didn't have the money. Plus I'd have to get it painted and new stickers. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks for the help again

· Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out to install the new cluster and guess what?

It doesn't work.

For some reason it will not plug in. Seems it is to deep on the left to plug in properly. I think I shorted out the speedo but not sure. It went to 100mph as soon as I tried to plug it in.

Looks like, to get this installed, I'll have to do some modification to the plastic area behind where the cluster sits and plugs into. I've checked everything else and that is the only conclusion I can come up with. Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.