Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Driver's Door Handle Replacement

35K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  highfigh 
I did this today too. It was pretty well explained so I'll spare the details. The only thing I'd have done differently if I knew then what I know now is I'd have drilled the hole closer to the door skin and missed the latch. It didn't cause any trouble, just made me trim the plug a bit and silicone it in place. I went with 1.25" hole and plug, that's what I had on hand. The most difficult part (that wasn't really that difficult) was getting the pintle behind the other rod. I also tweaked the rod a little to get it to operate sooner in the pull. It felt to me like I really had to pull on the handle to get it to open. Pics or it didn't happen, right? In the second pic I'm pointing to where the stud is. I lined up the hole with it. Pic 3 shows the hinge pin had worked it's way up, I have to wonder if that had anything to do with it breaking. Pic 4 you can see where I ran into the latch. 5 shows the stud, 6 the clip, and 7 is the finished product.

Be careful not to lose the retainer clip from the new handle. Mine popped out on me at some point. Not a big deal for me since none of my Christmas trees are intact, but for most of us that would be an "oh &*$%" moment if the door panel weren't already off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.