Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
461 - 480 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,284 Posts
Just curious why this personal opinion and political 'Conversation' is still being posted as part of 'Mike's 1992 Resurrection / Bucket List' ;
instead of in the Off Topic' section, with a different subject line.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
Just curious why this personal opinion and political 'Conversation' is still being posted as part of 'Mike's 1992 Resurrection / Bucket List' ;
instead of in the Off Topic' section, with a different subject line.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

Current Affairs

·
Registered
'93 Astro LT Ext w/ FE3 (RWD), 7 Passenger, Dutch Doors, Med Teal, 4.3 V6
194 Posts
On those pesky sun visor clips, I found a trick. After boogering up the headliner board on one (trying to cut though it with a Dremel tool), on the other I shoved the largest allen wrench that would fit up it's hole and pushed the far end screw receiver as far up as I could. Then I yanked it with pliers. It came out pretty quick without damaging the headliner board on that side. I bought some "new" clips off ebay so I didn't try not to damage to originals, but with my trick and alittle care they might be reusable. They'd probably need to be reshaped back to original configuration with heat.

I have a lot of repairs to do to my headliner boards. I was planning to have an upholstery shop do the recovering. I wonder if they do quality repairs to the boards or just recover basically whatever is given to them.

FYI, your build has been an excellent guide so far!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
Thank You for the compliment - as it was one of the 2 reasons ( help someone w/ confidence to get in to it ) we started on it.

Have you thought of putting some of your Van info in so it appears below your avatar ?
mis/dis/mal info has cost a few only becuz of... well... you get it.

Wish I had thought of "The Amazing Draw-Tight Expanding Plastic Anchor", like you did.
Repairing the Headliner was a fun new experience... just enough fiberglass fiddling to not hate it.
and it sure made the newer OH Console fit nice.

Oh and one other thing. About your project and the stuff you do to the Van.
One of the "Rules of the Forum" is: Pictures or it Never even Happened.

All in good Fun - LOL ( oh gawd... please don't report me for harassment... please )

LOL - really

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank You for the compliment - as it was one of the 2 reasons ( help someone w/ confidence to get in to it ) we started on it.

Have you thought of putting some of your Van info in so it appears below your avatar ?
mis/dis/mal info has cost a few only becuz of... well... you get it.

Wish I had thought of "The Amazing Draw-Tight Expanding Plastic Anchor", like you did.
Repairing the Headliner was a fun new experience... just enough fiberglass fiddling to not hate it.
and it sure made the newer OH Console fit nice.

Oh and one other thing. About your project and the stuff you do to the Van.
One of the "Rules of the Forum" is: Pictures or it Never even Happened.

All in good Fun - LOL ( oh gawd... please don't report me for harassment... please )

LOL - really
I plan to add some pictures as soon as I decide to spend the time to figure out how. Sad right? I guess I need to join some photo sharing service. These type boards (auto and sports) are the extent of my social media activity.
FYI, I've been on this board in its various versions for years, just under different names. I went away for periods and forgot my old user name (or the board wouldn't recognize it) and then would have to start over. I never posted much though. In the old days it was all about V8 swaps, shaving and lowering. Now it seems to be more about lifting and restoration. Interesting how the use of these vans has changed over the years.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
And you do not need a service to post pics... see that 'paper clip' above the blue 'post reply' box ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mike, are you planning to keep the 2nd row seat that you don't use?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
Golly,

The site is really slow w/ notifications - still nothing in my inbox - you posted about a day ago...

I am keeping all "LT" captains seats and bases for now, they/parts are good for backup cushions, etc.
If I do part - I have your name and info/need/wants in mind.

Just curious - are you interested in cushions or bases ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Golly,

The site is really slow w/ notifications - still nothing in my inbox - you posted about a day ago...

I am keeping all "LT" captains seats and bases for now, they/parts are good for backup cushions, etc.
If I do part - I have your name and info/need/wants in mind.

Just curious - are you interested in cushions or bases ?
Cushions/covers. My base is still good. My driver's seat was badly worn so I swapped the cushions from the 2nd row driver's side seat. Now I'd like to replace the bad cushions if I can find some at a reasonable price, I doubt a trim shop could replicate the material and piping very close.
Did you sell the overhead console? I may be interested. I was thinking about cutting the rear storage box area out to mount a drop-down TV monitor. I have a few decision points before being ready to buy, but It would be good to know if it is available. (Decisions like: 1. Determine if previous body work can be corrected, 2. determine $$ for body work and repainting. 3. Resolve vibration at highway speed.)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
  • I doubt a trim shop could replicate the material and piping very close.
  • Did you sell the overhead console?
First off, while I am not so sure about someone wanting to 'redo' your Visors, I am pretty sure a good Trim Shop should be able to repro ANY style of Interior stuff. I REALLY think these LT seats are worth saving and redoing if the price is comparable to comfort, looks & OEM feel.

I did not sell my Gen I OH Console and you are right about shipping. Your call...
You may look around your JYs, might get lucky. I could not tell from your pic if the req'd. wiring or brackets are there.

Thanks for the pic ( you must be pooped... :rolleyes:), always look forward to more...

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 · (Edited)
At 1st, I thought Ukraine was really important because Joe is sending Kamel 'Hairless' Laughing Hyena to get things straightened out.

Oh, and she has a new 'TIC' - "the arm wag", for when she can not laugh.
ugh.. That came later.

Then I thought... it MUST be more impotent than thhhaaat...
So, a little research... There's this song from long ago's Beatle's White Album:

...Well,
The Ukraine girls really knock me out (...Wooh, ooh, ooh)
They leave the West behind (Da, da, da)
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout (... Wooh, ooh, ooh)
That Georgia's always on
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my mind

Oh, show me 'round your snow-peaked mountains way down south
Take me to your daddy's farm
Let me hear your balalaikas ringing out
Come and keep your comrade warm

Ukraine girls / ladies / women have - BY FAR - the best Legs in the world - don't know why, but just take a look at a few famous Ukrainian ladies of recent fame. I'll give you a few minutes... ... ...

And then there is this - mind you - there are a few items rated higher and a bit lower.
I fact - checked the entire list.

I had no idea why Putin and everyone else likes this country so much - check this out:

“Why does Ukraine matter?

How the Independent, Sovereign, Democratic nation of Ukraine ranks:

1st in Europe in proven recoverable reserves of uranium ores;
2nd place in Europe and 10th place in the world in terms of titanium ore reserves;
2nd place in the world in terms of explored reserves of manganese ores
(2.3 billion tons, or 12% of the world’s reserves);
2nd largest iron ore reserves in the world (30 billion tons);
2nd place in Europe in terms of mercury ore reserves;
3rd place in Europe (13th place in the world) in shale gas reserves (22 trillion cubic meters)
8th place in the world in coal reserves (33.9 billion tons)

Ukraine is an Agricultural country:

1st in Europe in terms of arable land area;
3rd place in the world by the area of black soil (25% of world’s volume);
1st place in the world in exports of sunflower and sunflower oil;
4th place in the world in barley production and 4th place in barley exports;
5th largest producer and 4th largest exporter of corn in the world;
3rd largest producer of potatoes in the world;
4th largest rye producer in the world;
5th place in the world in bee production (75,000 tons);
5th place in the world in wheat exports;
9th place in the world in the production of chicken eggs;
Ukraine can meet the food needs of 600 million people.

Ukraine is an Industrialized country:

2nd in Europe and 4th largest natural gas pipeline system in the world
(142.5 bln cubic meters of gas throughput capacity in the EU);
2nd largest in Europe and 8th largest in the world in terms of installed capacity of nuclear power plants;
3rd place in Europe and 11th in the world in terms of rail network length (21,700 km);
5th largest iron exporter in the world
4th largest exporter of turbines for nuclear power plants in the world;
4th world’s largest manufacturer of rocket launchers;
3rd place in the world in clay exports
5th place in the world in titanium exports
8th place in the world in exports of ores and concentrates;
12th place in the world in exports of defense industry products;
12th largest steel producer in the world (32.4 million tons).

Wow, I had no idea...

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
And that " Britney Griner " thing...

Rot in Hell, 'hater of all things USA'.

stoopid bimbo, coulda' scored once there... but noooo...

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
And that " Jussie Smollett " thing...

Rot in Jail, 'hater of all things LOGICAL'.

...oh wait... they let the LYING racist gal out - LFG

·
Registered
194 Posts
Speaking of visors, about 8 years ago the van had an electrical short that kept running the battery down. A shop determined that the lighted passenger side visor mirror was the problem and I agreed to let them just cut the wire. I hope to fix it when the headliners is out. I'll be using the pictures and info that you posted about the visor mirror in the process of fixing it.
Mike
I found the reason the vanity light was staying on. The little plastic nibs that held the contactor on had broken. Looks like a job for JB Weld.
Audio equipment Bumper Electrical wiring Gas Machine

The plastic was also broken at one of the two springs the closes the visor cover.
Wood Sleeve Collar Magenta Font

FYI, a local trim shop said they'il do the headliner, the two visors, and repair one of the driver side wall panels (shown in your picture 478 - zipper and stitching) for $450. That is a discounted price since I have all the items already removed. It didn't sound like they would do much repair on the back of the headliner boards, so I'll do that part myself following your methods).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mike, I'm preparing my headliner for recovering and have a question related to the console cutout. I fiber-glassed the back at broken and cracked spots and did a poor job on those two strips that cross through the console cutout. The fiberglass is very rigid and not very flat, so I think it will cause me some fit-up issues when I reinstall the headliner or the console. I know you removed those for your Bravia console, but do you think they serve any purpose for the original console? If they don't I'd like to remove the strips before the fabric is attached. If they just provide a cushioned surface for the console I could probably just substitute foam tape.
Wood Bumper Beam Gas Automotive exterior

Wood Gas Automotive exterior Composite material Tints and shades

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Hey, just realized somebody rang the doorbell... LOL

I really think those 2 narrow strips were just for positional rigidity when new.
Had to think for a sec... Wow, that was back in Sept, 2014 ( the good ole' "O'Biden" days ? ).

We only had to build out the inside about 1 1/2" p/s for the newer OH Console.
Won't have to if you are sticking w/ getting the older one for testing / cutting.

Here was the post w/ most of the repair / reshaping stuff:
Here's how the experiments and repairs turned out:

I think this FG backboard material came from a 91' S-10 - Higher Trim content. Most of the Hdlnrs. I saw were of some plastic or composite substance or were the same FG board, but way thicker and denser. Manufacturer, model year, Trim level or Conversion type didn't seem to make a diifference as to what backing board was used.

This was one of the first "Edge" glue tries - with a 1 oz. to 10 drops FG Resin to Hardener ratio, which takes a long time to dry, sorta' stays tacky and did not hold up well to the "Bend Test" - broke open on other side.

Final edge glue test - it was a TIE between the Weldwood Contact Cement and this, the Liquid Nails Perfect Glue - Clear. This a gel type instant soak in and bond with no "wetting" required ( like the Gorilla glues ). Both held so well, the FG board breaks first - even these 2 stiff pieces.

Key here being - that the material stays pliable "longways" for reinstall and conforms to the contour of the new OH Console.

Long bend test - with parts glued on edge - Weldwood cement and FG resin and FG tape used for strengthening. Why NOT test this stuff both ways.

Close up showing thin application. Had all my supplies handy and tape was pre cut, then I used the recommended ratio of 10 drops of Hardener to 1 oz. of Resin - mixed up 1 oz. total.
Applied one good soaking to the back of the backboard material, laid down 1 layer of tape and soaked it pretty good, but just to cover the tape. Took 24 hours or so to "dry", but never got real hard and stayed kind of tacky. Took 2 days to cure fully.

The Hardener seems to make all the difference here in Fiberglass world.

Not much left, so I used the remainder to strengthen some of the edges, divots and small cracks here and there on the back of the front backboard.

Did a "Dynamic" long bend test from both directions - still pliable, but stiff, not very forgiving if gently conforming to shape is the goal. But it is Rudely strong - backboard material will bend, collapse and break well before the FG breathes hard.

This is good for my application - which is to repair the long cracks longways and laterally, as well as repair other broken spots - i.e. Visor areas, edges - from the back.

Repair of the SBR flap - used Weldwood Contact Cement for the edges. Let it dry for a day and reinforced the other side small gaps in my patch with the Liquid Nails glue. It came out very strong, pliable and seam-free on the good side.

My replacement piece even has the "Curve or curl up" that the original had. Yes, it was on purpose - everything here was perfectly planned out well in advance and totally over-engineered and fretted about.

Lucky me - as I only have one chance to get this right the first time. It's not like I can just pop down to the local parts joint or JY for a new or used Headliner Assembly.

And did I mention how huge this thing is?? Seems like every night I have it out of The Van - it grows. It's a late 1970s 2 car garage, but you'd never know it - what with The Van, all that interior stuff, toolboxes, workbench over flowing with Hdlnrs., workmates and sawhorses holding everything up made of Vinyl or FG.

Geez, where'd I put my glasses now...

I think the Console cutout addin strips turned out just fine - Edge glued with Weldwood because I had more of it than the Nails stuff. I lightly "slit" the top and bottom material to allow it to conform to the 1" wide strips. The cement set up for about 10 min and soaked in well before I joined and kneaded them together. A strip of regular duct tape kept them bonded underneath.

They are still pliable so the front end of the Console will fit and conform ok.

High strength Gorilla tape covers the lg. divot in front of the Console - we shall see if the tape shows thru prior to any glueing of Foam backed hdlnr. mat'l. Be very careful what you get this tape stuck on. I've got the "Randy Verification" on that one. And I'm here to tell ya - pulls fiberboard backing off sooo easily.

Again, Gorilla tape used to reinforce the backboard at the crack for when I need to flip it or move it around. FG Resin and tape will be used on the other side.

Just checking on how the Console will fit - propping/holding the backboard up like it is in The Van, originally I had planned to shave or sand the Console Trim Ring ( the pt. w/ the apolstery on it ) to fit the contours of the Hdlnr. Then glue and re-cover it w/ material.

Instead, it has been easier to make the backboard conform to the shape of the 1998 Bravada Console.

Fairly sizable gap - 3/4" - to make up and cutting the Console to fit would have made it too thin to be affective in that area. I tried using foam to push it down long ago before I pulled the Hdlnrs. out as a fit up test and I didn't like the inconsistent fit, FG stress & the hassle.

So... I took the plunge and Glassed it in hard - made 4 oz. - 10 drops hard to 1 oz. resin plus 10 extra drops. Laid a good soak in, 1 layer of tape, another healthy soak, 1 more layer, soaked it all in good. Later changed to wax paper and put cornhole beanbags on to force the FG and board into the contour. Vacuum-forming... who needs it?

It helped that I lightly slit the top and bottom layers every 3/4" about 1" long on both sides all the way around the back end - I showed some of these "radial" cuts in the previous photo. There are more than shows in blue and they allowed the backboard to gently follow the line of the Trim Ring.

Another view - plastic got stuck like glue in minutes - changed to wax paper later.

24 hours later and worked perfect and Hard As a... well, hard as a Corvette or say, a Brick !!! Time will tell if I got it right. Material covering the Trim Ring and the Hdlnr. will help / hide / cover many imperfections. I keep telling myself that...

Pass sd. crack fixed for the most part - used the same mix as above, but only used 1 layer of FG tape. Backboard still has some flexibility and I still need to re-attach the Velcro strip.

Visor areas fixed with some loose FG backboard mat'l. and a light soak and FG tape, same mix. Amount of tape and resin kept to a minumum.

Remainder of the mix used to reinforce some edges, loose mat'l. areas, weak spots, etc. till the mix started to gel. Probably worked it too long, but the 4 oz. seemed perfect - took about 10 mins.

One note: With 10-12 min "pot time" ( workable resin mix before it starts getting dry/solid ), have an idea what's to work on, tape precut, etc. before making your resin/hardener mix. Once your mix is stirred - you gotta "get it on".

Yep, all the tools of the repair project. Used it all except the yellow spreaders. Learned alot, enjoyed myself, stunk up the house, learned how valuable a good facemask is and how nice having more than 1 pair of gloves would have been. Also learned to "Keep your Fingers Out of It".

Old body man's adage: "5 cheap ones are better than 1 good pair".

With all else going right, we should be putting the Hdlnr. material on the 2 backboards this weekend.

Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey, just realized somebody rang the doorbell... LOL

I really think those 2 narrow strips were just for positional rigidity when new.
Had to think for a sec... Wow, that was back in Sept, 2014 ( the good ole' "O'Biden" days ? ).

We only had to build out the inside about 1 1/2" p/s for the newer OH Console.
Won't have to if you are sticking w/ getting the older one for testing / cutting.

Here was the post w/ most of the repair / reshaping stuff:
Thanks Mike. I'll just cut those pieces off. You did really nice and neat work on your van.
Mike

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 · (Edited)
Been a couple months, but... ( ok, 4 mos. )

I don't get down to the Garages much anymore to do anything.
But occasionally, I have to show Jeannie where some of the Home Maintenance, Infrastructure & Logistics are located.
Seems half the time we have to "Go Around" The Van.
Here we go over Main Water ( H2O ) and the Outside Hose Winter Shutoff ( look away, Scott ).

Here we are walking past The Van

See that Pink Insulated Pipe in the corner...
See the 5 gallon Can between the covered stack of Astro Seats and the File Cabinet...?

Step on the Can, reach for the Blue Handwheel with gloves and long sleeves
The Whole House Shut Off is marked on the wall half way up.

Then we went on to the Humidifier Water, Medium Change & Furnace Filter blah, blah.

Also posted something on Memorial Day
( Off-Topic so we are sure no one will see it - BUT US )

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
And that " Jussie Smollett " thing...

Rot in Jail, 'hater of all things LOGICAL'.

...oh wait... they let the LYING racist gal out - LFG
That threw me for the longest time... I was like why the eff is everyone talking about Jessie's mullet?!

Lets go Brandon! good stuff, keep the updates ah comin!

461 - 480 of 503 Posts