Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

I have acquired a 96 Astro AWD and one issue I have is the heater blower works and ac does but air seems to only blow through screen demister vent and 2 side vents on the dash (and the 2 under the frt seats) but I cannot get air to blow through the dash vents?

also, is there anything I should be looking to service (fluids, belts etc…) the van has done 160,000 Km’s
Attached are photos of van.

We got the van in Spain and drove it back to uk to convert to camper van

regards,
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,486 Posts
A VERY common problem!
Very often it is found that a vacuum leak is the reason. A lack of vacuum, or weak vacuum, defaults to the defroster as you are experiencing.
The vacuum source comes from the upper rear of the motor on the driver side, and routes to the check valve and vacuum ball and heater water control valve, in the vicinity of below the heater box.
There are many threads and u-tube vids about the subject, so you should have little trouble finding more details.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

pS> Interesting exaust setup. Looks like somebody did a nice modification to the rear bumper to accommodate that 4-pipe outlet. Is that bumper and pipe setup an aftermarket item? I see the front air dam is certainly not common here in the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rod J,

it gives me something to start with

the van is a Japanese import and apparently came to uk with all mods already carried out. It’s has the Xenon body kit fitted and the rear bumper has been moulded to take the 4 pipe exhaust
Overall the van is in good condition, just the paintwork has been ruined in the sun ( repaint planned for next year) and a lot of the rubbers and plastics (clips/ ac cover and heater cover under bonnet) have degraded due this also and become quite brittle but apart from that it runs like a dream and sounds like Chiinook with that exhaust

regards,

anthony

·
Registered
197 Posts
That vacuum hose is a dealer part but can now be found at other places. GM part number 1530578. Your location may make it hard to get one. It has rubber 90 degree ends and is semi rigid black plastic tube for the length. This stuff just crumbles when it gets old. GM started using this in the 1980's. AMC/Jeep used it as well in the 1980's in more than one colour for their 4wd vacuum systems. Also it can get damaged if not careful attaching the doghouse. The area of where the upper passenger side long bolt to the firewall, the 15mm one is where it gets damaged. Since 1997 we are on our 3rd replacement hose and it is due for a new one right about now. If the rubber ends are still ok you may get lucky replacing the hard line with something.

You can take antenna tubing from an old ghetto blaster or radio and cut two 1.5 inch pieces of the right thickness and put those in the rubber pieces then used good old rubber vacuum hose. This fix can be permanent if done right.

More Information for GM GENUINE 1530578

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...control-panel-vacuum-hose-15-30578/18056577-P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts