Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
421 - 440 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Well, it has been quite a while since I said, "Hanging the vinyl LT door panel is a piece of cake"...

Actually... I NEVER said that. If I did - Donald Sutherland's spores have invaded my body and the real me will be with you shortly... ... ... ... call Civil Defense or any woman w/ a pointy brassiere.

Getting the Passenger Door panel ready to "Hang".

2112 PS Dr Panel Tree Retainers

I replaced 6 of the 10 with New "from China" Tree-Style Retainers. The new ones go in too easy and pop back out with the slightest of pull.
Blue Arrows - tight OEM retainers

2114 PS Dr Panel Window Wiper rubber
The Velour carpet/int. material is surprisingly in good shape - no burns, stains or blems of any sort.
Again... surprise, surprise.

Wiped off the Window Wiper - sprayed the outside w/ CRC silicone - here again, Rubber Wipers and Door Seals, in general, are in Very Good Condition.
Lucky is the key word here. PM is another...

2116 PS Dr Panel Mirror pkt trim
Had to trim some of the Peel n' Seal at the top left side - about 1/4" X 1" long and opened the retainer hole.

Some Random thoughts before "Hanging the Panel w/ Retainers"...

- in retrospect - wish I had test fit w/o any retainers, which may show possible problems, etc..
- you can leave the "bottom 2 rows of 3 retainers out till finishing the rest of the door vinyl. Twist 'em in Later.
- you can always use some small hd. screws to 'bring things in'.
- I may take it back off- start over - use some, replace some ret'rs. with older ones.
- Screws - experiment a little keeping them covered - ( not show, sm hds ... ... )

2118 PS Dr Panel NEW RETNRS ARE SHIT.jpg

The 2 corners with the "NEW" China Retainers... Well you could throw a small dog, some big treats up thru that gap and the Panel just flops around w/o pulling in tight.

Damn... pushing in was too easy and the "Tree Branches" do not hold well enough - especially when "Fully Inserted".

2120 PS Dr Panel Window Crank align

As you reassemble...
Made sure to keep 3 things in Alignment: At the Red Arrow:
- the center of the Motor Drive or Handle location.
- the "Door Paper" OEM 1" diam. diag. cross cut opening.
- the center of the Hole in the Vinyl Door Panel.

The Yellow Arrows - 3 slots that must be obstruction - free.

2121 PS Dr Panel Arm Rest align

Looking back - the Cyan Alignment Rules - it's where it ended up...

Just Hate that the Retainers suck.

Covid Bats probably sucked the strength outa the poor suckers... ...

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:

·
Registered
155 Posts
nice work :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
Thanks, Dom - like you, I am not rushing 'anything' - LOL.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So... finishing the Passenger Door and a few Notes about Reassembly.

2123 PS Dr Panel finish items
Getting ready to put the Arm Rest back on, I rechecked the tightness...
- and ensuring the Torx star points are in the same Orientation & Pattern.
- also installed the "Access Plug" w/ molded writing Aligned Horizontally.

- sprayed a shot of white lithium ( I know, Privileged ), cuz I could not find a BIPOC brand.

2125 PS Dr Arm Rest & retainers
The Yellow Arrow points to the only OEM Screw that goes into the Dr. Panel.
( there are 2 more shown later, but they go into the Arm Rest and Door sheet metal )

The Red Arrow - one of "Those" spring steel Retainers & it's slot in the sheet metal.

Lastly, and barely visible, one of the 2 Alignment retainers ( Blue Arrow ) that hold the back edge of the AR down...
- They are inserted - slid in 1st before pressing down the steel bottom Retainer.

2127 PS Dr AR screw holes & rtnr

Can't get enough Arm Rest views... ? Here we see the 2 screw holes down in the bottom of the Hand Hold.
Note, make sure the Retainer 'foot' is 'spread' to ensure a 'deep hold'.
And check the bottom surface in that same area is "Concave" and/or flat, so no lift or bulginess ( new word today ).

2129 PS Dr AR screws
Ran a couple down into the wood and wire brushed - look OK, but...
- I will be using SS screws and a flat washer when finished.

That "Hand Hold" has been full of coke, coffee, engine starter fluid, champaign, vomit, water ( sea and fresh )...
- so no rusty crap...

2130 PS Dr Lock Slider tite

I added a piece of alum/snd dead'g stuff - Yellow Arrow - to make the Door Lock Slider slip on tighter.
It is actually held on by the Top Cover - this just keeps it from flopping around a bit.

2132 PS Dr Lock Slider Trk

Back side of the Slider shows a 'Track' to Align with the 'Nib' on the Panel. Gotta' Love The Cyan.
Also helps with determining which way the thing goes on...

2134 PS Dr Elec Conns & tabs & rtnrs
The back side of this Trim Panel is bristling with Locators, Tabs, Retainers, Connectors, Stallions, Lions...

A few Notes, Wire is very hard and brittle now - ESPECIALLY now that I wrapped the Harnesses so Tight and Tidy.
They will not move unless spoken to in kind gentle tones lined with barbed wire.

I would recommend a dry fit before hooking it up.
Make sure the sheet metal Retainers are at "Full Grab".

When pressing the Retainers in, press the area around the Switch also so as not to separate the two.

2136 PS Dr Elec Panel fin 1

Everything went back together OK - I am Very Very pleased with the overall...
- Look, Feel, Quiet, Operation and the Closing ( new car ) "Dull Thud".

This is the Perfect excuse or reason to post my First Video - " Film @ 11 ".

2138 PS Dr Elec Panel fingerprint 2

Missed a fingerprint... really I can't believe these Panels are almost 30 years old w/ 200K on them...

Now back to the Driver's Door from Hell.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
You, sir, are most definitely the authority on our doors. Any door question I could imagine having should be answered in this thread. The twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one should prove invaluable to anyone needing a reference.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
I was so impressed by how well the Passenger Door turned out after a few months of restorations.
I'm kinda' slow & methodical ( naw, just plod along... ... ) - health & weather conspire to finish it for me.

The Clincher was the Sound it made when the Door thudded home.

So... a couple Milestones in One Post:
- This is number 5,000 - and it has been 7 years - also, uploaded over 1,400 pics ( all Oriented properly )

- But had never uploaded a video to the Net, much less here - So here we go:

When I finish the elecs from the Driver Door, I will post my 2nd Video of Both Doors doing their respective "Duties".
Lock, unlock, roll up and down, working from either Door, et, etc.

Surprised about a couple of things while fiddling w/ this Video - 15 secs, 6 meg unedited. I do have Elements from a couple years ago - not used at all.
Camera - used Jeannie's Coolpix W100 ( new a few years ago ), I have no idea of format, FPS or any other storage settings or options.
I also have a cell ph ( moto x - new a decade or 2 ago ), but have no idea on that either.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks, Big - I appreciate the fact that it's hard to get real excited about a stubborn, foolish...
- butthead fussing with the Doors on a 30 year old, 6,000 lb. hobby.

ps: the door sounds better than the video... of course

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Lol Mike, I love it!
The door does sound right.

Would it surprise you that house doors have a "sound"?
They do, it may be a little nuts but I've hung so many that now when I finish an interior 6 panel I close it with my fingertip listening for a satisfying clunk. :clap:
More than once after installing a door with the homeowner hearing that clunk I have been hired to make all the doors in the house clunk as well.

Nice job, congrats on the posts and thank you for the pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Daddy, I'm keeping my Astro!" That's what I sang when Obama was trying to get them all crushed.
Thanks for restoring the Astro and sharing your work! There is some great writing in this thread! Very enjoyable reading!
This will be great reference material for my '93 LT, 7 seater. I've had it since new but I had to park it outside so it is really showing its age. I still really enjoy driving it! Every time I see it in the driveway I get a good feeling. There have been so many great family memories made in the van!
I fixed the injector spider and transmission seal last year, and I just got the AC fixed. Front suspension rebuild will be my next major job. This weekend I replaced the driver's side door handle and passenger side automatic lock switch and I'm working on the cruise control. People think I'm crazy for putting money into this old Astro (359,000 miles), but Its special to us. Anyway, if people don't think you're crazy, you're doing it wrong!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
This is rubbish

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
I'm hoping this will be fixed. A picture is worth a thousand words, but I'm not that verbose.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Mike,
I don't have words for this one.
the pictures don't work, all the familiar smileys are gone.
I'll try one the new millennials offer.

:poop:

no,,,
sh t shouldn't smile...

·
Registered
2004 Astro AWD, 2004 Safari 2WD
599 Posts
shades of Harmony Central....

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
When my photos are fixed - someone let me know - I may come back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
any pics of the van now? i saw door closing video and what i saw looked a professionally repainted or detailed out side. whats the interior look like?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
any pics of the van now? i saw door closing video and what i saw looked a professionally repainted or detailed out side. whats the interior look like?
Yeah, The Van looks great - In n' Out.
And yeah, I have plenty of pics, but am not uploading any more or posting ( besides this courtesy reply ) till the Forum owners take the time to Fix the embedded pic problem and the album display crap.

See you around - on any other day...

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
any pics of the van now?...
Here's a summary - been a while since we touched on The Van project/build besides Door Stuff:

Front end, Grill, Lights, Engine Detailing, etc, etc, etc. From a couple years back.

Couldn't help but do a Close up.

Here's a few from when we joined in 2014:

Obviously could use a Buff n' Polish.

What started as a Headliner Replace... ended w/ gutting the entire Interior and pointing out all the attachment retainers, locators and headaches along the way. Carpet was very needy.

Here it is mostly all back in - no Visors yet - 2nd row passenger overhead seat belt deleted

Recently after a Bath - still needs a Buff, Blow and Binary pronoun...

Badges... we need stinkin' badges...

The comfy seats make this Trim Option well worth it.
Luxury Touring sounds so nice anyway...

OK, it's the Badge Trio.

Got the Visors from a Late Astro or some GM, double, w/ pullout and Lights - both sides...
Heaven, at last - LOL

Had to remold the substrate fiber board to get the late model Bravada OH console to fit up w/o gaps.
Fun project and new to the fiberglass work - turned out well.
Lights work, but compass, trip comp and thermometer are no shows w/o a GM comp interface.

So I interfaced a third party unit to get gas mileage, ETs and temp, engine data.
Had to tap into the gas supply signal and TSS data from the ECU.
Then tune w/ USB or Bluetooth. Fun project for an older Van.

A couple later door pics from earlier this year. It is a hobby - but I keep it a DD, as well:

Passenger door finished, got my video - then the Window won't go down...
Driver door lock won't unlock - but only the driver side - pass side still unlocks both sides.
Angry does not do it justice.

Here is an AWD version of our The Van... In motion.
This one has a wide bottom stripe also similar to Randy's.

Our Build is not done... still have:

• Doors to 'finish'
  • RR view mirror
  • RR D Pillar Cover w/ or w/o speakers
  • Wheel center caps
  • New speakers - dash and RR doors
  • Heater h2o valve to ball valves

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Pics! I see pics!

·
Registered
155 Posts
(y):cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
shame about the compass not working and being on the NSA watchlist for having unapproved access to a time a machine.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Yeah, when I first turn the key and start The Van, it shows the Correct Temp. and Compass Dir. for just a sec or 2, then goes blank or dashes. It's missing a 'serial device' of some sort, according to the wiring diags.

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Vehicle Fixture Motor vehicle

421 - 440 of 442 Posts