Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
mcgregorj said:
Finally got the lightbar mounted to the Jeep bumper and wired up yesterday. I think it works pretty well to fill the visual gap. It's also pretty friggin bright for a $30 cheapo. Now I just need to plastidip the gaps to the left and right and then hit the faded parts of the bumper with something to clean them up.

Oh, and actually deal with the need-to-do stuff like my cracked sway bar, instead of goofing around with lights...

Hey Looks great I'm looking into the same setup! Hey Where in Jersey are you? I was born in Asbury Park, Left Jersey in 1990. Been back to visit my Family. I'm trying to get my Brother that lives in Jersey to get an Astro/Safari.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Added one more piece to the front bumper mod. Minor additions to the front fenders to cover up the ugly stuff. Took piece of 1/8" x 39" x 12" rubber cut it to fit around the lower part of the fender and around to the radiator opening. One piece does both sides. The 1/8" rubber cuts with regular scissors, makes for easy install. Installed it with GM's little plastic do hickeys and voila!

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
@wimpazz - No. Haven't done any lift yet. Didn't get the new bumper perfectly vertically centered on the bumper bracket (my bumper bolts were way out of whack) so that might account for a quarter inch.

@srdragonusa - I'm up in Essex County. Would love to get together with other NJ Astro folks at sometime. Send your brother along if it happens!

· Registered
15 Posts
Astro Pop said:
Added one more piece to the front bumper mod. Minor additions to the front fenders to cover up the ugly stuff. Took piece of 1/8" x 39" x 12" rubber cut it to fit around the lower part of the fender and around to the radiator opening. One piece does both sides. The 1/8" rubber cuts with regular scissors, makes for easy install. Installed it with GM's little plastic do hickeys and voila!
So I was looking at lowe's a while back for something like this. I almost used that black trim for around flower beds, stupid question but where did you get your rubber?

· Registered
1,205 Posts
ThatVanGuy - I got it on Amazon. I couldn't find it locally. I love Amazon Prime, I get my stuff fast.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CK ... UTF8&psc=1

Wimpazz - This time I didn't photo it. I fell on my camera on a hike and cracked the lens. I have a template for the rubber though! The push pins are simply 1/4" holes thru the rubber & the sheet metal on the front. I did use one screw thru a strip of aluminum into the lower fender lip to hold the rubber there. I have enough stuff to make another set. I'll set you up at Burnin' Van.

· Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,280 Posts
Astro Pop said:
I have enough stuff to make another set.
I think you might want to stock up and make those in addition to your cup holders.
Simple but very effective. Really helps clean up that part of the bumper install.

· Registered
3,025 Posts
There has been talk about that in this thread, if I remember correctly they don't mount up the same way. But no one has pulled the trigger on it. Honestly, the jeep bumper is just a neat mod for cheap. They are a close to a good size fit, but its pretty ghetto rigged on the backside to make it look right. If you were going to drop some real money on a decent bumper just have one made. I had my front bumper fabbed for about $200 including metal.

If you picked up a used one for pretty cheap you can have the appropriate stuff created to make it "bolt up". Anything you buy after market is still going to have to be modified to bolt to the front of the van and is still probably not going to have the right proportions.

· Registered
141 Posts
Not true Wimpy. My front bumper is an aftermarket Jeep front bumper. It is made by Warrior products, and I think it is one of their "rock crawler" bumpers.

I had already mounted the stock Jeep front bumper and then I found someone selling this on CL for $80. Couldn't pass that up! I had to do some minor mods to the Jeep sub-bumper (remove the round crush mounts and expand the holes for the mounting bolts) but it more-or-less bolted right up. It does have the same issues as the stock Jeep bumper with the gaps on the side, but overall I like the look.
bumper.jpg

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
yeah you just wanted to show off that beautiful front end Andy!
Some fit, some don't, but unless it's flat (like yours or the stock bumper), chances are it won't fit the crush mounts. Most jeep bumpers with winch plates pop up on the sides, right where our mounts go. Of course there are exception like everything else.
Soooo.... when might you be posting move info on your awesome grill/ bumper build???

161 - 180 of 216 Posts