Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a class 3 hitch on my 02 astro LS with tow package.

Can I put a class 4 hitch or just weld the one I have to increase true tongue wt capacity?

Anyone do anything like this? I have air shocks to help with sag but will probably upgrade to air bags.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm bumping this thread since I really want to know if a class 4 hitch is doable.

Has to be someone on here who has a strong hitch. Hoping they see this and post up.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am wanting greater tongue weight capacity to tow or carry motorcycles on a hitch carrier.
My class 3 is rated 400lbs tongue wt. I was thinking of adapting a hitch from a Tahoe like a class 4 to increase capacity.
Then was wondering if I need to beef up the frame rails with something or not. I only want to carry say 500lbs tongue wt on a hitch carrier.
The Tahoe/suburban class 4's are rated well above that.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha the search is still on. Everything out there is 300 reg 500 load dist.

I want at least 500 reg.

Anyone see any like that that fits our van (02) let me know.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What? NEVER!
I'll bolster the frame with gussets before switching vans.
I was under there figuring how I'd sister up some plates to accommodate it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The brakes to haul a measly 500lbs? I Carry this same bike inside the van all the time. Plus if you put 8 people in your van like we all do its WAY more than 500lbs especially with luggage at all.

Still looking for the 500lb capacity hitch. Looks like suburbans & tahoes have way narrower frame rails.
Still seems like plates bolted or welded on would get me what I want.

My other thought was to mount 2 more arms under the van to stabilize and carry weight more evenly than just the hitch receiver.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I am aware of all those chassis dynamics. I have air shocks & hopefully bags soon.
I am worried that the hitch is the limiting factor then the frame.
Of course I don't want all that squat to mess up geometry. I just figure if I solve the capacity issue and keep the rear up with bags then I can carry my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah a bit. I have a stabilizer for it so that helps. They are built to have give and movement.
I haven't driven with the setup you see. I only carry a small dirtbike over distances.

Ive been racing sportbikes 20yrs and have seen so many guys use these carriers and yeah its scary to watch but they work.
That's why I thought of the 2 stabilizer bars to prevent the twist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts