Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts

^ So that thing doesn't "wobble and bounce around" on a single 2" pivot point?
(beside the squat and leverage issues)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah a bit. I have a stabilizer for it so that helps. They are built to have give and movement.
I haven't driven with the setup you see. I only carry a small dirtbike over distances.

Ive been racing sportbikes 20yrs and have seen so many guys use these carriers and yeah its scary to watch but they work.
That's why I thought of the 2 stabilizer bars to prevent the twist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a class 3 hitch on my 02 astro LS with tow package.

Can I put a class 4 hitch or just weld the one I have to increase true tongue wt capacity?

Anyone do anything like this? I have air shocks to help with sag but will probably upgrade to air bags.
What brand of Hitch did they put on your Astro?

·
Registered
1999 Astro LS
51 Posts
have seen so many guys use these carriers and yeah its scary to watch but they work.
Years ago (1970 or so) I had a hitch made with an axle welded on the end (instead of a receiver). I removed the front wheel of my Triumph 250 and mounted the front fork onto the hitch axle and away we went. I had an Opel Kadett L at the time and have no idea if the 'hitch' was legal or what it was rated for.

Wouldn't want it on a van - cause i wouldn't be able to see the bike to back up!

I do recall that Triumph was way heavier than a dirt bike - but that red thing in the photo looks heavier!

·
Registered
1999 Astro LS
51 Posts
What brand of Hitch did they put on your Astro?
Right, that's what brought me here tonight - looking to select a two-inch receiver hitch for my 99 Astro LS Ext and have found several vendors, brands and models within brands with prices ranging from a low of $125 (Reese Part #: 37042 - Drilling Required ) to over $370. One (Reese) reads " Will Fit With Full Size Spare Tire Stowed Under Vehicle" which I think is an important feature. Also, some do not explicitly state that the hitch does NOT interfere with the stock spare location and I think I only found one hitch that requires moving the spare.
Basically, I will be hauling a small trailer with a 4x4 on it. However, I hope to be able to haul my 5' wide Kubota b7800 tractor with FEL between our two properties (80 miles or so) and that may require a tandem axle trailer. The van should handle the load. Want to be sure that saving a few dollars now doesn't put me at risk later!
It seems that the least expensive model is a 'multi-fit' affair (hence the required drilling) and the 'bolt-on' models are sixty to eighty dollars more.

I'd like to know what I'm getting into if I 'go for' the 'multi-fit' but have yet to find a video of the installation of such a hitch on an Astro or Safari.

Any help??

·
Registered
2002 Astro LT RWD
68 Posts
I was able to pick up a factory hitch from a towing package van at the salvage yard for $25. It was a bolt-on style that allows plenty of room for the factory space-saver spare. There are a few brackets coming off the frame that are replaced by the hitch. Removing the junkyard hitch was a nice warm-up for installing it on my van. Be sure to grab all the fasteners as well if you go this route.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts