Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like a write up on removing and installing a fuel injector spider on my 1995 4.3 Astro van.
I'm attempting to this myself. It's nothing like a rail, and money's tight. Can I get some help on this PLEASE! THANK YOU

·
Registered
226 Posts
I highly recommend the factory service manuals for your year van. There are three in the set, service manual, fuel and emissions (it's actually called the light duty truck manual and covers multiple light trucks/vans), and the electrical diagnosis manual.
Most of the time they can be had for fairly cheap on ebay, but not often as a full set.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,489 Posts
Not to be 'offputting' in the slightest sense...
Have you searched the forum for your year and FI style - it really helps to be specific ?

There are quite a few posts w/ just what you are looking for - have seen them thru the years.
Using G00gle and adding "astrosafari.com" to your search string is immensely helpful.
This site's search feature is as old and crappy as Albert Finney - BUT, still works sometimes.

Good Luck - I am anxious to see and read the responses.

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you searched the forum for your year and FI style - it really helps to be specific ?

There are quite a few posts w/ just what you are looking for - have seen them thru the years.
Using G00gle and adding "astrosafari.com" to your search string is immensely helpful.
This site's search feature is as old and crappy as Albert Finney - BUT, still works sometimes.

Hi #47561 Don't wanna sound stupid but what is FI whatll happen I'll think of it after I push send lol.
Just now ordered a obd1 reader, and the code book for $1,67 the reader a bit pricy but my thing is a paperclip and me going that way, I have a BIG fear of shocks.and I figure I'll never be able to afford a new car model, AND nor do I want one, this reader will come in real handy.
When I had my tune up done, which for the first time in a very long time I didn't do myself, I asked if he'd diagnose the fuel injector,it is, and Strollys been living on sea foam so now it's time.shes stuttering. there are more issues , I have a few days for the reader and book. Ugh... sitting at home,not my bag....😁😇🤣😒
Thank you, Have a great day!

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fuel injector spider = FI spider
Lol ...
Didn't see that one coming. Where can I find a FI that fits my 95 astro. All I find is for the 96 mines 4.3, I looked on Amazon they have the injectors without the spider, what if the spiders bad.. I need some good info man... I need my ride back!😫 and no cheese with that please. 😁 thank you

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
96 isn't compatible. Rockauto has a listing for a rebuild service. Couldn't find any locally?
No nowhere. Man am I stuck, should I get the injectors and put them on the old spider,can I do that? Found them on Amazon for 75$

How do you know you need a fuel injector spider? What is wrong with yours?
OK well I went to get a tune up someone mentioned the injector so I asked the guy who did my tune up if he'd diagnose it for me, he did and said yes it was the injector. I went to auto zone after the tune up and seafoamed it. It was good for awhile but is clogged again. Thinking there worn out. It sputters,runs terrible. It's like an injector gone bad.what should I do

How do you know you need a fuel injector spider? What is wrong with yours?

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,261 Posts
Unfortunately parts are kind of a PITA at the moment, there is one on ebay for WAY too much $.

The reason I was asking is because it's not uncommon for the connector to need replacing as well as a leaking fuel pressure regulator on those. Just wanted to make sure you weren't replacing it when it wasn't needed.

Probably wouldn't hurt to try some fuel injector cleaner while you are searching.

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately parts are kind of a PITA at the moment, there is one on ebay for WAY too much $.

The reason I was asking is because it's not uncommon for the connector to need replacing as well as a leaking fuel pressure regulator on those. Just wanted to make sure you weren't replacing it when it wasn't needed.

Probably wouldn't hurt to try some fuel injector cleaner while you are searching.
OK I guess I'm just going to have to do it without having a new spider on hand, but yes I agree with you,I was thinking fpr ,and you say connector?, bc I've never done a spider before, I like the rail awhole bunch better🙄. By the by I get my obd1 reader this week, I know paperclip but I figure it will come in handy. Bc of the njector spider will the obd code reader tell me if my fpr will show a code if it's bad.. I can't wait to get that code reader. I really appreciate you guys and this site. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I found one for 119$ contacted the seller to see if I'll fit, waiting for reply but getting my obd1 code reader this week. It was a bit pricy but i think it'll come in handy. THANK YOU

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

🤣 no doubt but ain't we all getting a little AL in us.ugh . 😄

·
Registered
262 Posts
No nowhere. Man am I stuck, should I get the injectors and put them on the old spider,can I do that? Found them on Amazon for 75$

OK well I went to get a tune up someone mentioned the injector so I asked the guy who did my tune up if he'd diagnose it for me, he did and said yes it was the injector. I went to auto zone after the tune up and seafoamed it. It was good for awhile but is clogged again. Thinking there worn out. It sputters,runs terrible. It's like an injector gone bad.what should I do
sometimes you have to add another can or 2 of seafoam, you have nothing to lose

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,261 Posts
I found one for 119$ contacted the seller to see if I'll fit, waiting for reply
That is a good price, hope it works out that it's what you need.

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sometimes you have to add another can or 2 of seafoam, you have nothing to lose
I have I actually added it everything I added gas 1oz.per gallon. Was that a bad thing. Ouch. OK but it's really driving crappy. It may make it to the station should I try and give it one more shot.

·
Registered
'93 Astro LT Ext w/ FE3 (RWD), 7 Passenger, Dutch Doors, Med Teal, 4.3 V6
235 Posts
People talk about the "GM's super duper fuel injector cleaner," or "Chevron Techron - the concentrate ... same stuff GM sells under their name, but cheaper." (AstroSafari.com quotes)
You may want to check out Will's Astro information website:
YouTube can be your friend too:
[edit: I'm probably Captain Obvious here again!]

·
Registered
1995 chevy astro van
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 95 Strolly, don't always go what people say but what cha know.. I knew it!, my egr Not my injectors. And I didn't get it from here so Thanks guys, a couple people on site kept at me, are you sure it's your injectors? Well at the shop they said it was. And get this,not sure if its the tool or my diagnosis, but bought this reader got nothing but 12, eeh I'm sending it back I think.
Anyways my EGR was and needs replacing is CARBONATED! I let it soak over night,reinstalled it, waalaa but still needs replacing along with a new maf sensor. I'm not happy with not doing this sooner,however I did get a good tuneup done. Lol
Loveyaguys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts