Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only times I have had the AWD light stay on, starting sometimes.....then always. was the motor assy.
that shifts van into AWD. like this one. three bolts, one power plug. Transfer Case Shift Motor for Chevy Astro Blazer GMC Jimmy 1998-2005 AWD/4WD | eBay
I hope for you that it is not ABS related. The ABS module is mounted to vehicle frame under drivers seat area. Large plug with bunch of wires! and 5 brake lines. on Salted/rusted vehicles these brake lines come out WITH the Aluminum threads as well. destroying the ABS unit! Gotta be very patient with those. where
they said a brake line crumbled in their hands? & Van being from the Northeast. I would bet all the lines are suspect. ARGH! if you are gonna buy them, they sell Pre-bent brake line sets. Advisable! as I found THW.
My current Safari I got all new stainless brake lines, My ABS was OK. if you do a Complete line change
and Front calipers, rear cylinders. upon trying to bleed the brakes you will find that you may have a problem
getting the nice firm pedal expected? you will need a OBD2 scanner to allow you to Fully bleed the brakes.
Especially if you fully drain the ABS system of brake fluid.
I hope any of this helps!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The only times I have had the AWD light stay on, starting sometimes.....then always. was the motor assy.
that shifts van into AWD. like this one. three bolts, one power plug. Transfer Case Shift Motor for Chevy Astro Blazer GMC Jimmy 1998-2005 AWD/4WD | eBay
I hope for you that it is not ABS related. The ABS module is mounted to vehicle frame under drivers seat area. Large plug with bunch of wires! and 5 brake lines. on Salted/rusted vehicles these brake lines come out WITH the Aluminum threads as well. destroying the ABS unit! Gotta be very patient with those. where
they said a brake line crumbled in their hands? & Van being from the Northeast. I would bet all the lines are suspect. ARGH! if you are gonna buy them, they sell Pre-bent brake line sets. Advisable! as I found THW.
My current Safari I got all new stainless brake lines, My ABS was OK. if you do a Complete line change
and Front calipers, rear cylinders. upon trying to bleed the brakes you will find that you may have a problem
getting the nice firm pedal expected? you will need a OBD2 scanner to allow you to Fully bleed the brakes.
Especially if you fully drain the ABS system of brake fluid.
I hope any of this helps!
Thanks Joez - the brake line broke when they were inspecting the abs module, re-sodering the inside to go after the C0256 code. once that was complete and they redid the broken lines, no more abs light and no more C0256 code. but, binding/shudder issue still remains

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Joez - the brake line broke when they were inspecting the abs module, re-sodering the inside to go after the C0256 code. once that was complete and they redid the broken lines, no more abs light and no more C0256 code. but, binding/shudder issue still remains
Hopefully, your ABS issues are in the rearview! I have never had to replace front wheel bearings or
Transaxles, Like this: Axle Assembly For 1997-2002 GMC Safari AWD 2000 1998 1999 2001 N379DW | eBay in any of my many Astro/Safari AWD vans. the 2WD models have blown out front wheel bearings 100k ish. I do not know what the symptoms of a Bad front axle assembly would be? maybe you want to check that the front end differential case is not full of something other than oil? like your transfer case was? makes me wonder if it was a Hurricane survivor! maybe took a knee high swim? just so you know? Our company ran a Fleet of them for many years doing Field service work. 50-60k every year each, 5+ Astro's. for at least a dozen years, In relatively short order, we started getting Only AWD Astro's for service vehicles. Mostly bought with 20-40k miles, from Enterprise leasing. ran them all over 200k. So your vehicle choice is a solid one! :):cool:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts