Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,238 Posts
Wow.. that's a really LONG post for fog-lights...lol. I guess you're pretty excited about your first wiring job. There's not really that much to them.. been wiring fog lights up since the 70's. You give them power and they light up. It's an old-school thing, they look nice, and they add lighting down the road.

The Hella's are good quality lights.. and they look great.

I didn't want to tap into the factory wiring so I ran power back to the same accessory stud on the under-hood fuse box. This means that the lights are always live and I have to remember to turn them off.
BIG MISTAKE (wiring them hot) in my opinion! You WILL forget to turn them off one day, and your dead battery may just leave you stranded. Not to mention completely killing a battery reduces it's capacity and life too.

I have ALWAYS wired mine thru a relay. The signal (trigger) wire can be wired to any ignition or accy tap at the fuse box. There is NO chance of forgetting to turn them off (or on).. they simply come on with the key. You can wire a bypass micro-switch if you feel you would ever have a need to turn them off. I can't think of any reason.

On my 2000.. I wired my fog light "relay signal" to the head lights circuit.. since the DRL's run constantly when in gear. I like the look of them running day or night.. looks cool and extra safety too. I never have to think about them.. they just come on and turn off automatically.

I dug up a 40 year old set of "vintage" fog lights (from the early 80's) that I had been storing forever. I had them on my full-size custom hotrod 70's van back in the day. They have great focus, throw, and aim with high-quality lenses. In my case (with my high lift) I was able to tuck them under and behind the bumper for a more custom stealth fit look, without sticking out. They are mounted solid to the subframe...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

My 92 sits way too low (always fixing broken lights) so they are now located higher up behind the grill. I've NEVER had a van that didn't have fog lights.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,238 Posts
Oh and hopefully your hot-wired toggle switch is a "lighted" switch.. so you can see when it's on

1 - 3 of 3 Posts