Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
481 - 500 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Heh, heh... ( rather nervously )
But be careful __ you __ to get __ and wear ___ ( fill in the blank ) around here - Hall Monitors abound.

------------------

Here's 2 more F'n POSs that belong in "Special Traction":

Rot in Hell, " Payton S. Gendron " - go out of your way to shoot innocent Blacks.

Thought they'd put 'em down... but noooo... he pled NOT guilty... with how many witnesses ?

------------------

And that " not every shooter is a white supremacist " thing...

Rot in Hell, Jail or Texas, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, 'hater of children'.

...oh wait... the coward was let go on by cowardly cops afraid to charge ahead, weapons blazing ( seems like a "missing" trend for the last 2-3 years ). Did they say, "it's not worth it" ?

He will be Rotting... somewhere...

------------------

I was down around The Van again a couple weeks ago, I forgot - got those Fog Lights.
Shame I will never get to see 'em working. Or the doors finished or the hitch done or the speaker enclosures covered or the spare & gadgetry put up... or, or, or.
The gas in there was a nice $125 investment. Put a sign up - trying to sell it by the 5 gallon pail/bucket.
Gas was $4.17 here last week. Same tank of gas - next day... $4.55. For no reason.

I went down there in the Altima and asked them if they want to buy back the 20+ gallons in the Astro.
The Los Lobos dude almost went for it... LOL.
He remembered me buying it last year - $1.78, I have the receipt.
We laughed - ha... ha... ha... ha

Seems like a good time to rip someone off by selling this van. $2500 seems reasonable.
I wondered what it would be like to belong to this forum - but not own a van.

This new van site really is not much fun anymore and...
- I do not have much more than dialog about current affairs.
So be it.

·
Super Moderator
7,047 Posts
10 years ago I'd have had a lot more to say about current affairs. Trouble was though, it was taking a physical toll on me and adding stress to my life. I cannot watch the news or follow current events anymore due to health issues. Much of it is blatant enough to see by reading headlines, knowing that the source's reason to exist is to garner our attention via the most effective means possible, all while not forgetting the spin put on it all. If I pay attention I flare, then I'm useless to everyone and become a non-functioning drain on society, and increase stress on those around me. If I avoid the triggers I can pretty much function and stay afloat. Those are the choices available to me. Follow along and become incapacitated, or pay minimal attention, get through it all, and vote my conscience when the time comes.

I don't post a whole lot of van related content because I don't drive it much, I've had it for 14 years and done all of the big things to it that I've had in mind for it. Maybe I'll do a pictorial of the upcoming oil change and valve cover swap? I tend to get involved in what I'm doing and forget to take pics while I'm doing it. The biggest thing on my wish list might be fixing the AC after not having it since I've owned the van. I was THIIIIIIS close to it when I blew the engine. I had the missing seal and enough refrigerant to fill it at the time. Then I blew the engine, the AC took a back burner. In the meantime those little cans of 134 were used here and there, and have now doubled in price. Maybe one day it'll happen, but today's not the day. Tomorrow ain't looking to good either.

If you sell the van you won't be the first one to be here without owning a van. Life happens, we get it.

Gas here is anywhere from $4.35 to $4.99. I do as many of my errands as I can while I'm working. I can usually get things done without going out of my way at work.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
Big_kid said:
"10 years ago I'd have had a lot more to say about current affairs."
yup, the wifey hated Obama back then... I didn't give a shit... too busy STILL WORKING for a cool company running and programming a Mazak lathe making parts for Hi-Perf Brass Valves.

Cast my 1st Vote EVER for Trump in 2016, 2nd for Trump in 2020.
It was the first time in my life that I had paid attention and became woke to conservatism instead of abortion.
Will NOT EVER vote again.

About all I can do is make sure those around me ( small circle of friends n' family ) simple know.
And they have to listen to my drivel to boot...

With that in mind, I went looking for Numbers, Facts and Info:

One evening as the sun went down
And the jungle fire was burning
Down the track came a hobo hiking
And he said, "Boys, I'm not turning"

"I'm headed for a land that's far away
Besides the crystal fountains
So come with me, we'll go and see
The Big Rock Candy Mountains"

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
There's a land that's fair and bright
Where the handouts grow on bushes
And you sleep out every night

Where the boxcars all are empty
And the sun shines every day
And the birds and the bees
And the cigarette trees

The lemonade springs
Where the bluebird sings

All the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs

The farmers' trees are full of fruit
And the barns are full of hay
Oh, I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow

Where the rain don't fall
The winds don't blow

You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks

The brakemen have to tip their hats
And the railway bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew
And of whiskey too

You can paddle all around it
In a big canoe

The jails are made of tin
And you can walk right out again
As soon as you are in

There ain't no short-handled shovels
No axes, saws nor picks
I'm goin' to stay
Where you sleep all day

Where they hung the jerk
That invented work

I'll see you all this coming fall
I'll see you all this coming fall

Songwriter: Harry Mcclintock

DATELINE

CHICAGO - 2021 - a record year
797 Homicides ( but 2022 looms larger - 524 as of Mid May )
3,561 shooting incidents

AND... now get this... they got 12,088 guns off the street.

US - 2019 Death by various means: 39 just this past weekend

Rifles 364
Knives or cutting instruments 1,476
Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) 397
Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) 598

Yes, Guns ( which includes shotguns & pistols ), in general, beat "Knives", but...
"Rifles" ( from 22 to AR-15 ) got beat out by "Knives, etc"

Baseball Bats as an Assault Weapon or Shotgun or... ...

·
Registered
'93 Astro LT Ext w/ FE3 (RWD), 7 Passenger, Dutch Doors, Med Teal, 4.3 V6
194 Posts
DATELINE

CHICAGO - 2021 - a record year
797 Homicides ( but 2022 looms larger - 524 as of Mid May )
3,561 shooting incidents

AND... now get this... they got 12,088 guns off the street.

US - 2019 Death by various means: 39 just this past weekend

Rifles 364
Knives or cutting instruments 1,476
Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) 397
Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) 598

Yes, Guns ( which includes shotguns & pistols ), in general, beat "Knives", but...
"Rifles" ( from 22 to AR-15 ) got beat out by "Knives, etc"

Baseball Bats as an Assault Weapon or Shotgun or... ...
I was in LA, CA during April 2021. There was a knife murder almost every day in the news. It reminded me of England. Killers gunna kill.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 · (Edited)
I started taking out the battery tray today for rust removal and coating and discovered the cable running through one of the legs. I saw where SixSix mentioned the pesky brake cable but I couldn't find a post that said what to do about it. From the Haynes book I'm guessing it is the parking brake cable (?).

Is disconnecting the cable and pulling it through the firewall a fairly easy task, or more like something to avoid if at all possible? I'm thinking access in the driver side foot well might be a problem.
Just for future reference, to remove the cable at the pedal, according to the last post in the thread linked below, I need to "loosen the front cable as much as possible with the adjuster nut next to the gas tank...pb blast it night before can be a pain ..then go in cab and take needle nose vice grips and pull the cable out of the holder. "

Nope. I probably got my e-brake out of adjustment now.

From watching the following video, I need to apply the e-brake, vise grip the cable, release the brake and it's loose! I just need a tool to release the tab-nut thingy.

You Will Be Making a BIG Mistake if You Follow That Video.
Plus... that "Special Tool" was not needed.
We were not "Changing" the Cable.

You may have looked at this post:
About halfway dn the page shows the goofy spring hold back and another with the Pesky Cable Joint Disc.

This is one of those times when I thought I had "put up enough data". Going back, reading again, this time as a 'complete dunce' instead of just part time.

Couple more pics and a few paragraphs of blather would have been in order.
Here's a few things:
  • release the brake
  • remove Drvr. Foot Panel - 3 screws / view the way the cable end is retained to remove - not much slack is needed ( looking back - Panel rem. is NOT needed )
  • took the spring off underneath
  • loosened the dohickie 1/2" or so
  • vise grips and push / pulling in the right direction works wonders on the 'Disconnect'.
  • when you get it apart, you'll go... whaaat ...?
  • now with gobs of slack, remove the Pedal end of the Cable and push / pull it back out the Engine Bay.
  • once just past the unbolted Tray, route it behind and back into the Hole headed for the Pedal again.

- reverse order - I did not worry about the exact location of the dohickie and it's 1/2", that should work out fine if close.

This post has Drvr. Foot Panel removal and shows some of the E-Brake stuff - 'bout 3/4 down the post:

Hope these help, we're just sitting here, if there's more wonders... LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks Mike! That should fix me.
(I don't know how I missed this info. I searched your build thread on "tray".)

Thanks again for your build thread!
Aside: I wonder if these build threads would be easy to publish as e-books on Amazon (with Astro-Safari dot com getting royalties or something). You might could make a little money and start a trend.
Mike

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
Thanks - had thought of doing a "sticky wannabe" on The Van doors, but COPD got in the way.
... amazing... there's still a couple reasons I hang out here. Your Van appears to be one of 'em.

Besides, Will ( AstroWill ) really has the most extensive and best info on our Vans, albeit in an entirely different format.
Can't recall, do you own Chilton's and Factory Service Manuals ? Unbelievably, there were a few things shown in the Chilton's that were 'breezed over' in the FSM.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks - had thought of doing a "sticky wannabe" on The Van doors, but COPD got in the way.
... amazing... there's still a couple reasons I hang out here. Your Van appears to be one of 'em.

Besides, Will ( AstroWill ) really has the most extensive and best info on our Vans, albeit in an entirely different format.
Can't recall, do you own Chilton's and Factory Service Manuals ? Unbelievably, there were a few things shown in the Chilton's that were 'breezed over' in the FSM.
I only have a couple of the Haynes books. It's embarrassing. If I'm going to do this stuff I need to improve my garage library.

I'm glad you still hang out here. I'm sure a bunch of other folks do too!

Mike

Reactions: Bikley

·
Super Moderator
7,047 Posts
Reading this made me realize something. I've owned my van for 14 years now, and don't have any sort of manual for it. No FSM, Haynes, Chiltons, nada. How have I kept it (mostly) running all this time?

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
234 Posts
I made my self buy the factory shop manual after buying a new vehicle.
My first shop manual was my 1981 GMC JIMMY, then 1993 GMC Safari, after that 2002 Chevy Astro, 2006 Chevy HHR and now 2004 GMC Safari. I had other used cars around the time of 1981 till 1993 but did not buy them then. The books were expensive for a younger person at that time.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Well, it is Official now.

Joe Biden is easily the Worst President in our Country's History.

Those other Presidents never physically hurt anyone's Wallet.
No Wall St. to fall back on any more ( for his 'Handlers' either ).
And compared to 2 yrs. back with Covid...
- yeah, the rebounding economy is "Looking Great".

With the country where it is financially, physically & personally...
- who is caring about "Paying off the National Debt"?

His list of successes is shorter than the "Guide to French Naval Victories".

Him wanting to ramp up Renewable Energy Sources is fine, but he should have remembered :

The 5 Ps...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
There is no paying off the debt under a debt based system. The only way to "pay off the debt" is audit the Fed, do away with the Federal Reserve Act and return to a true USD, not the FRN.
Realistically, there is no way to ever pay it off under exponentially growing spending and 0 oversight or accountability of how are tax dollars are being spent.
Kudos to Rand Paul for attempting to add in to the last $40B to go to Ukraine it should have oversight but of course got denied.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time (usdebtclock.org)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pulchritude
Pompadour
Phallus
Partnership
Propaganda
?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Well, the Bengals just PSA'd a losing DECADE with their POS Loser quarterback.

His quote ... doesn't think people should be able to get "those crazy guns that everybody's using..."

So much for Cincinnati Bengals ( mark my word - he will not EVER win a playoff game again, with this team )
He cannot imagine how many 'fans' he lost w/ that one statement.
Although, I think he knew EXACTLY what he was saying.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, the Bengals just PSA'd a losing DECADE with their POS Loser quarterback.

His quote ... doesn't think people should be able to get "those crazy guns that everybody's using..."

So much for Cincinnati Bengals ( mark my word - he will not EVER win a playoff game again, with this team )
He cannot imagine how many 'fans' he lost w/ that one statement.
Although, I think he knew EXACTLY what he was saying.
I heard somewhere that he never attended a class at the school where he won the Heisman.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
Does anyone really care... at this time... these days... ???

I have to admit... it was a nice ending, after not winning everything, but winning something.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone really care... at this time... these days... ???

I have to admit... it was a nice ending, after not winning everything, but winning something.
Even college sports is having a "great reset."

481 - 500 of 503 Posts