Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Mercedes 616/617 turbo diesel Astro build

47K views 237 replies 30 participants last post by  tinworm 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE- This is an old thread where all the images were lost due to broken links to photobucket in 2017. I have attempted to go through and upload images again, but some images may not necessarily apply to posts due to lack of availability years later

I been talking about this project, and after finally finding a "decent condition" Astro, time to start working on it!

The plan is to rip the OM616 65hp MB diesel out of my old Mercedes, adapt it to a NV3500 5-speed tranny, and put it in the astro van. The engine is also being mildly turbo charged. Its not built for it heat wise, but I should be able to get away with it, and a little extra oomph on hills would be much appreciated. Searching around, I discovered that the generation 2 passenger astro is only 600 lbs heavier than the 123 chassis MB I was previously using this engine in. I figure the generation 1 astro in the cargo version is closer to the 2 ton mark. The MB is around 3700 lbs.

Ultimately, for a fun swap project i am trying to build decent MPG manual tranny diesel work van. This engine was capable of 35 mpg in the MB with a .8 overdrive, the NV3500 I think is a .78, and I have to find a GM rear end that is close to 3.46, which was the MB rear end I had ready for my car. Stock, the 240 MB came with a 3.69, but with the turbo, a 3.46 would be better. Im not sure what the 1994 Astro has for a rear end, any ideas? If its not close, I will be grabbing another rear end from somewhere, or changing the gears.

Images of what the donor sedan looks like from wikipedia, the 207D that also was fitted with these motors (about the size of a express van), and a 1989 shorty recipient van-

Attachments

See less See more
#230 · (Edited)
The biggest dimensional change i had to make was height, mostly for removing the valve cover inside the engine compartment, i needed huge clearance above for that deep cover.

What i ended up doing was a 4 inch subframe lift, then installing drop spindles to drop the lift down to 2 inches.

Im not familiar with the 605 and 606, i dont think they have the same super deep valve cover do they?

Lengthwise the 617 fit perfectly, just had to make changes for the taller engine.

EDIT- i should clarify that the 616 and probably the 617 fit in the engine compartment height wize without any modification, apart from the impossibility of removing valve covers.

#232 ·
I never put many miles on the van with the 617, i had a vibration issue from improper balancing and it was geared wrong for the half powered 616. I needed to put the original diff back in.

I have a 4 inch body lift and 2 inch drop spindles.

#235 ·
It finally emerges after 8 to 10 years
Whatever you can do to keep rodents out of a stored vehicle, do it. This is a disgusting mess that will probably require removing the dashboard eventually

Attachments

#238 ·
Luckily there was no real interior, the only thing soft left in the van all that time was a single seat and a short cargo headliner which I have low expectations for.

I'm hoping a lot of masked scrubbing can get me back to something someone can actually sit in. I'm certain the whole heat ducting system has to come out as well.

!@#$%& mice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.