Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1991 Chevrolet Astro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here. I've been on this site a few times and I finally decided to create an account. I'm glad there's a community here for those who share an interest in Astro/Safari vans!

I bought my first Astro van back in June of last year. I like it a lot, its an EXT LT model with AWD, digital dash, and only 110k miles. I want to turn it into something of a camping rig with a lift kit and some other improvements. I already took it camping at a festival last year and it was great. But before I can do that, there are some mechanical issues that I need to take care of. I want to do as much of the work myself as I can. So I'll probably be asking some questions on here from time to time and possibly posting pics of my progress with the van. Posted below is a picture of my van from June. It basically looks the same now other than the drivers door, which was destroyed when somebody backed into the van while it was parked in November. (I'll be looking for a new door very soon).

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Plant Steering wheel

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

· Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Nice van!
Also set up notifications on row52.com for yards near you. You never know what they'll get in.

Reactions: Walker

· Registered
1991 Chevrolet Astro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice van!
Also set up notifications on row52.com for yards near you. You never know what they'll get in.
Thank you

Looks like a neat site, but the search can't seem to find anything available until almost 250 miles away from me. If I have to go that far for a door then so be it, but I hope I can find something closer.

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
Maybe I missed something as far as your location..??? You might want to post your city location at least..someone may contact you where a door might be found close by,individual or JY...I know there is a driver's AWD(not XT..probably same?..in red..) '91 at the local Pull-a-Part,I think the glass is still in it,,hand crank window/red interior....slightly north of Seattle. Are you able to save the logos on the door?..rubber strips? Good luck!

· Registered
1991 Chevrolet Astro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I missed something as far as your location..??? You might want to post your city location at least..someone may contact you where a door might be found close by,individual or JY...I know there is a driver's AWD(not XT..probably same?..in red..) '91 at the local Pull-a-Part,I think the glass is still in it,,hand crank window/red interior....slightly north of Seattle. Are you able to save the logos on the door?..rubber strips? Good luck!
I live in south-east Washington state, and the closest auto parts lot that is registered with Row52 is in Vancouver Washington. Unfortunately I think the door badge is toast. I do want to find a door with electric windows/locks if I can since that is what came with the van. Nothing worse than having a crank window on the driver's side when the passenger side has electric haha.

There is a U-pull-it lot in a city an hour away from me and a couple smaller scrap yards in my town. I'll call around when I have some time to see who has gen 1 parts.

· Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
These vans aren't popping up in the junkyards as frequently as they used to. There's 2 yards near me on Row 52, and they don't always have one. Set up the notification, maybe one will come in closer to you.

I'd also pull the trim and logo, they'll probably flatten out in the sun or with a little heat.

Reactions: Walker

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
Another Washingtonian!..Keep your eyes on these P-N-Ps more two north of Seattle's Pick-n-Pulls..Seattle and south seems to get nothing as far as Astros and Safaris in this area???..after watching it for a year for parts for mine.Bookmark that link below..It should have both up here..parts prices(might change with each yard),etc..etc..Arlington and Lynnwood. Arlington is about 15 miles more north..than Lynnwood...out by Smoky Point..south Arlington.

More than likely..you may have to paint your door to match(paint color code should be on the label in your doghouse's glove box,,bottom line?),..AND use your own inner panels and that(save some bucks leaving what you don't need at the JY!..unless you want extra parts for $$..?) They charge for window glass and whatever is attached to the door you take,I imagine. That may include door handle,inner panels,window motors,armrests..etc..etc.. I'm not sure how much they classify as a "door" for "door price" on their price lists.(ASK what a "door" includes..???)
Lynnwood has been pretty fair for me..I think they like to see "old honest guys" show up.."Hey..you forgot to add on this piece in the bucket!".."cashier..No,I didn't"(wink)..

· Registered
1991 Chevrolet Astro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another Washingtonian!..Keep your eyes on these P-N-Ps more two north of Seattle's Pick-n-Pulls..Seattle and south seems to get nothing as far as Astros and Safaris in this area???..after watching it for a year for parts for mine.Bookmark that link below..It should have both up here..parts prices(might change with each yard),etc..etc..Arlington and Lynnwood. Arlington is about 15 miles more north..than Lynnwood...out by Smoky Point..south Arlington.

More than likely..you may have to paint your door to match(paint color code should be on the label in your doghouse's glove box,,bottom line?),..AND use your own inner panels and that(save some bucks leaving what you don't need at the JY!..unless you want extra parts for $$..?) They charge for window glass and whatever is attached to the door you take,I imagine. That may include door handle,inner panels,window motors,armrests..etc..etc.. I'm not sure how much they classify as a "door" for "door price" on their price lists.(ASK what a "door" includes..???)
Lynnwood has been pretty fair for me..I think they like to see "old honest guys" show up.."Hey..you forgot to add on this piece in the bucket!".."cashier..No,I didn't"(wink)..
I wouldn't mind driving over to the Seattle area for a door or other parts. But I need to work on the safety and mechanical side of things first before I make that journey. The seatbelts do not work very well and there are some potentially dangerous mechanical problems going on. Right now this van and my company work truck are my only two vehicles. My boss wouldn't be happy if he found out I took the truck to Seattle for some auto parts! haha

I'm not very concerned about the paint matching. Mainly want to make sure it has electric controls to match the passenger side door. Saving money by only taking what I need from the scrap yard is a good tip.

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
A couple things to consider..First is Pull-a-part DOES take their pictures somewhat based ON that front door..which works for you!
#2..Chaging a "door" is not just changing a door!You'll more than likely need to take the inside panel and raise the window out of the way just to undo the wire cluster that goes through the rubber tube between the door and the jamb.That cluster is tied in along the front edge of the door to keep it out of the glass and hardware area and tough to get to with the glass in there..and you need to probably have the glass taped over the top of the door(cardboard laid over the top of the door to protect the paint) in the closed position so you can access that area better.The wire cluster is fragile and some of the wires can break if they are bent too much.I had 4 of those wires broken..2 on each door IN THAT RUBBER TUBE.I didn't take the glass out of the way and window motor out(just put a new one in)on the passenger side thinking I could save time..and ended up breaking the newly repaired wires again.It's probably those,bending the wire cluster,trying to get it back in(basically the wire and tape IS TIGHT in that tube)..My right window doesn't work again..^#@^&*..Due to weather and me not using the van right away,I didn't insure it for about a year that I've been working on it. I've only insured it since midJanuary..and finally getting it on the road again to test all I've done..other than driving circles in the driveway. I still need to redo my window switches in the right door..change out the 4 way on the driver's side(The driver's window switch does work but not the passenger portion..Hopefully changing that 4 way will fix it..otherwise I figure one of those wires might be the problem and I'll have to go back into the wire cluster. I did pickup another driver and passenger side switches..hoepefully that'll save me the headache of redoing the wires.
When you take the door off..try to pull it straight off the rubber tube with the wires straight out carefully(if possible?..I haven't changed a door.) They are a pain to untape and resolder.. and get back RIGHT into the cluster and taped up in the front area of the door with more tape or clips.
I haven't done my passenger side due to a lot of crappy weather and having to pull off probably both panels(with the doors wide open) and their christmas tree clips that hold the panel on.On mine..I added some self tapping screws that somewhat hide in the grey carpet(appears we have the SAME interior..) around the lower half of the door for an easier job...The Gen 1 doors are pretty flat so that is possible to use screws(Picture).I've been replacing switches,door handles,etc..window motors..It's a lot easier to take out the screws! I only use the "trees" in the field area of the panel.O Reilly's has the trees if you break a few.Amazon is cheaper for bulk.
Motor vehicle Wood Fixture Red Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

· Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
6,062 Posts
realityguy said:
A couple things to consider...
That is a REAL important post, with very good info... just wish it were formatted better to make it easier to read.
Nothing personal, just us slow ones "get lost in the letters n' words".

I had / have the same problems with our doors, and it is a bummer...

· Registered
92' ASTRO EXT AERO LEISURE TOURING model 4.3 L V6 RWD Barn Doors @ 402,500 + miles org motor/tran
64 Posts
YES! " Another" GREAT READ " RG" 😉 that is ok if we gotta read it slower or read it "twice" to take in " all " the " wisdom" it DOES contain so KEEP UP the GOOD WORK 😄 There R other fellas on the forum that provides ALOT of GOOD detail 2 ! WELCOME "WALKER" 😃... " another " PNWer 😁 DANG! Amazing U found one with such low miles but the fellas here can HELP U get yours looking like U wanna get it ....including your door 👍

· Registered
97 Posts
When i bought my van the mirrors were broken off, and the passenger side fender and door were dented in pretty bad.

Replaced the fender amd mirrors from junkyard parts, and used a screwgun and crowbar to pull the door out for a temporary fix as it was so bad.

Painted fender and door with the closest matching paint i could find at the hardware store which was close but not exact. This van will always be a beater so i wanted it to look nicer but wasnt going to paint the whole thing until i got a new door.

Found a new door about a year ago, its electric windows, where the old one is manual so i will have to swap the hardware and its white so i'll have to paint it too, but havent gotten to that as theres been more important things to do on the van, so the door has been sitting in woodshed collecting dust until i get to it.

I use this van for my work and as im getting more into the business i want to paint it in the future as there are a lot of scratches and faded spots, and would like a better presentation for my customers.

Nice to see another gen 1 van on here, welcome!

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
I went down this morning to the P-N-P around the corner to get some more parts off " MY" '91 AWD Astro parts van. ..Gone!.."Sorry,it's been crushed!"(so am I!:LOL:) I was going to snag the perfect drip moulding off the top of the back doors jamb(kept forgetting my drill to drill off the screw heads..I was going to grab the fuel injectors,and a couple more of the sensors I didn't get before since they all seem to be GM,AC Delco ones..Wahh!
It'll probably be another 6 months before I get another one that close to mine in age and model..
He who hesitates or procrastinates gets screwed!

The door interior screws..someday I'll just paint those screw heads gray..once I'm done taking the panels off..

The early '90s(90-91) had some terrible faded paint and peeling clearcoat..usually how one can tell the van is from that era..

They do have a 2002? they added about a week ago..got a perfect 2 piece gray headliner(joint up front,upper AC/heat vent portion, and cut for the overhead console..but it won't fit my 2004..has a couple Chrome rims and tires on it..5 lug..they RARELY leave rims and tires on them and are using more nicely welded stands for car-support now..rather than using the Astro wheels welded together(OUCH!)... Oh well...

2002 link..still looks like that,on the outside!Note the rims if you need a pair like that.Check that date..!

Interior,dash stuff has a lot gone..except that headliner.. Left rear side glass gone..engine items look like most still there.. I don't know if that door fits yours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts