Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I’m Shelby. I just bought a 2000 AWD Astro with 111,000 miles on it but MAN it’s going to be a piece of work. I am in the process of gutting it (already got a new fuel pump and muffler done). I have a big problem though. I have a really old, non-operational wheelchair lift in it. I am almost positive the bottom of the lift is also the bottom of the van, so I am looking for any ideas of what to do?

do I remove the hardware, clean the rust, and hope I can use the base as flooring and an extra 3” of headspace? Or remove it at and make a new base??

Any and all ideas welcome! Love this group, I’ve done so much to my van already with the help of everyone on here!!
Rectangle Composite material Gas Machine Metal

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
964 Posts
I have never seen one up close, but fro, the photo, itapperas yhey cu the floor between to frame ribs to proved the depth needed.
You might be able to get JY to cut out a suitable hunk floor pan and have it weld or rivet it back in place.
Leaving the floor recessed, providing added headroom, might be a nice feature as long as the step in the floor did not interfere with other uses.
Rod J
Issaquah Wa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never seen one up close, but fro, the photo, itapperas yhey cu the floor between to frame ribs to proved the depth needed.
You might be able to get JY to cut out a suitable hunk floor pan and have it weld or rivet it back in place.
Leaving the floor recessed, providing added headroom, might be a nice feature as long as the step in the floor did not interfere with other uses.
Rod J
Issaquah Wa
That is the route I’m hoping to go for! Everything has already been redone underneath to fit the lift so hopefully that won’t be a problem to leave the floor recessed. Might be a couple weeks before I get anything figured out, but I’ll post pictures when I do!

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I just see it as extra storage space. I would make a removable cover and enjoy it. They make 4x8 sheets of PVC board which is waterproof and strong while being light. PVC board is expensive so plywood would work.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,021 Posts
More than just the floor was cut. The frame rail has to be notched for that base to sit so deep.
Do Not remove it!

Remove all the mechanical bits and make a cover.
Just be forewarned that it is right above the exhaust and will need a good heat shield to use it as storage.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,719 Posts
More than just the floor was cut. The frame rail has to be notched for that base to sit so deep.
Do Not remove it!
This exactly! Don't remove any supporting steel either as it was put there on purpose because they cut x amount of the uni-body frame rail from the van.

It's kinda a shame, because wheelchair vans can be hard to find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts