Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Astro AWD LT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my fuel filter. Going through the steps - remove fuel pump relay, run engine until it dies. Except the engine didn't die. I am not sure how long the engine can run with the relay removed, I'm let it run a minute or two, high idle... but it kept going.

Now the fuel pump makes a high pitched hum/whine when the engine is running. It might get annoying but that is for another day. BUT as I was waiting for the engine to die I could still hear the fuel pump.

1. Am I correct that the reason to pull the relay is to turn off the pump?
2. Did I not let it run long enough?
3. If it is supposed to shut off why doe it still run w/o relay? Only thing I can think of is the got bypassed at some point but I don't see anything hinky and I would think a bypass would cause a whole slew of issues. Alternate theories?
4. What happens if I open the system while still pressurized? I am assuming it sprays everywhere including face, creates a fire hazard etc. Can this be reasonably contained with a shop towel?

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,323 Posts
My first thought is that you might have mistakenly pulled the wrong relay.
Is that a possibility?
If the fuel pump stays running, no amount of rags will contain the spilled fuel!
If the pump actually does shut off, then a couple of rags should be adequate.
I had to do a fuel pump on my Ford Ranger 4X4 ( it is a much longer job than on the Astro). Since the Ford was not running at all, I could not run mine until it shut off. I just cracked the fitting slightly and waited for it to stop leaking, which was just a few seconds.
PLEASE, do this outside, and away from anything that could cause a spark!

How long have you owned this van, and what do you know of it's prior ownership history?

Other than that; Yes, I suppose somebody may have done some sort of a bypass, but that would be quite unlikely, and the modification should be visible under close examination of the wiring harness in the area.

It is difficult to get at, but possibly you could disconnect the plug neat the fuel pump.
Rod J
Issaquah, Wa

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,033 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm guessing that you pulled the wrong relay. The pump relay and the A/C relay are right next to each other and exactly the same.

Other than that you could unplug the connector under the van close to the fuel filter.

·
Registered
98 Astro AWD LT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all.
Rod, I triple checked and am 99% sure I pulled the right one but I will look again with fresh eyes. I have had it for about a month and am getting to know it now. going through doing the brakes, fluids and filters.

AstroWill - I will check that out and thank you for the reminder. I have been meaning to fill out my profile.

Bikely, Yup, worth checking. I will look for the plug if it comes to that.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,033 Posts
You probably have the correct relay, like I said you can have two paths to power the fuel pump, which now that I see you have a 98, definitely applies to your year.

So you would also have to pull the oil pressure sensor connector, or just disconnect the fuel pump connector under the van.

AstroWill - I will check that out and thank you for the reminder. I have been meaning to fill out my profile.
Thank you, it definitely helps us!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts