Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
TITOCRX said:
Astro Van Flywheel Removal/install how can i do that? i dont have a lift to do this to make it harder.help me please
I did this once on a full-size Blazer 4x4, it wasn't too bad... Get some long bolts to go through the bellhousing to engine so you can slide the tranny back, remove the bellhousing bolts and put in two or more of your long bolts. You'll want something like a jack under the oilpan to keep it all from sagging. You'll probably need to drop the starter for the flexplate to clear, if there are shims on the starter keep track of them. Remove the torque convertor to flexplate bolts. Unbolt the tranny from the crossmember so it can slide back. Pry the transmission free and slide it back; you only need to move it back enough to get at the flexplate to crankshaft bolts, an inch should be plenty to get a wrench in there. A ratcheting wrench would be handy here. That's it... slide the old flexplate out and the new one in, reassemble. Probably a good idea to get new crank bolts, they're like grade 8, use some locktite and make sure they're torqued up good. Check the engagement of the starter gear.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Consider replacing the rear main oil seal while you have the trans out. You might want to remove the doghouse. Disconnect battery. Unbolt trans dipstick tube from back of passenger cylinder head. Remove driveshaft (mark for assembly), starter, and heat shield on passenger side of trans. Disconnect all electrical connectors, two cooler lines, and shift cable. Remove torque converter access cover. Remove torque converter bolts (mark TC and flexplate for assembly). Support oil pan with jack stand and wood, support trans with floor jack and wood. Remove trans mount and crossmember. Remove all engine to trans bolts. Slide trans back and down.
Flexplate bolt torque 74 ft. lbs.
Torque converter bolt torque 46 ft. lbs.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Out of curiousity what wrong with the current one? What ever is wrong do you know what caused it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whats wrong with the current one is what the mechanic told me. he say that the flex plate was bended. he told me that he applied heat to it and straight it the flex plate. it worked fine but days after he fix it the starter was making some crazy noise like so row and the van did not started.i took it back to hem and he say that i have to change the flex plate.i don't know how hard is it to change it but i dont have the money to pay a mechanic to do it.does someone have some pics on how to do this? sorry if im asking too much but i need to do this.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Yep, I'd replace the flex plate with a new one. Sometimes it's easier to do a job when you're not frustrated by all the other stuff around the area you're working.

Do you have a place to work, like a garage?

I may be easier for you to pull the sub-frame and then separate the transmission from the engine and replace the flex plate. I've never done this job on an Astro/Safari, so I'd be interested in what others have to say.

I have, on the other hand, used a come-along to raise and lower auto transmissions and transfer cases from Jeeps and Vans that are up on 4 high jack stands. It works, but it's not my favorite way to do a job. You may want to rent/invest in an engine crane, or at the very least, a transmission jack.

I also use the long bolt method to slide back the transmission... with a twist. I use threaded rod with nuts on each side so that I can draw the transmission back into place easily. You may be able to use this method to slide back the transmission enough to remove the flex plate. It's not hard. You have to have a few inches of room to get a ratchet into the area to remove and reinstall the bolts. Once you gain that room, be sure to mark the relationship between the flex plate and the torque converter. It makes re-assembly a whole lot easier.

I'll be looking forward to what others have to say.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
I am the first person to admit I am not a awd guy.Just a thought through.He has a awd van and that I would think would add wt to muscling a tranny on his back in a driveway or home garage.I have a set of starter bolts(the longer ones) that I cut off the heads and ground a slot in them for tranny guides.Once I have the tranny bolted back up,I take a screwdriver and remove them.

Some cities have rental garages with lifts and I am not sure if he could find one of them in his location.

I totally agree with a rental tranny jack.I suggest getting the van as high as he can safely.The key word is safely.

So where is he located??.Anyone near to meet and help out??.It will take more than one person to do this job.

·
Banned
9,414 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1995 chevy astro van that has the same problem with the Crack shaft converter bolts being loose it sounds like a butch of nuts hittin aluminum under there. How hard is it to tighten the bolts back up? I wanna do the job myself cause I can't afford to take to the garage and really don't trust any of these 2nd hand wanna be's. These days the wanna be's are up all night smoking on their pipes and if they work on it and only under there 5 hours of hitting wonderland they MacGyver it with some duck tape and wanna charge ya a arm and a leg and possibly a lung. So yea I'd rather do it myself. I know pretty much the simple stuff thanks to my dad and me climbing up under vehicles with him and handing him tools to get the job done. Guess u could say I'm a wanna be to but I'm not puffing on some glass piece. Sorry but that's just my opinion, and I wanna get to point A and back to point B with no problems. And plus if I can dovand get this job done on mine we'll then I can rub it in my dad's and my husband's face cause they always busting my balls even though I don't have a set, but sometimes think I got bigger ones. The dirt and Greece don't bother me I always liked to get dirty that's how I grew into this sweet little smart *** I am today lol.. but any help would be greatly appreciated. Not manual help just thoughts and words and maybe a few prayers for this Ole girl... Thanks and have a very Happy Thanksgiving and be safe...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1995 chevy astro van that has the same problem with the Crack shaft converter bolts being loose it sounds like a butch of nuts hittin aluminum under there. How hard is it to tighten the bolts back up? I wanna do the job myself cause I can't afford to take to the garage and really don't trust any of these 2nd hand wanna be's. These days the wanna be's are up all night smoking on their pipes and if they work on it and only under there 5 hours of hitting wonderland they MacGyver it with some duck tape and wanna charge ya a arm and a leg and possibly a lung. So yea I'd rather do it myself. I know pretty much the simple stuff thanks to my dad and me climbing up under vehicles with him and handing him tools to get the job done. Guess u could say I'm a wanna be to but I'm not puffing on some glass piece. Sorry but that's just my opinion, and I wanna get to point A and back to point B with no problems. And plus if I can dovand get this job done on mine we'll then I can rub it in my dad's and my husband's face cause they always busting my balls even though I don't have a set, but sometimes think I got bigger ones. The dirt and Greece don't bother me I always liked to get dirty that's how I grew into this sweet little smart *** I am today lol.. but any help would be greatly appreciated. Not manual help just thoughts and words and maybe a few prayers for this Ole girl... Thanks and have a very Happy Thanksgiving and be safe...
Oh and it's awd to

1 - 16 of 16 Posts