Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around installing a rear hatch release in my van. I know others have done it different ways. I'm not sure if all the years are the same, but on my 2005 I just picked any old 2 wire actuator switch I found on Amazon and mounted it above the grab handle on the rear window trim. I spliced into the same wire the outside switch uses and grabbed a constant on 12v from wire harness on the drivers side of the hatch.

The switch is off center because the type I used needed the extra depth.at that spot of the hatch. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably use a different switch, and rethink the location. I'll still call it a win, because it's been on my to-do list for a long time. IIRC some older models had a release switch on the dash? Can't understand whey this wasn't standard equipment. Safety issue maybe? Sorry I didn't take more pics..

Electrical wiring Bumper Automotive exterior Cable Technology

Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
148 Posts
Nice. That would be very convenient. Those who grew up with big station wagons may remember being able to get out the back themselves.

I wonder if it would work to use the same button on the inside as the outside, and if locked, it would not push in. Keyhole on the inside button would be rather pointless. Maybe add a momentary on-off-on switch nearby to lock/unlock all the doors including the hatch buttons...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts