Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently inherited a 2000 RWD LS Astro (in May 2021) from my grandfather who doesn't drive much nowadays. I am a college student that was shopping for used cars, and when I was offered the not-so-drivable van, it seemed like a pretty good deal. It only had 140k miles and I know that it was taken care of. The biggest problem was that it only had P, R, N, 1, and 2. I tried every "cheap trick" that I knew of, including testing the shift solenoids and replacing trans fluid and filter. I even used a quart of Lucas transmission fix. Lucas additives work wonders, but they do not rebuild transmissions. LOL
My grandfather told me that when the gears started slipping, he was quoted $4,000 for a factory remanufactured 4L60E trans including labor so he parked the astro in a field and dropped its insurance. Now, after a $600 rebuild with a new 3-4 clutch pack it shifts perfectly. So far, I have changed my battery, oil, oil filter, tires, distributor cap + rotor, front blower fan, spark plugs (acdelco iridium), DIY toggle switch for rear blower since the original melted on me (probably corroded rear motor contacts that are causing super high amp draw), and fuel filter. I just recently learned about the 12 oz Chevron Techron treatment (just purchased a bottle and I plan to use it the next time I reach 1/4 tank). Currently getting 11.8 mpg in city and about 14 mpg highway. The Techron route would be awesome, but I understand that new injectors are probably needed. Oil pressure is pretty stable at 40-45 on the gauge, and the temperature is usually around 195-200. I would like to flush my coolant soon using the garden hose method then filling coolant lines completely with distilled water with the temp sensor disconnected for a week as per Scotty Kilmer's suggestion. I just do not know which type of coolant I want after the flush. It currently has the green stuff, but I've researched that the new DEXcool is the best thing for older GM engines. All in all, I finally feel that it's appropriate to join this forum after this 4-month reparation journey of checking this site for tips and advice. I warmly welcome any advice about my fuel injector and/or coolant projects!
P.S. please excuse the chipped paint, I was told that the guts from "love bugs" (aka swamp flies) outside ate away the paint but it's only cosmetic :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Dexcool is horrible stuff avoid it. This how I flush all my coolant systems. drain system , take 1 cup of cascade dish washing powder mix it in a gallon of hot water add it to radiator cap with the system closed, fill with hose start engine let it run with heat on to include rear heat if you have it for about 40 minutes. shut it ff allow to cool a bit then when possible drain it again and run the hose through it with it running to flush gunk knocked lose from the cascade mix. then when its clear allow it to drain.
fill with green antifreeze and distilled water. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I will be loosing the Dexcool this week. I'm going green. It is my understanding that when you do that you have a chance of loosing the water pump seal. I plan on avoiding this by replacing the water pump at the same time. You DO NOT want to overheat a 4.3 Ltr v 6. Just my 2 cents. I would not flush a system that has had good quality fluid in it. Other than to remove the old coolant. I would not want to loosen anything that could clog up my heater core or anything else. Many guys here do it and that's ok. For them. Best wishes on your new van. And welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
863 Posts
There is nothing better than getting a vehicle of which you know a lot of history ( good or bad).
At least you have some idea what you might have to deal with in the near future.
It looks to be a reasonable straight ride. Congratulations and keep the questions coming.

Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah, DEXcool turns to SAND over time. I got rid of mine. 2x Flush and ran with water for a week to clean it out. IT WAS NOT my daily driver, so no worries. then reverse flushed all heater coils, etc. I've heard that it is a BIG NO NO to mix DEXcool with Green stuff. That being said there are lawsuits against GM for that DEXcool crap.

Welcome to the Club! I love my Safari, despite my hiccups in mechanical issues that are now resolved.

·
Registered
351 Posts
P.S. ............. the guts from "love bugs" (aka swamp flies) outside ate away the paint but it's only cosmetic :D
HAHA in days of old i spent time in Lafayette - i had forgotten about love bugs :
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

if/when you change your fuel injection spider be sure to update to the improved version with real individual injectors :
Rectangle Font Ticket Screenshot Label

Wood Auto part Bag Tool Metal

Musical instrument Wood Jewellery Wrist Auto part

Font Parallel Handwriting Paper Book

change your lower intake manifold gasket at the same time because it will eventually leak coolant :
just for reference, this is a '99 intake :
Gas Font Auto part Art Metal

gasket kit & new bolts :
Rectangle Font Material property Gas Box

Product Rectangle Font Circle Pattern

🦐

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,424 Posts
Welcome to the site!

The original dexcool had issues, it was reformulated. Any vehicle running the original dexcool should have had the coolant changed a long time ago anyway ;)

Coolant colors are just whatever the MFG decides to use, check out the images half way down this page Astro-Safari-Info - Engine Cooling

·
Registered
72 Posts
The original dexcool had issues, it was reformulated. Any vehicle running the original dexcool should have had the coolant changed a long time ago anyway ;)
I had not seen that. Mine apparently never got the upgraded dexcool. sand everywhere. I decided to change it out when I changed the Water Pump/Radiator and the Spider injector. That old stuff was horrible...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts