1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Astro LT Ext w/ FE3 (RWD), 7 Passenger, Dutch Doors, Med Teal, 4.3 V6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puddling in front of step well:
Hood Automotive lighting Fluid Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Entering interior at front left corner of foot well (note unsealed panel, loose cable hook):
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Wood

This is where I was wetting the van in front of windshield near hood hinge (cowling removed):
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

I was thinking the body sealer had failed here (fender-to-firewall connection with hood hinge attachment):
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

... but maybe water is expected to get in here and the unsealed panel on the inside is the problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first thought is windshield.
(y) This particular leak is happening without letting the water get to the windshield.
But I do have some other windshield leaks. I'll have the windshield reset if/when I get her repainted. I have some of that 3m sealant for the mean time. I think I need to wait until it gets alittle warmer so that I don't break the weatherstripping.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, I'm dumb. That body seam would just drain into the trough in front of the windshield and drain out through the fender, so the issue has to be that unsealed panel in the side wall of foot well, if not the windshield or door WS (process of elimination). It looks like the panel is bent and doesn't fit flush. I'll probably need to take out the driver's seat to get good access without injury. I can probably inspect it inside the fender well with liner removed. [Edit: You can't get to that panel from the outside without removing the outer and inner fender parts.]
Hood Air gun Wood Trigger Automotive tire
Wood Gesture Thigh Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Wood Gesture Tints and shades Human leg Wrist

·
Registered
2000 Astro Archer conversion. 4x4 kit. 73k miles as of 3/13/22
52 Posts
How is your rear door seal? I used to get water in my front center cup holders until i replaced the rear door seal. Im guessing water would run down the celing and just so happen drip off above the cup holder. All im saying is it could be coming from some unrelated place

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How is your rear door seal? I used to get water in my front center cup holders until i replaced the rear door seal. Im guessing water would run down the celing and just so happen drip off above the cup holder. All im saying is it could be coming from some unrelated place
It seems to be okay. I dusted it with talcum powder and didn't see any signs of leaking after a heavy rain.
I haven't tried to seal that panel yet (been playing around with the front bumper).
Edit: I missed that you said "rear" door seal. Yes, I have leaks back there. My interior is removed, and the van has been parked nose uphill, so I could see that the water wasn't coming from back there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hammered down that little panel on the left side of the driver's side foot well and sealed it with RTV. No more leak.
Thinking about how that panel got bent and pulled open, I might have done it when removing the plastic kick panel, but there was some rust so I don't know. It probably happened during some previous body work.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, there's still water coming in. Using my hose pipe I believe I have isolated it where the fuse block penetrates the fire wall.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tightened the fuse block screws (2 from inside, 2 from engine bay). One of the engine bay screws was stripped and the sealant was crumbling. The fuse block felt secure, so I removed the screw and filled the hole with RTV (please excuse the sloppy job).
Automotive tire Hood Gear Wood Bumper
Motor vehicle Coil Electrical wiring Gas Cable

It's still leaking, apparently at the body seams, so I ordered some seal sealer. This area was apart at least once in the past for body work, so it probably wasn't sealed properly during one of those repairs. or maybe the seal was broken by the accidents.
I know this isn't very complex, but I'm posting just in case it might help someone chase down leaks in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts