Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Astro RWD
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i have a pretty big service day(1st time for all of this) coming up...prolly gonna take a couple of days actually to complete everything listed..leh me remind you im a 26 year old with no previous mechanical experience and everything i know about automotive I've learned through my own self study, research, and staring at my van stupidly lmao....man i love this van.....my baby gurl i tell you

Oil change- Starting with liqui molly flush, Oil Drain, Acdelco Filter Install, Penzoil Platinum High Mileage with 1 quart lucas oil stabilizer(High Mileage)....im currently running blue magic oil stop which seem to be effective so far and provide better oil pressure

Differential Oil change - New GM original Diff Cover (sprayed with krylon undercarriage spray -Black), New Fel-pro Gasket & 2 bottles Acdelco gear oil (i was getting alot of insight from cowboydans :Tuning a '96 4.3 V6 injection engine, help & pointers please) post.... he implied adding oil stabilizer to the tranny and diff oil as well, in which i did further research and it concluded wasn't really a good idea because it doesn't contain the properties like normal gear oil to foam up in the diff cover and provide thorough lubrication on all metal-to-metal

New Acdelco Air Filter install, looking into and wrapping my brain around the ram air Mod for cabin box seems legit....i just worry about infiltration from enviromental factors, i noticed the only real after market intake for our vans is the volant cold air intake looking like solid $200 drop, others were succesful with making there own....my heart tells me to keep my beloved baby all OEM High Quality, And try to keep the mods *** natural as possible without all the heavy aftermaket action

i just got insight yesterday on cleaning the MAF sensor and the throttle body opening and plate...with good performance increase from that

i bought coolant flush, but i am nowhere pressed to interfere with my cooling system which is operating without issue on the original water pump, im pretty sure it needs a good flush tho...the radiator cap inside has some buildup as well as some deposits in the overflow reservoir, thus far ive only topped off reservouir with OEM Dex-Cool

ig once i get to that phase i can just simply service the cooling system with a new thermostat and housing

new K&N inline fuel filter installed last month, running this cheap ebay fuel pump because i was pressed for money and could not afford a delphi or GM Original fuel pump assembly, surprisingly besides the float arm being installed backwards and my gas gauge reading backwards it operates and performs with no complaints, i know i need todo the right thing eventually and give my van the right one it deserves tho

ive become best buds with lucas fuel treatment especially with gas here in hawaii @ $5.19....i see noticeable change after every fill.... last 2 fill ups missed out cause lucas is all sold out ig the public caught on im just gonna purchase a refill bottle and keep in the van

my power steering pump was leaking from what looks like one of the o-rings which i identified after UV dye tracing, i just through blue magic PS stop leak which seemed effective....getting that pump replace is gonna be a whole nuther mother....i plan on replacing the serpentine and belt tensioner during that process since fan removal is imminent....can somebody spit some insight on those new electric fans that or so much better and provides alot more engine room....i knoo nothing about electrical sooo ig i gotta hop on that and get to learning

if somebody can provide me with a comprehensive list of everthing todo to get my baby tuned to perfection...ig all the basics with our van before i advance to more in depth upgrades & servicing

im @ 90,000 Miles , trying to wait until 100,000 miles todo cap, rotor, wires, and pcv.....but i have the urge todo as well

after all this is done gonna jump on rear shocks first and then the fronts, replacement with GM original shocks for better ride quality....was eyeballing KYB ....but im staring at my current acdelco oem shocks that or still alive and well....just stay the course right
Bottle Input device Material property Bottle cap Audio equipment

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
148 Posts
Because I was getting a lot of bouncy misbehavior over bridges while towing I swapped KYB Gas-A-Just in for the rears. No doubt originals were worn but they weren't leaking and still seemed to provide considerable damping. Therefore I'm convinced these are significantly better (reduce bounciness and flopping without negatively impacting the ride quality). I cant comment on other replacements but I'd absolutely recommend these, particularly since they were $70/pair. Not just towing—they're great for every day.

I like your diff cover treatment and will copy that.

I'd avoid any intake rerouting that doesn't pull air from outside the engine bay. Cooler, denser air does increase performance.

I have a little crud in the coolant. You and I both need to check for intake manifold gasket leaks. Earlier gaskets in combination with earlier DexCool were bad news. Unlike some, I'm in favor of DexCool but I dont know when the gasket specs were improved.

Reactions: NTnemo

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Astro RWD
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Because I was getting a lot of bouncy misbehavior over bridges while towing I swapped KYB Gas-A-Just in for the rears. No doubt originals were worn but they weren't leaking and still seemed to provide considerable damping. Therefore I'm convinced these are significantly better (reduce bounciness and flopping without negatively impacting the ride quality). I cant comment on other replacements but I'd absolutely recommend these, particularly since they were $70/pair. Not just towing—they're great for every day.

I like your diff cover treatment and will copy that.

I'd avoid any intake rerouting that doesn't pull air from outside the engine bay. Cooler, denser air does increase performance.

I have a little crud in the coolant. You and I both need to check for intake manifold gasket leaks. Earlier gaskets in combination with earlier DexCool were bad news. Unlike some, I'm in favor of DexCool but I dont know when the gasket specs were improved.
Same here drivedog.....exact reason why i want to replace them....the ride is just tooo bouncy....i feel every bit of the roadway......

Was gonna keep the shocks acdelco(OEM).....but really need to pay the one time for something that gives excellent ride quality (cushioned/controlled handling),
Will definately look into the KYB'z

I was looking into cold air option....but i feel like just rolling with the OEM air box....with one good filter(change every oil change)

Gonna dabble with electric cooling fan....once i learn Electrical more....

And i never ever considered the Intake manifold
Gasket for leak......thank for that insight.....gonna reference with FSM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts