Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Astro Safari world.

ive had my 02 safari rwd for 2 yrs now. Been improving, repairing and updating since then. I usually do all wrenching myself, but work has been crazy for a while and have sent van to mechanic for a few things. This one he can’t figure out and I don’t have time to get in there and poke around right now.

Starts perfectly when cold in the morning (florida, so not actually cold). Starts perfectly when you run into the store for 15-20 min. Anything else it will want to crank for a while and then starts and runs fine. This includes starting the van after work, sitting for 8hrs or so.
This issue has gotten more extreme over the past 9 mos. used to only do this when temp gauge was in the middle of range.

I have done these engine repairs since I’ve gotten the van:
plugs, wires , cap, rotor, PCV, pcv plug thing for vac, crankcase breather and hose, all vac lines, IAC, TPS, cleaned throttle body, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, spider injecter assembly.
Many other upgrades, but these are the engine and related ones.

Van runs great, idles perfectly, 21 MPG highway, feels powerful. Quiet.
just this annoying hard start now.

mechanic who is chasing this issue now has put 2 fuel pumps in. Also the new spider and plenum gasket. He is now telling me it holds pressure with the latest pump, but I don’t really believe it. As the problem still persists. Maybe it’s not pressure related.

perhaps related: ground or voltage loss suspected.
when I have time I want to upgrade my main.wiring cables. Could this be associated?
I have intermittent door lock power (some locks not fully engaging) and losing indicators of turn signal at dash.

anyhow, I would love some advice from you folks.

my next moves perhaps checking out temp sensors? Ignition coil?

thanks

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,717 Posts
I love the sound and smell of a parts cannon in the morning ;)

Hard start can be SOOOOOOOO many things.

What I would do next is check your CTS from ambient through NOT with a scan tool(el cheapo bluetooth adapter with the proper software works fine). Fireworks test, and I would pull the ICM and have it tested at your LAPS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks will.

I run torque through a bluetooth thing. What is the “CTS” ?

I have the console off now and had the hard start after going into the store today and got a whiff of gas when it was turning over. I will be able to pay some attention to the van next week. I will do some tests to try and isolate the problem.
perhaps a bad FPR on the rebuilt spider unit?
no more throwing parts at the problem. I hate taking the van to someone else, but sometimes there is no choice.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,091 Posts
Coolant Temperature Sensor. It can lie to the PCM and screw up warm starts.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,091 Posts
There is only one CTS on an ‘02, but yes. My dash gauge read correctly while a scantool said the temp was 25-40° low. The dash gauge is not precise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is only one CTS on an ‘02, but yes. My dash gauge read correctly while a scantool said the temp was 25-40° low. The dash gauge is not precise.
thanks for the advice.

got some time to sniff around the van and do some tests.
fuel pressure:
comes up instantly to 60-62 with key in ON position
idles at 52
drops to 50 when key is OFF
remains there for 5-10 min before slowly dropping
after 1hr - overnight drops to 30-40

is this pretty average?

checked out the coolant temp sensor:
seemed to read accurate through warm up and thermostat opening .
noticed the wire at the connector was worn and bare, wire was stiff and crispy.
Spliced up a new connector - wire appeared a bit melted into the strands.
voltage check on new pigtail = 4.97v
installed a new coolant sensor - because I was in there and had it in my hand
temp measured accurate with a scan tool.

*still have the hard start when not stone cold in the morning.
—- this is a stumble to start for 15 sec or so
once it catches will run smooth and idle just fine at 600rpm
if you turn it off and start it again, it will fire right up.

the only evidence of something amiss while running is intermitan less than optimal MPG.

Any advice or where to check next would be a great help

thank you all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts