Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2000 Astro MKIII with only 110k miles on it about a month ago off facebook marketplace. My partner and I had been dreaming of a van to turn into a beach crawler/camper for a couple years now and finally went for it. We had a new addition to the family last year and now with the three of us we realized the space was almost necessary for the life that we want to live. I'm not very mechanic-savvy but I'm very willing to learn and when we found the ad for the Astro it just felt meant to be. I figured I could jump in blind and learn as I go. She runs great but I haven't done much as I need to figure out a safe third seat for our Son. The previous owners had already started a rebuild but it was pretty basic. The back was tore out and and a wood flooring was added along with a wooden bedframe. I sadly had to cut the bedframe out so I could see what I was working with on the floor but I did hang on to the makeshift flooring. I'm pretty stumped with the seat, I've checked out 3 different Astros and 2 Safaris at the local "you pull it" but nothing seems to fit. Every bucket seat I've found has brackets that are about 14x14 inches but my Astro only has bolts for 10x10 and has no hardware in the back for a bench seat. I did find a nice seat though a few days ago and pulled it anyway, figured I could find a universal bracket or something that would fit. I'm still learning about brackets but my hopes are high. Maybe I'll make another post in a more appropriate place on the site if I cant figure it out but either way I'm excited to see how this ends up and will keep you guys updated as I go. You guys seem like a pretty cool bunch and the few van builds I've checked out so far are pretty rad. I took the last owner's word that she was in good condition but she seemed pretty trustworthy. They called her "The Turtle." I don't know her well enough to change her name yet and I'm not sure if I ever will, wish me luck with this girl.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
My first thought would be since your bolts are at 10 inches and you want 14 inches. Make a new adapter. A flat plate with two sets of holes.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
My van has that same plate on the floor, it is from the conversion company. The middle seats were gone before I got it, so I was in the same situation. I had the front seats from my wife's old Villager, but the holes didn't line up either. I used whatever studs I could, and cut off the rest. I then marked and drilled the remaining holes. I secured the seats with grade 8 hardware and a backing plate underneath. I was able to use hardware from Astros and Villagers/Quests in the junk yard to configure the seat belts using only factory parts. I think there's pics in my gallery, it's been a while since I looked at them.

Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Shiscub
1 - 3 of 3 Posts