Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I have been reading through this forum about headers and exhausts. I ran across a couple of posts that said that 2002 AWD 'stros do not have enough room for headers. Is that true? :( I am sure that custom headers can be made for $1,500, but I am trying to stay in the stock price range - $3-400 or so.
2. I also read a couple of posts where the poster modified headers from an s-10 to fit. What kind of modification did it need? Does anyone out there have any experience with this?
3. How much torque can be added by replacing everything after the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,713 Posts
Headers are typically a great single and simple performance improvement. Are we talking for V6, or V8?

1) Certainly custom headers can be fabricated.. money and time.
2) Modified headers might be a good solution
3) Torque gains from a stock 4.3 will be negligible and likely not worth the expense. Improvements behind a V8 will be more noticeable. You can probably find plenty of dyno charts showing HP/Torque curves. But I'm certain you'd also see fuel mileage improvements as well.

With my lift, I plan to raise the engine (at least a couple inches) in my 2000 AWD to address both the oil pan issue, and hopefully clear room for V8 headers.

PS: If you're going to have a topic about "headers".. you might include it in your title somewhere

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Headers are typically a great single and simple performance improvement. Are we talking for V6, or V8?

1) Certainly custom headers can be fabricated.. money and time.
2) Modified headers might be a good solution
3) Torque gains from a stock 4.3 will be negligible and likely not worth the expense. Improvements behind a V8 will be more noticeable. You can probably find plenty of dyno charts showing HP/Torque curves. But I'm certain you'd also see fuel mileage improvements as well.

With my lift, I plan to raise the engine (at least a couple inches) in my 2000 AWD to address both the oil pan issue, and hopefully clear room for V8 headers.

PS: If you're going to have a topic about "headers".. you might include it in your title somewhere
What else would I need to change in the engine to make the exhaust upgrade more fruitful?

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,713 Posts
When you say lift the engine, don't you also have to lift the transmission? How does that affect the drive line angles?
Yes... lifting the engine will definitely affect drive angles. Trans will need to be lifted (a little bit less) and rear will need to be re-angled too. Since I've already lifted the 233 transfer case and angled the pinion to compensate, this will already be already familiar to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts