Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to use my wipers one morning and nothing happened. An hour later, they worked. About a week later, same thing- neither worked, I smelled nothing, saw nothing. I went to WallyWorld and when I returned to my van, I decided to check the arms to see if they moved freely, or were locked in place- locked. I switched to a low speed setting and could hear the motor spinning, but nothing happened. An hour later, they both worked.

When things like this happen, I usually think of the scene in the Godfather or Sopranos, where someone is yelling "I'm smart! I'm smart! I'm not like they say!".

Has anyone seen this? Could it be a loose bolt holding the arms onto the motor and do they actuate a switch? The van has 242K miles, FWIW.

Thanks, in advance

·
Registered
01 Astro Cargo RWD, 97 Astro Mark III AWD
1,827 Posts
Likely GM's wonderful bad ground syndrome.
You will probably need to replace the wiper motor.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
I had funky wipers in my work van 20 years ago.I resoldered the board, and had no further issues with it.

Reactions: AstroWill

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a different wiper 'glitch': my hazard button broke, so I had to replace the entire "Multifunction Steering Column Mounted Switch", it was a cheaper version, (probably made in China), and ever since then the position of my steering wheel affects the wipers...with the wipers on I will notice the speed of the intermittent wipers will sometimes change with the steering wheel position. Just another gremlin to watch for if you don't find the problem elsewhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a video on YouTube showing that if a jumper is connected from the wiper motor housing to one of the ground studs on the firewall, it worked, for that case- I'll try that, since it hasn't flaked out lately. Then, I'll look further.

Why can't they make these things work for 250K miles, or more? Planned obsolescence, I tells ya!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a different wiper 'glitch': my hazard button broke, so I had to replace the entire "Multifunction Steering Column Mounted Switch", it was a cheaper version, (probably made in China), and ever since then the position of my steering wheel affects the wipers...with the wipers on I will notice the speed of the intermittent wipers will sometimes change with the steering wheel position. Just another gremlin to watch for if you don't find the problem elsewhere.
I managed a car audio installation department and one of the guys broke the hazard light button- that had the structural integrity of a freaking Luden's cough drop. I had an account at a local Chevy dealer for parts discount and it still cost close to $350 for the OEM assembly!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Likely GM's wonderful bad ground syndrome.
You will probably need to replace the wiper motor.
DO NOT replace the wiper motor. It's a waste of money cause it's just gonna happen again. that's what I did the first time my wiper motor went. That was only 20$ off a scrap van but the way to permanently fix the bad ground is so easy, quicker than replacing the motor, and costs less. I also had the same symptoms you're having. It's quite a common issue.

here is a good video and it's exactly what I did -
- Just install your own ground wire. I barely use wipers anyways now since I started using Rain X

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a similar problem for awhile now and haven't worked it out... Wipers move but no fluid comes out. Checked all the lines and replaced the motor but still nothing. For a month I would get intermittent fluid spray but it stopped now. I also have no control over the speed of my wipers. On every setting they are the same speed, fast. I've been putting this issue on the backburner for too long now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it has been raining for a few days and it works, so I guess I'll wait until everything dries and if it stops, I'll have a test lead with me, so I can see if that solves the problem.

Thanks

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
Why can't they make these things work for 250K miles, or more? Planned obsolescence, I tells ya!
It's great for business!
Fun fact: One of the if not THE first products to incorporate planned obsolescence was the light bulb.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's great for business!
Fun fact: One of the if not THE first products to incorporate planned obsolescence was the light bulb.
Look into Edison's business/patent practices and you'll understand why.

·
Registered
01 Astro Cargo RWD, 97 Astro Mark III AWD
1,827 Posts

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
It is now called the Centennial Light in Livermore CA
With a filament that is 8x thicker than what you would see later and being made of carbon, makes sense.

Fun fact: It wasn't Thomas Edison that invented electric light, it was Sir Humphry Davy, way before Thomas Edison was even born.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, sure enough, the wipers didn't work yesterday (not sure how this happened, since it rained all night), so I turned it to an intermittent setting, touched a wire from the base to a ground stud and it worked. Worked all day, too.

Add a ground wire, or resolder?

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
Question is, where has it failed? Have you looked at G110 behind the battery(wiper motor ground)?

The other ground in the system is G100 which is the ground for the washer pump that is controlled by the wiper motor board. It's on the radiator support by the washer fluid reservoir. Worth having a look at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts