Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Got any good info ? schematics ? wiring diagrams ? trouble shooting charts ? links to informational webpages ? pictures ? upload them here! feel free to upload anything you want and put it where ever you want or wherever you can. also you can download the info from this website , edit it or add info to it or correct info thats incorrect and repost if you wish . i will download and keep copys of all the info onto my computer and edit it , reorganize and prioritize all info and repost it.

I made this troubleshooting chart a few years back for my chevrolet 1988 ---1992 Throttle body injection and i add information to it sometimes when i learn something new .

{{{{WONT START}}}}}
make sure battery voltage is above 12.15 volts ?
ck for codes
Ignition ? check for spark w timing light
test w spark tester , nice blue spark?
if no spark
distributer wet or?
distributor turning?
ck cap and rotor
trying to start the car all the time ( cranking but it wont start) will ruin your plugs
replace plugs
ignition module or coil
FUEL SYSTEM
95 percent of the time it is a fuel pump problem
fuel filter comes in second
possible causes of high fuel psi readings
faulty fuel psi regulator
restriction in return fuel line
faulty fuel line couplings at fuel tank or fuel pickup
sticking or sluggish injectors
possible causes of low fuel psi
clogged or restricted fuel filter
restriction in psi line
faulty fuel pump
faulty fuel pump relay
blown fuel pump fuse
faulty fuel pump wiring
faulty fuel psi regulator
leaking fuel injectors
faulty fuel line couplings at fuel tank or fuel pickup
Initial start-up problems are usually fuel pressure related.
listen to hear if the fuel pump is running
if you dont hear it apply 12 volts to the fuel pump wire test connector
test to see if pump is getting 12 volts
prime (FUEL DOWN) TBI
w coil wire off (crank engine) are injectors squirting?
w coil wire off (turn key to run ) are injectors leaking?
fuel pump relay & oil psi switch are part of fuel delivery
bypass (temp) with direct power w a standard relay
long cranking times could be a fuel pump relay
testing fuel pressure regulator
will leak and smell like fuel
the fuel pressure regulator can cause a low pressure, but normally if the regulator is the problem, you wont have
a fuel pressure change when you snap the the throttle, and also the system wont hold any pressure, in other words
if you key on and the pressure falls to zero soon as the pump stops running. you can rule out the regulator out by
pinching off the return fuel line, and recheck pressure. if the pressure doesnt increse then the pump is bad.

timing chain
its in gear or stuck in gear
park neutral switch?
timing chain
important wiring for starting : : : Ignition & Distributor wiring fuell injector wiring PCM wiring
starter turns slowly could be a bad starter or low battery voltage
catalatic convertor plugged?
bad coolant temp sensor esp w/ cold out

vacuam leak?
You might have a clogged EGR valve, keeping the pintle open which is essentially a huge vacuum leak.

Hey guys! Got a random idle issue. Oh... '99 Astro, 4.3.... Start it up, whether it is cold or not, and sometimes it will idle high for a few seconds and then drop down to a normal idle. But as soon as I shift into D, the idle will raise back up for a second or two and then drop down to normal again. If I dont wait for it to idle down, it will keep the high idle and I can cruise down the street at 35-40mph with cruise control. Coming up to a stop light, it wants to keep on going! until I come to a complete stop, then it idles down to where its supposed to be. Its raisin hell with the mileage. Neighbor said it sounds like the Idle Air Control Valve.
sounds like a vacuum leak to me

{{{{RUNS BAD}}}}
ck for codes
compression test to verify engine is worth giving a tune up
tune up air filter fuel filter new pcv valve
pcv vale clogged /dirty
air cleaner / fuel filter dirty
O2 sensors ------ Bank-1 Sensor-3 is a common one to fail in any vehicle.
EGR problem
open EGR is the same as a vacuum leak
bad catalytic convertor
vacuum hoses split or cracked
high map output or low resistance can cause poor performance
ignition module , they fade over time , same is true of map sensor good to replace
leaky fuel lines , ck fuel psi w guage
remove 1 plug at a time until engine runs rough
ck plug wires w timing light
ck for nice blue spark at all ! plugs

ck plug wires w/ ohmmeter ,,,,over 30000 ohms replace ,,,,8000ohm per foot ok
OVER 30,000OHMS REPLACE
8000OHM PER FOOT OK
if it runs bad after engine warms up prob oxygen sensor or bad plugs
if transmission acts up after 15 minutes of driving , probally heat related

{{{{DIED WHEN DRIVING}}}}
engine starts & immediatly stalls ,,unplug bypass & then start , if ok replace pickup coil
Timing off

MONITOR
Dash guages
look for codes
ck spark at all plug wires w timing light (quick)
ck spark w spark tester ( nice blue spark at all plugs!)
montor fuel psi w guage
alternator output , 14.5 w engine running
start engine unhook neg battery cable car dies alternater bad
2 different manifold vacuum test ,, see chart
timing
koeo ck for leaking injectors
compression test , if ok procede to tune up
ck for oil in coolant or coolant in oil
look for codes
look at fuses

ENGINE CONDITION?
sticking valves can be seen w / timing light (rockers off)
vacuam test key run
vacuam test engine running
compression test w all plugs removed
spark plug examination ( laid out in cardboard

COMPRESSION TEST ____ PROCEDURE
warm up engine
remove all plugs 3/8"
disable coil
fully open throttle
crank 2 or 3 times in short burst
record highest
repeat for each cylinder
compare highest to specs
ok if it not less 80% of max
the diff should be no more then 13 psi
if a cyl is low pour table spoon of oil in
and repeat comp test if comes up piston rings or bore worn or damaged
if remains low leaking or damaged valves may be at fault or head gasket
leaking past the valve may be caused by burned valves seats and or faces or warped , cracked or bent valves
if two adjacent cyl have equally low compression strong poss ibility headgasket blown between them
coolant in crank case will verify this
if comp unussually high combustion chambers prob coated w/ carbon deposits if so remove heads and decarbonize .
low comp on 1st stroke followed by gradual increase on sussecive strokes indicates worn piston rings
low comp on first stroke that does'nt build indicates leaking valves or a blown head gasket or a cracked head

EXAMINE HEAD GASKET

runs rich or lean
#1 "rich" problem is a leaking EGR valve. Always check to make sure that this valve doesn't have a leaking pintle and seat--and make sure the EGR solenoid isn't energized (if exists) or that the EGR valve vacuum port isn't being supplied with manifold vacuum. Generic EGR valves are a very poor purchase choice.

#2 "rich" problem is a leaking MAP sensor hose or faulty MAP sensor. Again--simple tests will reveal the problem.

#3 "lean" problem is leaking TBI base gaskets (accompanied by a fast idle and low IAC "counts"). Replace the base gasket where required. Contaminated MAF sensors which improperly measure engine airflow will also incorrectly fuel the engine. This can lead to detonation or very lean operating conditions.

#4 "lean or rich" problem is an O2 sensor that has biased lean or rich. Test to see that the O2 sensor can produce at least 150mV to 900mV. Any leaks ahead of an O2 sensor will slew the computer calibration rich, since the computer will think there's a "lean" problem. Faulty canister purge solenoids, vacuum leaks, restricted fuel injectors, leaking fuel injectors, leaking fuel pressure regulators, improper PCV valve, leaking MAF boot...etc. -- ALL can cause fuel calibration problems. Please verify before calling. New injectors are often faulty--especially 'performance injectors'.

If your TPS voltage is too high, the ECM automatically is 'thinking' that the throttle plate angle is higher than normal--so additional fuel is added. Check a service manual for the proper specification (typically 0.42-0.68volts throttle plate closed).

Check base ignition timing. It must be at the factory setting.

If you had problems starting your car or truck, check the engine oil--does it smell like fuel ? Check fuel pressure ! Low fuel pressure is sometimes worse than high fuel pressure. If an injector dribbles fuel -- poor atomization is the result. If you're working with a throttle body system, look at the injector spray pattern when running. Use a timing light and note if the pattern changes from a 'mist' to a solid wave at any time. If the pattern also accompanies an engine "misfire"--check the distributor closely. The injector is fired by the ECM via signal from the distributor.

If the calibration doesn't run good "closed loop" let us know what the fuel trim numbers indicate (from a scan tool). Do not phone until engine has at least cycled the cooling fans once or the thermostat has opened--or you've driven at least 30 miles. An ECM or PCM must "learn" new fuel strategies--allow 'learn in' time. Speed density systems are the most difficult to "dial" in, so if all known problems do not seem to be apparent, we may need to recalibrate the fuel curve. Try to include all the camshaft specifications when you fill the order form. Do not build low compression engines with wild camshafts--you won't like the result.

FIELD SERVICE MODE
connect ALDL pins B TO GROUND ENGINE RUNNING [RUN 1500 RPM 4- 2 SECONDS & NOTE LIGHT
FUEL SYSTEM OPERATING OK & RUNNING CLOSED LOOP FLASH ONCE PER SECOND
2.5 TIME PER SECOND FUEL SYSTEM OPEN LOOP(WONT GO CLOSED SEE SEC 13
OFF MOST OF THE TIME LEAN EXAUST SEE CODE 44
ON MOST OF THE TIME RICH EXAUST SEE CODE 45
SHOULD BE CLOSED LOOP AT IDLE

{{{{LINKS}}}}
https://www.s10v8.com/home.php
Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
ThirdGen.Org
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2633#p16868
Jbabs's Fuel Injection Page
http://fuelinjectionconnection.com/
http://riverviewtire.com/Tireheightchart.html
Swapping from EFI to a Carb in Camaro or Firebird - ThirdGen.Org

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Excellent post webcat, thanks for sharing it.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need a FSM for my 2002. I've got a chance to pick up a cheap set of 1998 manuals. Wondering how useful they will be for engine, body, suspension, steering and brakes? (I've got copies of 2002 electrical drawings already).
Thanks,
dg

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,158 Posts
You need '00, '01 or '02 manuals.

·
Registered
112 Posts
astroconvert said:
I need a FSM for my 2002. I've got a chance to pick up a cheap set of 1998 manuals. Wondering how useful they will be for engine, body, suspension, steering and brakes? (I've got copies of 2002 electrical drawings already).
Thanks,
dg
I have volume 2 of the FSM set free if you are willing to cover postage. I offered it for sale earlier and no one cared so if you want it PM me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the troubleshooting hints. However I'd like to add at the very beginning with a "no start" condition, I'd check to see if the side post terminals are tight. I don't know how many times I've run across a loose end that was giving just enough of a connection that it would light up the lights and stuff, but not a good enough connection to actually start the vehicle. The 1st time it happened to me about 38 1/2 years ago, and it was on my wedding day.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,158 Posts
Two years later, I hope he got it fixed.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,037 Posts
I'm here:

There is a tiny bit of information for our vans over here including links for service/owners manuals: Astro-Safari-Info Astro-Safari-Info - User/Service Manuals and Docs

My links: Astro-Safari-Info - AstroWill Links
There are some links(some assembly required) over there for the GM Techline eSI .ova which is the digital factory service manual in a virtual machine, covers many models from 1996 through 2005. The virtual machine runs best in Virtualbox, so no complicated setup and works with Linux/Macintosh/Windows, anywhere that Virtualbox will run. Astro-Safari-Info - Virtualbox

Someone on TPB has created some torrents including a PDF 3rd party service manual for an 03(which just so happens to be what you will often get if you order an 'ebay' PDF manual), a 'lesser' manual for 85-96, some RV/boat info(handy for RV/camping conversions). Just search up 'Astro Safari' on TPB and they show up, then click on the users name(gmesi) to show more from that user.

Edit: There is now a pack consisting of all 1985-2005 Astro/Safari wiring diagrams over on TPB(also in my links). They are 3rd party, but I like that they are mostly colored and make for a great quick reference. However the factory diagrams contain more info and are generally more accurate. They each have their use.

If you are looking for some owners manuals, there are some hosted right here: Owner Manuals

For more links, see my links above or the link in my signature/profile. Some links have to be assembled as they are not directly linked, animated image below shows one way of assembling links.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Software Electronic device

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Ooooooo, Christmas came early, looks like someone posted a pack of all of the wiring diagrams over on TPB.

Get it while it's hot!

Additional mediafire links in my sig :)

TPB = The Pirate Bay

I was impressed with it, that is a huge undertaking to get them all like that.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
When I clicked on your mediafire link it gave me a page that says something appears to be missing

I can honestly say I have never done that. Its ok I bought the manuals I need to make up my book for my van. I will scan and save from other manuals to add to mine after I get mine all scanned to my external hard drive. This way I can print whatever page I may need in the future without going through multiple books . My van is an 89 with the rear doors from a 94 , the frame from a 98 the engine is a 91 from a Silverado as is the transmission. My rear doors have wiper, defroster and a switch to pop it open from inside and outside I installed. So as you can see I want all pertinent wiring diagrams.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I needed to find a wiring diagram for my 2001 Safari here but I didn't find what I needed. However, my library has an online resource called Auto Repair Source that has detailed wiring diagrams for all systems and most cars. It is an exhaustive resource for DIY car repair.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts