Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm going on 8 years of having my van lifted and at least 8 different versions/levels of it.

Im somewhere around 6" front and 7" rear.

In my quest for spending more time on the IFS instead of doing a SAS like I should, I'm extending my control arms to get more travel out of it.

I'm extending the lower arms out by 1" and the uppers by 3/4. So it's nothing crazy but the wider I go the less leverage the torsion bars have.

Mocking it up I got 10.5" of travel bump to bump.

I have an extended upper ball joint and flipped to the lower side of the arm. As well as spaced my idler arms down a bit to soften some angles. Diff will be dropped down 1.5 or 2".

Video of progress so far

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Great video. Thanks for posting. Way beyond my talent/knowledge how will you lower that differential? I will be watching.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Passenger side diff mount is welded up to move the axle tube down while driver side will get new mounts welded on lower.

I've been wanting to do this for a few years and having something else to drive and a garage I can leave it in for more than a weekend is making it possible so I'm pretty excited!

All stock parts showed up like CV axles and such but one axle was defective . Still waiting on the machine shop for the upper control arm sleeves and tomorrow will stop and show them what I need for bushing sleeves made.

·
Registered
2004 Astro AWD, 2004 Safari 2WD
599 Posts
impressive!
yes a garage usually makes all the difference!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Video of yesterday's work uploaded. I'll probably type something after work on it

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
albrow100 said:
Great project!!

What are your plans for the axles? Won't the need to be longer now?
Thanks! And yes so I'm switching too 2003+ axles since they are an inch longer than my original 2002. If I was going wider I would have cut and sleeved the stockers.

I'll try to remember to do the embed. On the app its not as handy as the full site

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
C11MAN said:
I'll try to remember to do the embed. On the app its not as handy as the full site
No worries, I was just mentioning it in case you wanted to embed them. I edited the posts above for you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished up fabricating the diff drop brackets. Now to replace carrier bearings then that can go back in. Started bolting things like the lower arms and shocks in as well as the longer adjuster bolts.

I know I could get the indexed keys but with the stock I can get the keys out without the unloading tool. So longer bolts is good with me.

New tires showed up today so now to get them to my buddys to mount them up! Maxxis razr MT 32x11.5r15

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
407 Posts
Any updates?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts