Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No extra bump stops. They look identical to OEM.

I tried measuring the angle between the vertical edge of the hex slot and the flat bottom of the control arm. There is a difference. Though it is small enough that it could Just be margin of error in my angle finder placement. Aftermarket *appears* to be a few degrees more clockwise. Turning that end of the bar the same direction as the adjuster key is going to remove tension. Perhaps this is the smoking gun?

Who knows.

I've got aftermarket keys on order.

To those that lost some lift after changing control arms, were they Mevotech?
IMG_2262.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,308 Posts
This thread couldn't have come at a better time!

Roughly two weeks ago I replaced an upper control arm on my 2000 AWD due to a clunking bad ball joint. I replaced it with a complete Mevotech control arm kit. I have now done both uppers (both same Mevotech). Quality looks great.. everything went well.

I was surprised nobody noticed in my video showing the bad upper ball joint, also discovered the lower ball-joint had some play in it too.

I would have typically ordered Mevotech lower control arms if it hadn't been for this post (I've been satisfied with their products otherwise). I don't believe there is any way to install the control arm to the torsion bar wrong... BUT if the control arm's indexing is off (even by the slightest degree) the result would be a change in ride height. It is my belief (based on Onelostmoto's experience) that this may be the issue with the Mevotech lower arms.

Rather than confirm this to be the case (and be stuck with the same problem), I decided to order another brand. Lately the Moog's have been getting a pretty bad rap with cheap products coming from China. They are listed much cheaper than all the other brands online... and I've seen other forums where people complained their Moog control arm ball-joints didn't last a year. Seems hard to believe, but I saw this complaint more than once. The overall consensus seems to be that Moog is going down in quality and Mevotech is going up in quality (with exception perhaps of this indexing issue).

So I've ruled out Mevotech and Moog... and today I ordered a set of ACDelco Professional lower control arm sets. One site said their bushings were synthetic rather than rubber, which would be a bonus too. Most reviews on ACDelco are still the best.

Rock Auto currently only lists one side.. and by time you add shipping it's the highest price of everyone.
Ebay also listed only one side.. (I suspect both due to to out of stock/back order).
Amazon also didn't list both... probably same reason.

I found an excellent price (plus free shipping) at Summit Racing.. but the site also states they expect shipment sometime later this month. I placed the order today:

* 45D10217 Front DS Lower AWD $133 (free shipping)
* 45D10218 Front PS Lower AWD $123 (free shipping)

So now I wait and see.... :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mmusicman said:
I don't believe there is any way to install the control arm to the torsion bar wrong... BUT if the control arm's indexing is off (even by the slightest degree) the result would be a change in ride height.
Agree. At one point I had wondered if I could have installed them wrong until I realized the difference in a few degrees on the torsion key equals inches of ride height difference. For the hex end of the torsion bar to be slotted wrong it would be SIXTY DEGREES additional rotation. Yeah, no. Not gonna happen. Don't think it's even physically possible to install them wrong.

It seems the lifting keys I ordered are back ordered. Anyone got a set laying around their garage I can buy?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update:

Lifting keys arrived and install was simple. Was able to return the lift to its previous height before all these shenanigans started. This was a bandaid but it seems to have worked.

Now I have another problem. I popped out the tabs on the upper control arm mounts for more caster adjustment. The shop went as far as they could but driver side still has way too much positive caster. Van pulls hard to the right. Shop said it could be a bent steering knuckle, but I didn't have this issue before replacing the steering components. About to say fark it and put the old stuff back in. Grr.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, another update. Figured out the alignment problem.

NOT a bent steering knuckle. It was the wrong part.

I ordered Mevotech upper control arms from CARiD. My order history shows one LEFT and one RIGHT. However, they sent two rights and because I replaced the right side first, I didn't notice that the left was the wrong part. Took three alignment shops before someone finally caught it. It's ultimately on me, but wondering if Mevotech parts were packaged wrong or if CARiD sent the wrong stuff. (I don't have the packaging anymore).

Either way, van drives straight as an arrow now. Which is a nice change from the terrifying death weave of backwards control arms.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I can see the wrong upper arm causing severe alignment issues... but the torsion bars push solely on the bottom arms. Upper arm alignment issues will not affect ride height. Glad to hear you got the alignment issue resolved.

·
Registered
01 Astro Cargo RWD, 97 Astro Mark III AWD
1,835 Posts
Taking a step backwards.
Did you take into account torsion bar sag when your changed control arms and readjusted the bars?
It is not at all unusual for the passenger side to sag up to 1"-1.5"

Check with these guys to see if they have something compatible for the van:

https://suspensionmaxx.com/

I use these in my 99 K3500 and they are amazing so far.
Yes they do. For the S-10 which is the same 1.5" hex as the astro.
Definitely an option to adjust for sagging Torsion bars.
Part# SMX-MCS10

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, two different issues. The sagging problem I "fixed" with lifting keys. The alignment thing was an upper control arm issue (suspect the wrong part was in box and I installed it like a dum-dum).

Thanks y'all! Nice to be back in business.

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Did not really answer the question.
Did you have to use the reindexed keys to raise the passenger side higher because of torsion bar sag?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Taking a step backwards.
Did you take into account torsion bar sag when your changed control arms and readjusted the bars?
It is not at all unusual for the passenger side to sag up to 1"-1.5"
I guess I don't understand the question. If there was no torsion bar sag before why would there be sag after? The only thing that changed was the control arms. Really the only logical explanation I can think of is the hex key on the control arms was clocked a few degrees off.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I believe Mevotech AWD is clocking issue at manufacturing.
I decided to not chance same trouble for mine.

My UPDATE:

My ACDelco lower DS arm arrived after long delay a few weeks ago, but the PS is still backordered, expected later this month or next. I suspect it may be sitting in a shipping container off the coast of California.. like everything else waiting for it's turn to get unloaded.

I'm in no huge rush.. but I did put in my order 2 months ago (see my post above)...lol.
My DS has blown out bushing, and my PS has a worn ball-joint.
When I'm done (on my 2000 AWD), I will have replaced all the control arms upper and lower.

My 92 RWD has been clunking loudly on DS in turns backin up... I'll likely order the Mevotech lower control arm for it after checking condition of bushings, unless I decide to do ball-joint solely and air-chisel it off. It got one upper replaced already.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,426 Posts
I believe Mevotech AWD is clocking issue at manufacturing.
Has anyone compared them side by side? Would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I guess I don't understand the question. If there was no torsion bar sag before why would there be sag after? The only thing that changed was the control arms. Really the only logical explanation I can think of is the hex key on the control arms was clocked a few degrees off.
It would probably be the the only Astro in history that did not sag. The offset of the motor places more weight on the right front and the torsion bar design was not adjusted for this. It is a design flaw common to all Astros. Even the RWD sags at the right front. Even in your description you noted that the right side key was maxed out while the left key was only about 3/4. This shows that the right torsion bar sagged more than the left.

Unless you can locate a source for new torsion bars (these will likely have to be custom made). The only option is to change the keys. The aftermarket has turned a blind eye towards the Astro and information concerning specs is Ultra Top Secret. Only the the green men at Area51 know what is going on.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Both of my vans sat lower on the DS.

I suspect this is due to usually hauling just the driver.. plus the weight of the fuel tank on DS.. plus any added weight of loads placed against the DS wall.

My 92 got new springs.. my AWD got an extra turn on the DS adjuster.
All level now.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,426 Posts
Was heat used in their removal?

I wonder why Dorman stopped making them, they obviously could have some more made.

I don't think springs are anything really special, length, diameter, correct ends, clocking, etc. Want them softer make them thinner, stiffer make them thicker, want them adjustable in height use an end/key that have splines or change the clocking.

I had hope that Herbie would make some progress on the higher rate torsion bars, messaged him about 8mos ago and never heard anything back. Would you be interested in higher-rate torsion bars?

Maybe get a set of the indexed keys to put it back up to height.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts