Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Any suggestions on getting it out? Soaked it for 3 days in pb blaster, heated it up, can't move the extractor a bit, even bent my conduit pipe I use as an extension try to back it out.

Automotive tire Tire Tread Bicycle tire Automotive design

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
339 Posts
Maybe you can try this:
1 Make the water level is lower than the manifold.
2 Remove the hoist bolt / bracket to have lees heat extracted from area, optional
3 Heat up with touch the surrounding area of the stuck fitting
4 Get some freeze spray for plumbing or for hair or some other spray that gets cold when sprayed on and spray extractor/ fitting.
5 Then quickly, before the surrounding area cools off, try to unscrew the fitting.
If the type of spray you use is flammable then get some wet rags ready to smudder the flame.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,451 Posts
Get a fluted easy out, they seem to work better imo. You can also use a hack saw blade and cut though the fitting, just don't cut through the other half of the threads :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the advice and tips. Used a hacksaw and slowly got it out.

Unfortunately still smoking the same amount and color. Water still dripping out of tailpipe. Should I let it run for a long time before concluding the engine is toast? I ran it for about 15 minutes with no change. You can see the smoke pretty well in the below photo.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Plant Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Looks blue, meaning oil burning.
Gas engines create water vapor. Sitting and idling may not clear the water out of the exhaust. In humid areas, vapor from atmosphere also condenses inside the exhaust. I reccomend replace pcv valve, make sure system is open, then take it out and put a few miles on it.

·
Registered
92 stro base
227 Posts
Is our coolant disappearing along with water dripping out of the tail pipe after that work you did?
Does your exhaust smell like coolant?
If no to both of these, then it is most likely condensation. If yes to either, then you have a head issue.
You could be burning oil via piston rings and or valve guide seals, cracked head gasket, cracked head, or block even, although not as likely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In one of my many Astro van experiences, I found another source of white smoke/water in the exhaust. That pain in the *** vacuum operated water flow control for the heater, if you have that type. The seal in the valve fails and it actually sucks water into the intake through that valve. Was a shocker to me, but was running out of ideas. Cylinder test showed nothing and intake was new. Sometimes you get lucky and it's just something stupid, and easily replaced. Just unfortunate that you don't always find the "easy" fix first.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,487 Posts
No photo, but it is located below the W/S washer and radiator overflow bottles, at the junction of several heater hoses, below the heater box assembly on the passenger side. Black plastic with 4 (or 6 if you have rear heat) hoses connected to it....and a vacuum line (a common failure item that causes heat only to defroster vents).
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

21 - 32 of 32 Posts