Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1994 GMC Safari XT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Coming up on 4 years now with my Pluto and I am still battling with the dreaded Dutch door weather seals. I have bent over backwards to obtain OEM weather stripping for the upper door and I managed to rescue a drip sill from a junkyard and retro fit it to mine so the upper doors haven't really been an issue for some time.

However, the lower barn doors have always remained an issue and I haven't been able to find replacement seals worth a damn from any of my sources. Under the bed is almost constantly wet, recently I've even had to completely remove the trim on the lower doors down to the bare metal as the upholstery was a moisture magnet and was even causing mold.

I see the Steele rubber offering at an ASTROnomical price (pun absolutely intended) for something like $400 CAD. In addition to not being able to afford it I am also travelling so ordering them is beyond a pain in my arse.

Has anyone ever used any off brand weather strips for specifically the lower doors? Is there any way of using normal D-shape stripping to dam off the lower doors?

I'm living in a rainforest currently so this is a pretty big issue, also I may be travelling overseas and having to park the van for a bit so I'd really like to mitigate this as best I can .

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Tarps... [email protected] Fright or the like - then consider Van value and Steele stuff, 4 bills or not.
Yep, Ive learned to park my vans slightly uphill, if big rain is coming. Only takes a little bit. Never downhill. But, if I lived in the NW, I would be replacing all seals, probably add extra. Actually, I have a roll of the extra/universal, as recommended here on a thread, but not for rain, is because of dust on the dirt roads! Dust always leaves a mess.

· Registered
1994 GMC Safari XT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, Ive learned to park my vans slightly uphill, if big rain is coming. Only takes a little bit. Never downhill. But, if I lived in the NW, I would be replacing all seals, probably add extra. Actually, I have a roll of the extra/universal, as recommended here on a thread, but not for rain, is because of dust on the dirt roads! Dust always leaves a mess.
Ive replaced all upper seals in the back door and added some Amazon stuff to the front doors for wind noise and added protection. Seems to work pretty well.

I know it's the "cheap" route but I might try buying a bunch of universal D shape from amazon and just bomb the shit out of the back door with it. Hopefully that gets her right again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts