Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started having an intermittent problem with the liftgate not opening. I was able to narrow it down to the button switch itself. I found that if I push around the edges of the button, I can usually get it to actuate and open.

Is there a new switch I can get? Is the existing switch repairable? What does it look like?

Thanks

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,021 Posts
Carbon buildup on the inside. Time to pull it apart and clean. Use plenty of dielectric grease when putting it back together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool... So it's something that can be fixed!
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
964 Posts
Generally, as mentioned previously, it is just dirty/corroded contacts.
Take special note of the four small locating tabs when you separate the switch portion from the body. There are four very small locating tabs, but one is slightly wider. That is the critical spot when re-assembly, or it will not go back together completely. BTDT.
I should have marked the plastic body and the metal housing prior to disassembly. It took me a couple of tries to get the switch lined back up as a result of not noticing that 'fat' tab.
Rod J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh fantastic!
Thanks for all the details and pictures!
Very helpful!

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,091 Posts
The one on my '05 stopped working suddenly a couple weeks ago. In desperation, because we had to load something big to get on the road - quickly - I sprayed some Rectorseal KO Dirt Blaster in the lock mechanism and around the button, let it sit a few seconds, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-88438 ... B008A3UI56

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thrilled to have this fixed! Thanks again to everyone for your help!
I thought I'd pass this along... I put an old pencil in a drill and polished the contacts (I felt like a dental hygienist)
IMG_20210127_075519~2.jpg

Also... the silver plating missing on this contact I replaced with silver solder.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,719 Posts
AWESOME! Glad to hear that you got it fixed and thanks for the tip of putting a pencil in a drill to clean the contacts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We'll, it lasted about 9 months. I cleaned it again and it lasted about 2 weeks.
So... I bought a new one thru Rock Auto.
Ac adapter Adapter Cable Gas Electronic device

Font Rectangle Number Logo Brand

Reactions: MI_Ghost

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
964 Posts
We'll, it lasted about 9 months. I cleaned it again and it lasted about 2 weeks.
So... I bought a new one thru Rock Auto.
View attachment 281510
View attachment 281511
Thanks for the post.
When I saw the photo, I thought you had received the entire switch assembl, key portion and all.
Now I realize if is only the actual electrical portion, but very good to know it is available .
I finally found one in a JY a couple of years ago, and was able to salvage the electical portion. I think it is begining to get a bit 'fussy' on me now. It might be time to bite the bullet and get a spare while still available.
Rod J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It wasn't cheap but it's a new GM part... I should be good for another 18 years. : )

The hardest thing about that job is getting that dang Retainer Clip back on that holds the button assembly to the hatch. That little hose for the rear wiper is a little to close... It took me probably about 10 minutes to get everything apart, and about an hour to get it back together.

Somebody out there has probably got a trick...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts