Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can dig up the parts costs, but how much is labor to rebuild an engine, starting with hot tanking and going forward? Maybe the better question is how many hours would it take, since labor rates vary from shop to shop? Assume a new cam along with pistons, etc. I guess aluminum heads are not available anymore for a V6?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Just had the head work done on my tractor. 500 dollars. 4 cyl. You would be better off with a long block than trying to find a shop to rebuild yours. Just one guys opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I agree rebuilding vs buying a reman remember the companies that build reman engines buy huge amounts of the same parts thereby getting super cheap prices that you, or I cannot compare to. The machining cost would be the same since they do it all in house. Then you have to take into account that since your engine is still all together, you will not know what it needs till it's apart. If you buy a kit before you take the engine apart, and it needs to be bored, then your rings and pistons in the kit are useless to you. I looked into this for a 350 and price wise I could not even do a refresh for the price of a reman engine. And then there is the warranty on a reman that you will not have if you rebuild it yourself.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,754 Posts
I can dig up the parts costs, but how much is labor to rebuild an engine, starting with hot tanking and going forward? Maybe the better question is how many hours would it take, since labor rates vary from shop to shop? Assume a new cam along with pistons, etc. I guess aluminum heads are not available anymore for a V6?
Depends on where you are at, talk to local shops. Time/expense always depends on exactly how much work needs to be done, who is doing the work, and where they are located.

Parts availability has always been worse for the 6, esp performance parts. This is only going to get worse with time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Yes, seems that headers for an AWD 'stro do not exist. I was really counting on headers to squeeze a little more oomph out of my baby when pulling medium weight trailers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wonder how much room is needed to make a 2wd header fit?

When everyone does their lifts they leave the engine in the same position on the subframe, making modifications for it to be lower in the body.

However you could do a lift and block the engine up too off the subframe to stay with the body instead, which would create space between the motor and front diff

Maybe not enough for a 2wd header, but maybe enough to modify one and make something work

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,713 Posts
With my AWD lift, I have a LOT of overhead space in my engine compartment.
It is my intention to lift my engine (for V8) at LEAST 2" to clear the oil pan.. but may go more after I look into headers. This is without a doubt probably the easier and best route to take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts