Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of vibration from the engine mostly when foot on brake and in drive. I really really do not want to crawl under the van and do motor mounts. I read about them and looked underneath to see how bad a job it would be. The passenger side seems really hard to do. So I went to my mechanic and asked him how much to install mounts he said the labor would be $200 each mount. I said what if I do one side would he do the other. He said yes he would do the hard passenger side separately. Knowing this I bought some mounts thinking I would do the driver side and see how it goes and maybe attempt the passenger side too. After spending 4 hours in 88 degree heat doing the driver side I decided I will have the shop do the other. Driver side looked pretty easy but it was not so easy. I was thinking it might be easier to line things up if the other side is loosened. Perhaps not.

but just doing the driver side has made a massive improvement! I would guess that 80% of the vibration is gone. I was not sure it was going to improve because the old mounts did not look bad but when I got the one out I could see that the rubber was dried out and hard as a rock.

If I drive around for a few days with only one mount replaced, am I risking anything? I have to make an appointment and it might be several days for them to get to it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After a bit of a project interuptus, I took my van into my shop to have the other motor mount installed. Happy not to have had to do the passenger side. the van rides great now and idles nice and quiet. Well except the next day a fan shroud rattle has developed. It looks like the new motor mounts raised the engine up to the proper height but that the fan shroud is now contacting the fan blades at the top. I have bad grommets holding the air filter housing in place. so I wrestled up some grommets and that took some of the pressure off of the top of the fan shroud. This made it rattle less but did not completely eliminate the contact. So I think I need to raise the top half of the shroud a touch some how. So maybe a washer under the two bolts connecting it to the bottom half and a little "adjustment" to the top center bolt slot to raise it all up a tiny bit? What do you think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Friends, hello everyone! In Russia, too, good pillows can not be found, only China. Look what came out of improvised and not expensive materials. On Saturday I will put it, then I will unsubscribe. In the photo, the hinge of the spring from the truck, the inner diameter is 16mm. But I need 12mm. I will insert Tube adapter. Plant Wood Font Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Auto part Gas Wood Metal
Wood Gas Automotive tire Auto part Art

1 - 8 of 8 Posts