Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for people's thoughts about an issue I have now in the middle of my restoration of a tiger provan.

I'm basically doing a complete restoration and am close to finishing the project.

Last time I started it I noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the tailpipe along with a crazy amount of water. I'm assuming the head gasket is shot.

I can do that work but am not motivated. Pulling an engine that I don't know any of the history of that also has a rollback on the odometer on the title just to replace a head gasket seems like a waste... if the engine is out why not do xyz.... basically I have project creep.

I want to use this van on some long road trips starting next spring but feel stuck.

Do I try some of that gasket seal and hope to get a few more years out of it? I don't want to get stuck in the middle of Canada or canyon land when it fails.

Do I do a rebuild of the engine which I would probably have to source out.i have about $700 in parts and 2 weeks of my time replacing the following:

Degreased the entire engine and components, we are talking like 3/8 of an inch of shit everywhere. Just doing that I noticed a dramatic drop in operating temp.

New belt, hoses, wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor, rebuilt TB, new vacuum lines and all valves, evap, so on. Flushed all fluids, new injectors and wiring.

Or do I just say fuck it and buy a crate engine?

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
You can transfer all new parts to another engine, crate or not. Crate will already be degreased. Even a used one from a reliable history vehicle sounds like less of a gamble than rebuilding the one you have now for your purposes. Maybe rebuild it later, or just core it out.
There is someone incidentally posted today that due to excessive frame rust, they will be parting out theirs.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,133 Posts
I used the Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer and it worked for me.
I was NOT about to pull the engine for a head gasket either.

It's not 100%.. but it has high reviews and has helped many.
It's been a year and 10,000 miles later.. still fixed.
They say the fix is permanent. Works for me.

But I wasn't blowing white smoke either.
Mine was just coolant in cylinder overnight.. and pushing coolant out of radiator causing overheating. Apparently a fixable small leak.

Worth a try?
What are your alternatives?
It's up to you

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
This is new information for me. I could have used this when my Nissan had an issue, if it was out then. I'm going to look into this more!

30 minutes later...

I didn't catch how long it has been around, if it could have saved my Nissan, (I loved that little bad sport street racer) but I'm going to get me some of the oil version tomorrow and try on my subi as it has a seeping oil leak from the head gaskets.
Thanks for pointing this out
Mmusicman

P.s. finally got a hitch installed, class 3. I'll probably build a thread up on that later.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Looking for people's thoughts about an issue I have now in the middle of my restoration of a tiger provan.

I'm basically doing a complete restoration and am close to finishing the project.

Last time I started it I noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the tailpipe along with a crazy amount of water. I'm assuming the head gasket is shot.
….

Or do I just say fuck it and buy a crate engine?
Assuming it is a head gasket is a stretch. These vans don’t typically blow head gaskets (happens but not super common)…. What IS super common (as in every van does it eventually) is that the lower intake manifold gasket fails..l

Smoke, loss of coolant, water in exhaust…. Can kind of look like a head gasket, but often not.

You can do the intake manifold gasket in the van in a weekend with basic tools.

to diagnose you can do a bubble test, compression test…. Leak down test if you want…

But you might shift your focus to the intake manifold gasket, same symptoms, much more common, and much more easily repaired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming it is a head gasket is a stretch. These vans don’t typically blow head gaskets (happens but not super common)…. What IS super common (as in every van does it eventually) is that the lower intake manifold gasket fails..l

Smoke, loss of coolant, water in exhaust…. Can kind of look like a head gasket, but often not.

to diagnose you can do a bubble test, compression test…. Leak down test if you want…

But you might shift your focus to the intake manifold gasket, same symptoms, much more common, and much more easily repaired.
Thanks everyone. Yeah a fellow over on the tiger forum mentioned to take a look at the lower intake as well.

I'll take a look at that in the next week, would be nice if that ends up being the culprit.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,261 Posts

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,261 Posts
Weird, would make sense to add it again.

Anywho, I would find out exactly where it's leaking and go from there. Borrow a pressure tester from LAPS and put the cooling system under pressure while cold so you can locate your leak(s). You don't have to pull the engine to do most work, so depending on your circumstances it may be best to just leave the engine in place.

Any mixing with the oil? Was it an excessive amount of water or just a perfect morning for condensation? How much are you having to add to the reservoir?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Going to try to test this weekend, but would you recommend replacing the upper gaskets as well while doing this work?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts