Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks. It was good to knock it out - it's been too long since I did real work on the van. Life is busy, ya know?

Of course, now I'm looking at all the things I haven't noticed (or probably more accurately, been willfully ignoring). Like this photo - when I jacked up the left side, maybe I didn't spread the force out enough, maybe it was just ready to go - I crunched this end of the radiator support. Seems like this is a spot that's pretty rust prone, and I'd like to not end up like some of the other vans I've seen where the front end becomes swiss cheese. I guess in the immediate I'll wire wheel back all of the bubbles and spray the whole front section with rust reformer. That crack will probably need a patch welded in though...? Oh well, I've been wanting to learn :roll:

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,907 Posts
mcgregorj said:
Thanks. It was good to knock it out - it's been too long since I did real work on the van. Life is busy, ya know?

Of course, now I'm looking at all the things I haven't noticed (or probably more accurately, been willfully ignoring). Like this photo - when I jacked up the left side, maybe I didn't spread the force out enough, maybe it was just ready to go - I crunched this end of the radiator support. Seems like this is a spot that's pretty rust prone, and I'd like to not end up like some of the other vans I've seen where the front end becomes swiss cheese. I guess in the immediate I'll wire wheel back all of the bubbles and spray the whole front section with rust reformer. That crack will probably need a patch welded in though...? Oh well, I've been wanting to learn :roll:

OK - I'll be the first to admit - I don't understand how you were responsible - other than you did the lift...

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
MechBob said:
What is your point,son! Websites and selling items change,why try to make an issue where there is no issue? the dimensions were posted, that is all you need.
I was literally asking a legitimate question regarding a discrepancy. What does your reply accomplish exactly? Sorry I'd like to make sure I get the right equipment :shrug:

·
Registered
1989 Astro RS on a 1998 AWD frame with a 1994 350 TBI
7,269 Posts
For gen 1 there is no rubber boot on the steering shaft on gen 1 vans not even sure why they put one on the 2nd gen vans. I did a 2" budget lift after I installed steel leaf's from a 2nd gen van. I did not need to touch the steering shaft as mine was adjustable as I believe all 1st gens are to a point. There is a small set screw to loosen for adjustments. not criticizing just stating this for any gen 1 guys reading it.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Just a note on exhaust hanging

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all. I've read the entirety of both this budget 2+1 lift and the "normal" one. A few years back I had new leaf springs installed. The rear of the van measures about 31 inches from floor to the center of the fender. My front sits about 27-28 inches from floor to center of fender. Would body spacers + torsion adjustment correct my "nosedive"? TIA.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,451 Posts
Hi all. I've read the entirety of both this budget 2+1 lift and the "normal" one. A few years back I had new leaf springs installed. The rear of the van measures about 31 inches from floor to the center of the fender. My front sits about 27-28 inches from floor to center of fender. Would body spacers + torsion adjustment correct my "nosedive"? TIA.
I would do the lift blocks and leave the torsion adjustment alone, your CV joints will thank you ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would do the lift blocks and leave the torsion adjustment alone, your CV joints will thank you ;)
The problem is worse than I expected. Upon looking at the body mounts, I noticed how rotten my core supports are in the front. There’s not much holding the radiator support up. I don’t really want to try and replace the core support, so I’m going to try the drummer’s fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I had been disappointed to notice that my shackles did not have the grease fittings…. But it is not unlikely that the petroleum based grease actually degrades the rubber….

Just something to consider.

My 92:

Replaced blown bushings on my rear lift-shackles. Both sides were completely blown out.
Firm shifts (behind my V8) really banged bushings metal to metal.

I lifted my van with floor jack and block under trailer-hitch (no photo)
It's being held up (in this photo) by jack-stands further up (with rear-end hanging freely)
View attachment 285560

To pull shackles, I did not need to disconnect shocks
(you can flex springs up or down easily by hand to slide out bolts)
View attachment 285562

I suspect petroleum-based grease ate up the bushings, since they were only a few years old.
Poly-urethane manufacturers suggest to use ONLY silicone based grease.
View attachment 285561

For reference, bushings (on these lift shackles) are 1.5" OD x 3/4" ID (for sleeve)
View attachment 285563

Sleeve is 3/4" OD x 1/2" ID (x 3.5" long for Gen1 monoleaf)
View attachment 285564

I found replacement bushings by Energy Suspension #3.2124G for $18 Amazon (also available in red)
This bushing set will work for either Gen 1 or Gen 2 using this brand lift shackle
View attachment 285566

Product comes with 4 bushings, 2 sleeves (not used).. and silicone grease.

All cleaned up, lubed, and ready to go in.
I recommend (this time) do not use zerk fittings (pumped with petroleum based grease)...
but coat bushings with silicone grease by hand.
View attachment 285565

FUN NOTE: Due to weak worn springs... I run diver-side one hole higher than passenger side
(to compensate for weight and worn DS spring... to level the vehicle)
Each hole is good for 1/2" lift increment (since adjusting only rear side of spring)
Van now sits perfectly level (left to right)
View attachment 285570

Only hand tools needed for entire job: 13/16 wrench, 13/16 ratchet & socket, 7/8 wrench
Both sides done (job about 20 min per side max)
View attachment 285567

Took it for it's test drive next morning to local car show... rode great as always!
View attachment 285568

Happy again... LIFE IS GOOD!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts