Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Elecrtical nightmare part deux

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jn.mitchell59 
#1 ·
Would anyone know what the voltages are for the fuel and temp gauges? Should there be a 5v reference there? -2000 Astro LS

#2 ·
My 1998 manual (pages 8A-81-0 and 8A-81-1) shows a 12V lead directly from fuse#4 (10amp) to all dash indicator lamps and instruments.
I see no indication there is any sort of a regulated voltage involved, as was common on a lot of other older vehicles.
Schematic Font Rectangle Engineering Parallel

Schematic Font Material property Parallel Engineering

Rod J
Issaquah, wa

#3 ·
My 1998 manual (pages 8A-81-0 and 8A-81-1) shows a 12V lead directly from fuse#4 (10amp) to all dash indicator lamps and instruments.
I see no indication there is any sort of a regulated voltage involved, as was common on a lot of other older vehicles.
View attachment 289215
View attachment 289216

Rod J
Issaquah, wa
The diagram from Astro Will clearly shows itand shares it with the temp gauge.

Attachments

#5 ·
jn.mitchell59
Thank you and AstroWill,
OK, I found my error. It is shown, but just not as a discrete regulator. On my first diagram it is shown as discrete electronic components (some resistors and a couple of OP Amps) between the temp gauge and the speedometer.
You and AstroWill are correct in that there is a voltage regulator. That begs the question ( at least for me) , as to why our gauges seem to often be so 'jumpy'.
Rod J

#6 ·
The diagram from Astro Will clearly shows itand shares it with the temp gauge.
Akso bearing in mund, the "voltage regulator" could be a simple diode. Some schematics even show a "Fuel gauge controklmodule", around the OBDII port.
around the
Thank you. That is very interesting.
What year is your van?
I will have to compare the two diagrams, to see why one shows it and the other does not.
Rod J
Sorry, that should have been on the posy, my bad. 2000 Astro LS And somehow it's tied in with the cruise, 'cause it went at the same time.

#7 ·
Akso bearing in mund, the "voltage regulator" could be a simple diode. Some schematics even show a "Fuel gauge controklmodule", around the OBDII port.
around the

Sorry, that should have been on the posy, my bad. 2000 Astro LS And somehow it's tied in with the cruise, 'cause it went at the same time.
And clearly, I need a new keyboard, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.