Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '92 Astro AWD 4.3 W code. It appears that my radiator needs to be replaced. Is there a recommended drop in radiator upgrade for more cooling ability?

rearden

· Registered
5,490 Posts
I put in a radiator from a 3rd gen Firebird. Some customizing was necessary. It never gets hot.

I need to take another picture not during salt season. :shrug:

· Premium Member
7,535 Posts
A/C whats that? I pulled that crap out and that helps keep her a touch cooler around town at least on the stock temp gauge. :lol:

· Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Do you need any extra A/C stuff to hang on to just in case...... :lol:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it seems the consensus is that there is not a simple drop in upgrade, but you can shoehorn in a different radiator with modifications if desired.
I guess for extra cooling, I should just add an additional oil cooler. I don't really need the extra cooling, but I thought since I needed to change out the radiator anyway I could improve the situation.
rearden

· Premium Member
7,535 Posts
astro355 said:
Are you giving it away?
Sure or eventually putting it on the curb. Its everything besides the compressor. So, condenser and that silver canister that sits left of the alternator. Not sure if the condenser is leak free or not? It wasn't working when I picked up the Van. Previous owner said the A/C never work since he bought it in 1998. I could take the stuff down to Evansville, WI by my mother's house sometime. You could pick it up there sometime. :D

· Registered
48 Posts
I've thought I needed a new radiator @ least twice in the 3 years I've owned my '99 Astro Van, but my buddy Reggie, a very good BY mechanic, told me I didn't!! The 1st time he cleaned it out using 409 (I think), but then he put anti-freeze & tap water back in it. He's on a well, and we live in Central Florida, so any 'tap' water has a heavy mineral content in it, esp. a lot of lime, since all our aquifers run through limestone deposits. And now my radiator is heavily sedimented with rust again. Time to flush it out & replace all the anti-freeze and water (50/50 mix is good enough for this area of Florida), but will use DISTILLED WATER this time!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.