Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
As I have said before, measure the front of your van and go to junkyards with a tape measure and measure different truck front ends to see what may fit. But remember since they do not make one specific to your van you may have to do some fabrication. Mark

·
Registered
2002 GMC SAFARI AWD
58 Posts
From what I've seen, get a silverado grill guard from the same year and make brackets that it will bolt to. Also you'll probably want to go with one that's more squared off, not the ones that are all angled and "flare up" with the headlights, that is if you are looking at one with headlight kick outs. The biggest part is making the brackets though, I looked at an astro for sale that had the grill guard on it and it looked great but underneath it was just a mess of welded plate, square tube and bed frame to make it bolt up to the frame. If you already have a winch mount then it would probably be easy to make fit since there would already be something nice and solid to mount to under there.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
From what I've seen, get a silverado grill guard from the same year and make brackets that it will bolt to. Also you'll probably want to go with one that's more squared off, not the ones that are all angled and "flare up" with the headlights, that is if you are looking at one with headlight kick outs. The biggest part is making the brackets though, I looked at an astro for sale that had the grill guard on it and it looked great but underneath it was just a mess of welded plate, square tube and bed frame to make it bolt up to the frame. If you already have a winch mount then it would probably be easy to make fit since there would already be something nice and solid to mount to under there.
Speaking of winches... How practical are they on these "cobbled" frame elements? I have visions of being stuck and the winch pulling the van in half, or worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts