Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts
Those rockers are going to be the bane of your existence. You can get full length outers on ebay and pray that the inners are still good. Inner panels are NLA anywhere. I had to get cuts from a part out van to get inner panels.

Here are some links for body panels

Mill Supply

Raybuck

National Autobody

Check the body mount area of the radiator core support. Odds are it will show some flaking paint which means it has already started rusting from the inside. I have been almost 2 years trying to find a yard that is willing to cut out a good replacement and ship it.

They are easy to locate on
Row52.com
Car-part.com

I still haven't figured out how to get pictures while talking on the phone.
No one seems to know how to text or email pictures.

New door seals are available through
Steele Rubber Products

Reactions: NoQuarter

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I believe they were welded to the inner rocker panels. You can also add extensions to attach to the running board mounting points in the frame rails. I have seen pics of true rock sliders mounted that way used as a lifting point on the side of the van.

Reactions: NoQuarter

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Taking a step back to those motor mounts. There is nothing missing but the rubber has definitely seen better days. Also plan on the transmission mount.

I am interested in those barn doors.
Send me a message with some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
No Worries on the doors.
You definitely want to get all that rust taken care of. Wire brush the heavy stuff. Then rust encapsulator followed by bed liner. You cab seal the inside of those frame tubes with frame sealer. How do the inner rockers look?

Rust Encapsulator
Bed Liner
Internal Frame Coating

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was thinking about the frame sealer but seems the inside will be so flakey wasn't sure it would be effective enough to help. Would you just spray and pray or is there a better method?
Pick up a borescope to use with your phone or tablet and take a look inside.
It may just be a matter of using a pressure washer and flushing them out.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I hope your taking good measurements. You might be making kits for this:LOL:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Once the main beam and the 2 uprights are set. Filling in with sheet will be easy peasy.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Going the rocker guard approach. If you look at the frame rails you will find the mounting holes for the OEM running boards. You can use these to attach angle to. Then run attachments out to the guards. This will eliminate the need for a solid attachment to the outer shin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts