Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the ways that the muffler supports are done in a 2" lift in RWD.
The links in the other AWD articles that recommend to use do not work on Amazon.
I tried using ones that have 1 hole on top and 3 on the bottom on my AWD but they ripe because of no metal inside the rubber.
I am adding pictures showing the 3 locations that need to be extended.
I was thinking of using 2 original ones end to end by using a U-bolt but that would make it more than 2 " being closer to 3".
I have a 3" rubber support and was thinking of using at the tail pipe as that would the furthest away from the 2" lift in front.
The other idea was to have 2 bars on each side of frame and drill holes 2" away from original location. This way it drops the original bracket rod down to the new lower position.

The pictures are from back of van to front.
The transmission support is not shown as that support will move down with engine frame.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Black Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Pipeline transport Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original exhaust hangers had metal bands inside the rubber. Not at the holes.
They keep the rubber from stretching past the ability to hold.
The ones in the pictures are AP replacements supporting to the original height.
Not sure if there are metal bands in theses ones.
When I was installing them, the exhaust pipe hangers, they were close to the limit of vertical height travel before either cracking or bending the pipes. It seemed that the pipes were not lined up to the hanger brackets.
After installing the new rubber supports I also went and changed the engin and transmission mounts.
It looks to be ok now in supporting the pipe.
Both the GM original ones and AP Exhaust 8066 ones are the same 2" spacing between the holes.
Still I wonder what other people did on their 2" body lifts before I do my lift.
Any pictures?

The shocks are Gabriel brand and they came with boots and no instructions on how to attach them or any advice or wisdom on their use.
[GABRIEL 77454 (Increased Handling/Stability) Max Control Monotube Rear]

Nothing on the web site either to explain the benefits or how to secure them other than an included Ty-rap in the box.
I just installed them in the front and back of the van.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Ok, so I don’t think the problem is the hangars…. I think they are just not long enough to share the load.
Here is my solution.
I bolted two of the extended hangars together with 1/2” (2.5” long) bolts….
Guitar accessory Musical instrument String instrument accessory Wood Tool

For the double mount (just aft of the muffler) I doubled the oem mounts and set them on an 10” long 1/2” bolt. I think I am going to add a spacer between them

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Rim Font

The mounts seem to fit well, line up well and I suspect this will work out ok.
Automotive tire Tire Wood Fender Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Helmet Motor vehicle Bicycle part

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a great idea to just bolting 2 stock length hangers. I will try that once I get to that point.
Where did you get the the other bar to mount on the frame?
My frame mounting positions on my RWD drive is different than yours.

By the way, do you happen to know the diameter of the hole to be drilled to relocate the hand brake cable.
I drilled a 1/2 hole but to small. I do not have next size larger bits. So before buying one it would be nice to know the correct size.

·
Registered
1997 AWD GMC Safari
871 Posts
I actually recently did something almost identical to what sailing faith did. I didn't do a bar between the two isolators aft of the muffler, but the rest is pretty much the same. I combined isolators so everything sits better.
My tailpipe and muffler separated because they were being pulled in different directions by the isolators and I found this got things into a more agreeable position.

Not a very helpful pic, but here is a before and after.

By the way, do you happen to know the diameter of the hole to be drilled to relocate the hand brake cable.
I drilled a 1/2 hole but to small. I do not have next size larger bits. So before buying one it would be nice to know the correct size.
That info is very likely in the 2" or 3+1" lift threads.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you added the clamp around the muffler to add a second hook bracket.
It seams that you have more room or a slightly mount on your van than my 2004 RWD.
How did you mount the second hook to the frame.
The second and third picture from the begging of the thread is how my 2004 RWD locks like at stock height with very little room to add another hook down.

I looked over the 3 other threads and the link that the narrator has on lifting the van and none of them say the diameter of the hole for the brake cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts