Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i bought the kempler headlights kit (precision LED) (8 months ago) (low beam) for my gmc safari 2005.
It works well but i noticed that the pattern is weird for the left headlight. i wasn't able to align my headlights properly. My question is do you think that the housing maybe damaged inside or that if it is not exactly at the right angle, it can produce such a mess ? What do you think about putting HID or LED bulbs inside originals housings and what is projectors ? i heard that there was two types of headlight housing.

Honestly, i am thinking of selling them and buy upgraded halogen bulbs.

thanks a lot

·
Registered
01 Astro Cargo RWD, 97 Astro Mark III AWD
1,770 Posts
Got caught up in the " These lights are so bright. They must be better" scam.
The truth is hid and led headlights are marketing scams. They do not provide better lighting for night driving. More often the lighting is worse than properly aimed stock headlights.

By design hid and led lights require special housing to focus the light output. With the exception of very high end (read $$$$) luxury and performance vehicles these housing are nearly nonexsistant. Hid and led lights will not work in stock housings because of the special reflector needed to focus the light. Ever notice all the little slots and grooves in a headlight lens?

If you have ever passed a semi on the road and had it suddenly start drifting into your lane. It is because those bright headlights in the mirrors are blinding the driver. The bright light draws the eyes to the side and the head naturally follows. Which cause the truck to drift to the side. I have to turn my mirrors out at night just to avoid this. I also have additional mirrors to help minimize the increased blind spot this creates.

Hid lights without a proper housing are nothing more than pretty colored lights and most of those colors do nothing to improve visibility at night. Led lights by their very nature are extremely bright and only point the light straight outward. It is not possible to focus the light output from leds..This can easily be seen in how leds project a bright center while the sides drop off drastically. Leds do have a use as marker or tail/brake lights and even interior lighting.

Practical experience seeing leds on the roads show they only have a useful range of approximately 50' which means that by the time you see something, You have already run over it!

If your serious about safety and better headlights for night time driving. Quality (Hella, Sylvania Silverstar etc...) bulbs in properly aimed stock housings will be superior to any marketing hype.

With DRL the headlights do age and get dimmer over time. Replace the bulbs and make sure they are properly aimed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW. i love your text. Tomorrow, i will buy silverstar and i already have an appointment thursday at my local gm dealer to adjust my headlights !

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,209 Posts
x2 what MI_ghost said above. Really the best option if you want to go the LED route is using the rectangular 'cargo' lenses/housings designed with/for LED lights.
Cleaning your existing housings where possible and using performance incandescent bulbs is the cheapest/best upgrade.

I had HID bulbs in my stock composite housings and they were not impressive, would not do it again.

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive got a '99 Astro with the composite light housings, and upgraded to LED bulbs about a year ago. I noticed newer cars would pull up behind me, and I could see their light beams going under and around the sides of my van, drowning out my 20+ year old light pattern, they were not blinding...they just had modern technology with much more efficient and effective lighting. I did alot of research to avoid the above mentioned negative traits of LED bulbs. I live on a winding dark forested road, and could barely see the next turn with the stock bulbs, this is one of the best upgrades Ive done on my van. I love the pure white illumination (not blue tinted), and being concerned about oncoming traffic I avoided anything with extreme brightness (on the low beams). The low beam bulbs I chose are not brighter than stock, they have a good stock pattern on the road, the white color itself seems to make everything much more visible. An easy test to tell if the light pattern is aimed too high, (or an incorrect bulb pattern that affects oncoming drivers) is to look at the reflective street signs as you drive down the street...you do not want them to be illuminated for blocks down the road. On the high beams, I went for brightness...since high beams are never used in traffic situations, especially with on coming traffic. I went with DDM tuning SaberProX 55W bulbs, and they are so bright it makes you grin. I feel much safer being able to see everything at night (go figure). There is alot of info and comparisons on the internet, with a little research you can find what you need, and avoid the stuff you don't want. Best of luck~

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
On the high beams, I went for brightness...since high beams are never used in traffic situations, especially with on coming traffic.
That was true at one time.
Now they just refuse to drop the high beams because they can't see when running 100+ mph

·
Registered
872 Posts
RE All LED's BAD.. I beg to differ,
The "All LED's are bad" in original housing is actually not true. There are a couple brands that actually mimic a halogen filament and put out an almost exact same pattern as a halogen bulb but much brighter and good sharp cut offs. These are in composite housings.

The primary drawback is price!

I went with a GTR Ultra 2's and am extremely happy with them. I have driven behind and towards my van while my wife was driving it, and I was in her BMW 3 series and they were not blinding.

They are properly aimed, and there was a little bit of modification required to the "pocket" behind the housings as the openings there are a little smaller than the heat sink that sticks out of the back of the housing. Good metal nibbler will take quick work of the sheet metal back there.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This company does reviews (as well as sells) headlights and they take no "freebees" from the vendors to get product. They purchase all the bulbs that they test so there is no bias to give better reviews.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The other Caveat on replacement bulbs, you have to have quality housings. If you have ever replaced your headlights due to yellowing or damage from impact, Quality of the housing is very important.

I had some that were actually listed as GM made (the back had the correct PN's and stamping) but the lens had different writing on them One said GM, one said "Guide" an OEM that makes some of the original equipment. The GUIDE housing/lens actually put out a more even pattern and sharper cut off than the GM one. Tiger eyes are junk and eagle eyes are junk. Even with a HIR Hella bulb they threw a horrible pattern. TYC (the company many body shops uses as "official replacements" were only marginally better. and way worse than the GM or Guide. Also age can ruin the reflector so be careful if you go to the junk yard and find some real clean lenses. I pulled a set apart that I was not happy with and had already replaced with better lenses and when I separated the lens from the housing, you really see the oxidation on the reflector. It was a fairly new unit IIRC but I think it had been left out with no bulb or cover for the opening so it was exposed to moisture.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
This company does reviews (as well as sells) headlights and they take no "freebees" from the vendors to get product. They purchase all the bulbs that they test so there is no bias to give better reviews.
For $200 they better do more than just shine light.
It is curious that after 10 years and 3000+ reviews they are still such an unknown. First that I have heard of them.
It will be interesting to read what they have to say.

In the mean time. How about some pics to back up the claim?
I would be interested in what good LEDs are supposed to look like.

From the HR site

It's practically a CRIME that some companies make headlights that cost HUNDREDS of dollars, and claim to be better or brighter than your stock equipment - and then turns out to be a downgrade after all... Wasted hard-earned money, wasted time, and tons of frustration! That's what we want you to avoid and the whole reason we're here.
Please do your research before spending your hard-earned money on so-called lighting "replacements"

So they even recognize how the market is flooded with cheap LED garbage!
I wish they would provide more information on their testing and reviews though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The worst thing about LEDs are that they ice up in the winter. The bulbs don't get hot enough to burn off any moisture so they get covered in ice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not seeing the reason to spend gobs of money and have added issues for what appears to result in little to no improvement in actually lighting the road. IMO LEDS are great for providing light at a great reduction in power. I've got them everywhere in my home and vehicles. At home where conservation is financially helpful....and in my van and Jeep where reduced power consumption helps my house batteries. Headlights, not so much. They are only on when my vehicle is running and the alternator is charging. I'll stick to "old" school for them..

·
Registered
872 Posts
For $200 they better do more than just shine light.
It is curious that after 10 years and 3000+ reviews they are still such an unknown. First that I have heard of them.
It will be interesting to read what they have to say.

In the mean time. How about some pics to back up the claim?
I would be interested in what good LEDs are supposed to look like.

From the HR site

It's practically a CRIME that some companies make headlights that cost HUNDREDS of dollars, and claim to be better or brighter than your stock equipment - and then turns out to be a downgrade after all... Wasted hard-earned money, wasted time, and tons of frustration! That's what we want you to avoid and the whole reason we're here.
Please do your research before spending your hard-earned money on so-called lighting "replacements"

So they even recognize how the market is flooded with cheap LED garbage!
I wish they would provide more information on their testing and reviews though.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Testing in a closed room against a white wall.
Yes it shows that it puts out more light but it does nothing to show the range of the light, pattern focus or fall off. It also does show how the LEDs project the bright center and quick fall off to the side. Vertical cut off was a bit hazy also.

Still have not seen any practical real world demonstration showing how far the LED light will work.
Still have not seen anything to show the focus to keep the light from being blinding to oncoming traffic.

From ultra simple to modern technology.
A simple test using survey stakes in a row to show the range of the light.
Drone images to show the pattern and fall off.
Dashcam or even phone video showing how the light affects oncoming traffic.

Why are they not showing anything more than LEDs put out more light?
More light output does not equal more useable light on the road.

Show me the same proof that the Sylvania Silverstar lights did to show they were better.
I can shine an LED flashlight and show it is better at short range.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I swapped out my silverstars for the morimoto's. Would not go back. Even if they last a year, good headlights are indispensable and a pair of silver stars is $100 and they suck versus $200 for awesome. Around here we have wildlife bursting out of the woods, people walking & jogging in the morning / evening without reflective clothing, inclement weather and so on. The light is evenly dispersed, low beam as a good cut off, have not been flashed by anyone so far for blinding with low beams. Wouldn't mind a bit more distance with the high beam but it's still a huge improvement over the silver stars. Will probably add some fog lights before winter and also need to add a good back up flood light. Just my .02$, personal opinion/experience blah blah blah.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts