Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

So after a day and a half I can say that my 4x4 swap is complete. I scored a np233-c from the local junkyard for $75 bucks along with the Journeys 4x4 conversion kit. I tested the t-case, cleaned and painted it.
Engineering Machine Metal Auto part Carmine

Anyway, the install was straight forward, but not without issue. The rear differential u joint bolts were stripped. Luckily, the harbor freight bolt extractor got them out with minimal effort. Finding the replacement bolts were not as easy as the dorman gm u- joint strap kit are too wide. They use a 11mm socket where the stock uses a 8mm. I ordered a new set from amazon so we will see if they will fit.

Otherwise everything else installed fine. The AWD case was much heavier and a bit larger than the np 233c.

Once I fired up the van, I cycled through the the gears to make sure everything was functioning properly. First off, it was very tough if not impossible to shift into 4x4 low with my foot on the brake(Yes, tranny was in neutral). So, keep your foot off the brake if you do it.

4x4 Low is definitely a turtle with the power of a bear. Once I make the shift into low, the van lunges a little bit and the toque comes on. The shift points are extremely low. I think it shifted into 2nd gear at 6 mph.

All in all, 4x4 high seems fine and I hope 2wd can save me a few bucks in gas. 87 costs around $3.50 a gallon so every MPG helps.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tread

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really interested in the 4x4 swap but I use my van for lumber/material hauling and I want to keep the space between the front seats clear. Do I just need to figure out how to keep the electric shift to 4x4 or do you have any other ideas?

edit: did you pull the transfer case in the yard or did they do it? My yards are pull yourself but climbing under those things in the mud here is not appealing at all.
-Jim
No idea on an electric shift mod, but I will say that the manual shift lever is very close to the drivers seat. It really doesnt take too much space from the center.

To answer the second question, The wrecking yard pulled the t case. I went to Chuck and Eddies here in CT. They also warrantied it for 6 months.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The linkage is adjustable so I'd did not run into issues. After a day of messing around, I found that the transfer case shifts the best in neutral on a flat surface
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

with your foot off the brake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts