Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Ralph. I have 1995 Astro van cs 2wd. its my daily driver and i plan on keeping it until it dies. i am pretty handy around autos. I was glad to find a forum for astro safari vans. in any way i can help i am here and willing to learn more. right now i had my astro for 4 years and counting. its has about 168,000 on the clock and running strong without any major prolbems. it sits on djm front 2" drop spindles and rear 3" flip kit. Riding on 15"stock wheels during winter and 20" american racing iroc reps with nitto tires 245/35 for the summer. for sounds i have pioneer flip out head unit, kicker component speakers , 2 12" kicker l5's and 2 kicker kx series amps. the rest of the astro is stock for now. looking to go v8 in the near future. :chevy:

· Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi misterfx8
Welcome aboard. That's a nice looking van you have their. :)

· Registered
412 Posts
Bis said:
Keeping the chrome wheels during the winter: is that an absolute no-no? Even if you clean them every 2 weeks or so?
Did a little bit of research about Chrome tires during winter so I am answering my own question here... it appears that it is a huge NO-NO due to the pitting that can occur from the salt coming in contact with a Chrome finish (specially if it stays on the wheel for a while).
At best the wheels can become "cloudy", and this happens in a matter of hours I understand. Somebody correct me if I am wrong and sorry I do not list any sources, I just did a lot of googling about this a few days ago.

Waxing the tires helps but is still not a salt-proof barrier that you can count on. A few products that are "wax-like" are available meant specifically to protect chrome but its still a throw of the dice when put against the salt that can be found on the roads during the winter...

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread. Just never heard back from the author...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.