Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,403 Posts
I am really interested in the 4x4 swap but I use my van for lumber/material hauling and I want to keep the space between the front seats clear...
I have the 233C 4x4 swap.. and the space between my seat is completely free and clear. I actually have a box that sits between my seats. My makeshift cable shifter is mounted to the side of my seat, and the shift lever pulls upward along the seat.

Here's a picture of it pulled up to the 4-LO position..
Sleeve Bag Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Line

It is simply mounted to the side of my seat base.
I designed this shifter lever with simple parts (from hardware store)
It does however incorporate a shifter cable (pulls though floor) attached to transfer case.
Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle fork Bicycle accessory

And finally, here's an overhead view photo (with my center box box between seats).
Shifter essentially uses no floor space...
Product Automotive tire Textile Rectangle Automotive design

It is completely out of the way and forgotten, but is VERY accessible and easy to use..
Just reach down and pull up! Couldn't be any easier and I couldn't be any more please with the results!
Shifter arm cost me about $10 worth of parts.
Tool Bicycle part Line Composite material Nickel

NOTE: If you have swivel seat (with no base), then this shifter arm could simply be floor mounted to a vertical mounting tab mounted by the seat. Also note I have trimmed this arm length down a few inches since first installation.

Here is shift cable mounted outside under the floor-board:
Plumbing fixture Tap Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Fluid

.. and finally the shift cable mounted to my 233C transfer-case
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Bumper

My entire swap is documented here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding 4x4 operation... YES getting in/out of 4x4 LO can sometimes be a bit tricky. It's a matter of "meshing" the low-range gear. You essentially want to be free-wheeling in neutral (sometimes coasting helps). If I have any extra difficulty, I simply shut the motor off temporarily which works like a charm. Same for shifting back out of 4-LOW. This apparently is a "common issue" with most 4x4 vehicles. I suspect even the electronic shifting setups still suffer from the 4-LOW meshing issue.. eventually locking-in while continually applying force.

Shifting in/out of 4-HI on the otherhand, is completely effortless, and can even be done while you are driving.

For bonus points.. here a video of my 4x4 shift lever...
(doesn't shift as hard as it may appear)

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I like Musicmans But wont work with power seat base.
Thanks.. but not exact true. While mine is bolted to the side of my seat base, it would be nothing to install a small vertical bracket to the floor as your shifter pivot point. Lever would still pull up next to the seat, leaving floor space between seats open.

The electronic option is a nice solution, although more involved to install.
It's clean and professional.
But many opt for manual operation because NO parts to fail.
That's the beauty of manual.. you pull a lever and it ALWAYS works.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I was doing research for this swap I read that some guys had trouble with front end wobble or the front end acting bad on the highway at certain speeds.
The transfer case swap has ZERO affect on steering or suspension... none whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
The front differential is an "open" differential and is completely disengaged in 2WD mode.
There is zero interaction between them in this mode.

But your front wheels (on the ground) are STILL technically turning the differential (regardless of model TC), so if the differential has issues, then there would likely be driving issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts