Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
..Sorry I'm late to the party..another PNWer..but I'm closer, in Lynnwood..Appears we have similar tastes in Astros..My "camperfied " red 90 is AWD Extended and I have a 2004 RWD in blue as the daily driver.Many moons ago,I had an '86 white cargo van as my first.. WELCOME!

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
The paint jobs..are not so great.The red one sat in the yard for 15 years.1990s seem to have had really bad paint for the ones I've seen .especially on the roofs and hood. I had to repaint the back doors,trim strips above the windows and the front hood a couple times,but the hood needs to be redone because of Mother Nature" peeing" on my clear coat as I was trying to finish it this spring(She was mean...You remember all the rain?)The roof is repainted to a rustoleum's satin silver(no longer available) with clear coat to match the graphics and wheels.The blue one is original paint but you can see the old "CARPOOL" faintly thorugh that on the back doors.. was DOT. I can't seem to lightly buff it off.
The red has 141K and the blue about 180K.

No interior pics now..Once I get it finished this spring,I'll sit down and do a build thread..The bench seats move around for bed mode,all cabinets can come up.out..thetford toilet cabinet,12 volt system cabinet,Kitchen area cabinet w. drawers,solar..etc..etc..I"M NOT DONE! I think a couple quick pics are in other spots about '90 astros or safaris?..maybe a couple in..What did I do with my van today?..somewhere.

FOR Doug..If you need some '91 RED ASTRO parts for a shortie(AWD)..there are some left on one at P-N-P (Lynnwood)_.I spent a couple hundred $+ on parts I've pulled off it.It appears someone maintained it using the better quality sensors and parts(GM,AC Delco)and other parts to keep it maintained.I don't know why it was donated??? I think it had 250K?*odometer? there) but it might have had a newer engine or trans(we'll never know).I made 3 trips down there since its less than a mile from my house. The front AWD is gone but the AWD half shafts/hubs are there..I grabbed a whole lot of sensors,the abs wiring harness(to the four SS connectors),a RR speed sensor(needed..GD! light on),GM distributor,-cap-rotor-AC delco SP wires, and unmarked? alternator(both looked new).Someone left the doghouse bolted on(SWEET FOR ME,,first picks under there!)..radiator and that is gone..fan portion is there,tbi/injector parts look intact)I grabbed the new air cleaner filter(kept forgetting to buy one).water pump looks old(no thanks..)..4.3engine Z I believe..like mine ..and transmission-transfer case is there.Appears to have had a recent brake job and FULL electrical tuneup..good drums/shoes,discs,etc..I grabbed the new short front rubber hoses to the AWD hubs(not even dusty).. Interior is red not gray but kind of shot.I grabbed the slide-on-seam weather stripping for the barndoor back and side doors(glued on strips still there..had some similar corner flaws as mine...door handles look good(driver's rear?,,side door is gone but they left the bottom roller for me already out..(Gee Thanks!).Good black(PPG?) edged windshield intact(Damn I need that!),back door glass?Think one was busted).I think the interior plastic pieces are black not gray also..Some parts sitting in the van already taken out..Doghouse carpet is "off the dog".. roll-up windows not electric.carpet and headliner is bad(backing might be okay..sagging cover..RED..like naugahide) I can't remember the seats other than red..The gas tank is dented(looks like it was forklifted).. I think the gas door cable was intact as was the door,inlet tube..Cap?). Interior plastic floor trim pieces..say for the side door and back door are black as are the inner door plastic I think..(remember crank windows..I don't think the panels jhave been removed..speakers are crap.it had after market radio and speakers,,front speakers looked old and bad..black colored grills.Hmm..shocks looked okay..motor mounts weren't..
Bear in mind it is "PNW..no rust!". .as far as I could tell.It's sitting on a DRY clean, gravel area..on welded stands,easy to crawl all around under it.Outside the sides I used one of the front mats(so-so).Mud flaps no good..and not Astro anyway)
I haven't been there for a week or so..so that list might have changed(I never saw anyone else looking..the only Astro listed there on the website!.. I'm trying not to go back down there..keeps costing me money for my parts pile.I do need a set of ASTRO horse-type blinders!..LOL!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts