Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and not sure if I'm posting in the right place or exactly how to do this. . My headliner and floor carpet are soaked! How do I remove both to get everything dry and find my leak spots? Thank you in advance for any info you can provide. It's raining hard now and is supposed to continue for another day or so!

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,276 Posts
Your most likely spot for the leak will be the screws for the luggage rack. You will need to remove all the plastic interior panels as well as the seats and stepwell trim to remove the headliner and carpet. Most panels will snap in but there are places where they are held by screws.

Tools Needed:
#1 & #2 Phillips screw driver
6-in-1 Torx Driver Great Neck #99831 will handle nearly all the small screws
T50 torx bit to pull the seat belt screws
+1, or +2 Pozi drive for the stepwell trim and rear door trim screws
18mm socket for the nuts holding the seats.

·
Registered
'93 Astro LT Ext w/ FE3 (RWD), 7 Passenger, Dutch Doors, Med Teal, 4.3 V6
140 Posts
FWIW, my windshield leaked at the top corner on the passenger side. I kept noticing that the carpet between the front seats was wet and staining. Because of the stain I thought it was coming through the floor, then one day I noticed that the passenger side floor mat was wet. I thought it was coming from AC condensation (clogged drain), but upon under dash inspection I noticed it was coming from the side near the kick panels. I looked up and the headliner was soaked at that corner of the windshield. I'll put sealant on it as a temporary fix (per other AstroSafari.com posts). I may get the windshield re-set. I also just had the infamous dutch door weatherstripping leak, so the carpet is currently out and drying. ('93 LT)
Edit: I taped the corner of the windshield with Gorilla Tape. After the next heavy rain the corner of the headliner got wet again, so my leak may also be coming from the roof rack (as MI_Ghost said) and running on the top of the headliner to that corner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts