Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Van#2
My interior lights no longer come on automatically when I open the doors manually with the key.
I don't like to use the Fob as it has a pain in the *** alarm the previous owner installed so I've used the key for a long time and it worked normally.

If the Dome override button is out the lights stay on even as I'm driving.

I've read the manual and cannot figure out what's going on is anybody else had this problem?

Edit
My other 99 van #1 has always had this issue even when using the FOB.
It will come on briefly when I click the fob.

But if I just open the doors w/o the Fob the lights will not come on.

Thanks

· Registered
1,697 Posts
If your lights stay on all the time,with doors shut,I would say you have a bad door switch/shorted wire,"EXCEPT" you have an aftermarket alarm(and who knows what else)probably time to remove all the aftermarket stuff.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I just made a edit on my original post.

What is weird is Van #2 worked normally before and now all of a sudden it doesn't.

My other van #1 has never worked properly and all it has is an aftermarket stereo I had my neighbor put in.

Is there a fuse for the doors?

Weird

Thanks

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fabinator said:
Keep in mind the dome override interrupts the ground to the interior lights before it reaches the door switches. It sounds like your dome override is broken as well, unless the dimmer switch is messed up too.
Okay thanks for the replies guys. :thumbup:

The dimmer on the left hand side works.

So I'm not an electrical Guru how do I check the door switches do I jumper it with a paperclip or wire?

Thanks

· Registered
218 Posts
The door switches basically just ground the lights to the door frame. Unscrew the switch, don't let the wire touch, and repeat for the rest of the doors. If the lights go out, one of those switches are not breaking the circuit. Re-install each one, one at a time, and test function. Make sure the lights go out when actually closing the door, not just pushing the switch with your thumb; sometimes the door doesn't push the switch in enough, and a shim (penny) must be glued in place.

· Registered
218 Posts
Oh, if you have dutch doors, the rear hatch also activated the dome light. Mine has a slider switch built into each strut, and they are prone to breaking wires and shorting out. The grommet where the wires go into the frame can be pulled out, and the connector will be about 3 inches down. There is enough slack to pull the connector through the hole and unplug the switch, just don't let the wire fall into the hole, otherwise you will be inventing new words.

· Registered
1 Posts
Van#2
My interior lights no longer come on automatically when I open the doors manually with the key.
I don't like to use the Fob as it has a pain in the *** alarm the previous owner installed so I've used the key for a long time and it worked normally.

If the Dome override button is out the lights stay on even as I'm driving.

I've read the manual and cannot figure out what's going on is anybody else had this problem?

Edit
My other 99 van #1 has always had this issue even when using the FOB.
It will come on briefly when I click the fob.

But if I just open the doors w/o the Fob the lights will not come on.

Thanks
I have this problem when the dash dimmer (adjustable wheel in dash next to light knob in dash) is all the way up... maybe this is whats going on for some of you, its like a hidden dome switchch that doesn't respond to the override button. Many a dead battery until I discovered this lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts