Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking a lot here. I have an 89 chevy astro tiger gt I'm restoring and the electrical is a mess.

I've made headway but am stuck on a couple elements.

Not sure what this electronic module does exactly, but does this unplugged tail need to go anywhere?

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component Cable

Also have this black wire that needs a home, looks like it would go into the fuse block, it's in the harness from the radio and cigarette lighter and those wires go into the fuse block.

Electricity Electronic component Electronic engineering Computer hardware Hardware programmer

Lastly, any ideas about this issue: blinkers work fine, hazards stay steady. I've replaced all bulbs and both the blinker and hazard flasher. No change. Tried switching the flashers to see if a new one was bad but both work on thr blinker. I can't imagine it being wiring since the lights do come on. Only could think that the issue is in the diagnostic port board module where the hazard flasher plugs into.

Thanks! I have a build thread on the tiger provan forum if anyone is interested.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,754 Posts
Aftermarket produced cruise control module, if it's working properly without that plugged in then you are good to go. Same with the black wire, if everything is working then it doesn't need to be plugged in.
As far as the lights, the only thing I can think of is a faulty switch.

Also, make sure that all added wiring is routed and fused properly, otherwise you have a fire waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah I bought this and it was a mess, so no idea if all the previous owners work worked at some point. Radio was not working and the cruise control did not work either, however none of the vacuum lines were present either so I figured maybe that was why the cruise didn't work and the radio just didnt seem finished. The radio that was in it was some fancy entertainment system so the amount of wires running everywhere was crazy.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Engineering

Head scratcher for sure. Maybe a ground isn't present in the hazard which causes them to just stay on?

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,754 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I bought this and it was a mess, so no idea if all the previous owners work worked at some point.
Head scratcher for sure. Maybe a ground isn't present in the hazard which causes them to just stay on?
Yeah, I just see that red wire stuck in the fuse box and it reminded me of a van I picked up. Arrived at the guys house, got it running and about 30min into the drive home I have a burning smell, that wire was hot enough to melt the carpet that it was touching.
If the turn signals are working properly, the only two things that I can think of would be a faulty flasher or a faulty switch, because the turn signals would use the same ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I saw the ignition wire and didn't know if that is how they are supposed to be, thr other end of the fuse insert is just a metal post but there is an inline fuse on that wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts